Can someone explain this to me?

• Thread starter reesespieces2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the conversation discusses various ways to make a soda can roll down a level hallway on its own, without using a motor or battery power. One method involves using a flywheel, brake, and coupling, while another method involves using a spring to transfer energy to the flywheel. Another example is given of a toy that uses a rubber band to make a figure inside a ball roll forward, which is similar to other devices that use a bicycle drive to roll on a central hub.
reesespieces2
I'm trying to make a soda can roll on its own down a level hallway and someone gave me this explanation on a possible way to do it, but I'm having trouble understanding how to execute it. Can someone explain it in different words?

"One complicated mechanical way is to put a flywheel inside, on bearings, and with a brake, and a coupling of some sort. If you temporarily connect the flywheel to a motor and get it spinning, set the can on the surface, then turn on the brake, the can will take off.

Or you can get it spinning with a crank and some gears. Or a spring.

with the spring, you don't need to get the flywheel spinning beforehand, the wound up spring will transfer it's energy to the flywheel and make it spin, and make the can rotate in the opposite direction."

I'm not allowed to use a motor (or anything battery powered) so I'd have to go with the spring method.

Physics news on Phys.org
reesespieces2 said:
I'm trying to make a soda can roll on its own down a level hallway and someone gave me this explanation on a possible way to do it, but I'm having trouble understanding how to execute it. Can someone explain it in different words?

"One complicated mechanical way is to put a flywheel inside, on bearings, and with a brake, and a coupling of some sort. If you temporarily connect the flywheel to a motor and get it spinning, set the can on the surface, then turn on the brake, the can will take off.

Or you can get it spinning with a crank and some gears. Or a spring.

with the spring, you don't need to get the flywheel spinning beforehand, the wound up spring will transfer it's energy to the flywheel and make it spin, and make the can rotate in the opposite direction."

I'm not allowed to use a motor (or anything battery powered) so I'd have to go with the spring method.

There once was a toy. It was the figure of a man inside a ball-shaped cage. The figure had a weight in its feet, and a rubberband was wrapped around the axle that connected the man to the ball. I think you wound it with a key on the outside. Anyway, as the rubberband sought to raise the man's feet the ball would roll forward (assuming you wound it in the right direction).

There have been devices built on the same principle where a real man with a bicycle drive is suspended below a central hub connected to something like a gerbil cage (without the supporting apparatus).

1. What does "explain this to me" mean?

"Explain this to me" is a request for someone to clarify or provide further information about a specific topic or concept that the person does not understand.

2. How do I ask someone to explain something to me?

You can ask someone to explain something to you by saying "Can you please explain this to me?" or "I don't understand, can you explain this further?"

3. Is it okay to ask someone to explain something to me?

Yes, it is completely okay to ask someone to explain something to you. It shows a desire to learn and understand new information.

4. What should I do if I don't understand someone's explanation?

If you don't understand someone's explanation, it is okay to ask them to clarify or rephrase their explanation. You can also ask for additional examples or resources to help you better understand the concept.

5. Can I use "explain this to me" in a professional setting?

Yes, "explain this to me" is a commonly used phrase in professional settings. It is a polite and effective way to ask for clarification or further information.