Magnetic repulsion force between two cylindrical magnets

In summary, the magnetic force between two cylindrical magnets can be determined by measuring the distance between them and calculating the stored energy.
FA@A
I'm doing an investigation where I am trying to find the repulsion force of cylindrical magnets. For this I have two ferromagnetic disk magnets on their sides, so that the curved sides face each other. In the investigation I push one of the magnets with a constant force towards a stationary one, and I'm trying to find the magnetic force between them the moment that the moving magnets has 0 velocity before it starts being repelled backwards. I then increase the magnetic field of the stationary magnet and repeat the process. I'm having trouble finding a way to determine this magnetic force. I have magnetic field sensors and can measure the distance between the magnets when v = 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
The stored energy is

W = ½∫B·H dV = 1/2μ0∫B2 dV
where dv is integral over all volume (includuing inside magnets).
The force in the x direction is

Fx = dW/dx

Bob S

Bob S said:
The stored energy is

W = ½∫B·H dV = 1/2μ0∫B2 dV
where dv is integral over all volume (includuing inside magnets).
The force in the x direction is

Fx = dW/dx

Bob S

I'm not entirely sure that this would work for me. I'm assuming that the 'V' is voltage, but I'm using permanent magnets and this seems like it applies to electromagnets?

FA@A said:
I'm not entirely sure that this would work for me. I'm assuming that the 'V' is voltage, but I'm using permanent magnets and this seems like it applies to electromagnets?
Voltage does not appear in this situation. The second magnet starts moving when the force exceeds the static friction force. It should be the same if the two magnets repel each other or attract each other. If you put the two magnets on a slope where gravity becomes important, you can measure the actual force by comparing the repulsion force to mg.

Bob S

1. What is magnetic repulsion force?

Magnetic repulsion force refers to the force that exists between two magnets that causes them to push away from each other. This force is a result of the magnetic fields produced by the magnets interacting with each other.

2. How is the strength of the repulsion force between two cylindrical magnets determined?

The strength of the repulsion force between two cylindrical magnets is determined by the distance between the magnets and the strength of their individual magnetic fields. The closer the magnets are and the stronger their magnetic fields, the greater the repulsion force will be.

3. Can the repulsion force between two cylindrical magnets be greater than the attraction force?

Yes, it is possible for the repulsion force between two cylindrical magnets to be greater than the attraction force. This can occur if the magnets are positioned in a way that maximizes the repulsion force, such as placing their like poles facing each other.

4. How does the size of the magnets affect the repulsion force?

The size of the magnets does not directly affect the repulsion force between them. However, larger magnets may have stronger magnetic fields, which can result in a stronger repulsion force.

5. What factors can affect the repulsion force between two cylindrical magnets?

The repulsion force between two cylindrical magnets can be affected by several factors, including the distance between the magnets, the strength of their magnetic fields, and the orientation of their poles. Other external factors, such as the presence of other magnetic materials or the temperature, can also influence the repulsion force.