Gravity/Planetary Forces Question - High School physics question

In summary, the problem is to find the distance an object must be from the sun and Earth for it to be perfectly balanced between their gravitational forces. The solution involves equating the gravitational forces on the object due to the Earth and the sun, which results in an equation with three known quantities - the masses of the Earth and sun, and the Earth-sun distance. The mass of the object and the gravitational constant, G, cancel from both sides of the equation.
closertolost

Homework Statement

Find the distance an object needs to be in between the sun and the Earth for it to be perfectly balanced (not moving)

Homework Equations

mass of Earth = 5.98e24 kg
mass of sun=1.991e30 kg
distance between sun and Earth = 1.479e11 m
Fg=Gm1m2/r²

The Attempt at a Solution

well, i tried making the Fg zero for two equations - one with Fg of the object to the sun, and one with Fg of the object to the earth..but it got messed up..can someone help me?

can i sub in the mass of the object as 1kg?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: The point at which the object won't accelerate is the point at which the gravitational forces on the object are *equal* in magnitude (and opposite in direction).

No, you don't need to substitute in a numerical value for the mass of the object, because it should cancel from both sides of the equation (meaning that the point at which the forces balance doesn't depend upon how heavy the object is).

so, do i put
Fg=(6.67e-11 x 5.97e24)/d²
Fg=(6.67e-11kg x 1.991e30kg)/1.479e11m-d² <---because d is the distance to the object, and 1.479e11 is the distance from sun to Earth (?)

oh, and then cram the equations together :P

closertolost

When I hinted that the gravitational forces on the object due to Earth and the sun were equal, I meant for you to actually *equate* them. So, using the subscripts E and S for Earth and sun respectively, we have:

FE = FS

GmME/r2 = GmMS/(R-r)2

You'll notice I've done something interesting here with the distances. I've decided to call the distance between the Earth and the sun "R." So, if the object is a distance r from Earth, then its distance from the sun must necessarily be R-r (since the problem states that the object lies along a straight line connecting the two celestial bodies). If you're still not sure, draw a diagram. EDIT: I see that you already figured this out, nice work.

You'll also notice that m, the mass of the "test object" cancels from both sides of the equation, and so does the gravitational constant, G. This leaves you with an equation for r (the thing you are trying to calculate) in terms of three known quantities. The three known quantities are the masses of the Earth and sun, and the Earth-sun distance, R.

ahah thanks very much! i have it now :)

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a force that exists between two objects with mass. It is the force that pulls objects towards each other and is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun.

2. How does gravity impact the motion of objects?

Gravity affects the motion of objects by pulling them towards the center of the Earth. This causes objects to accelerate towards the ground at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms, while weight is measured in Newtons.

4. How does the mass of an object impact its gravitational force?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational force. This means that larger objects, such as planets, have a stronger gravitational pull than smaller objects, such as a basketball.

5. How do planetary forces affect the movement of celestial bodies?

Planetary forces, such as gravity, play a crucial role in the movement of celestial bodies. These forces determine the path of an object's orbit around a larger body, such as a planet orbiting the sun. They also play a role in the formation and evolution of galaxies and other large-scale structures in the universe.