Conceptual Physics: Solving Problems in Math & Science

In summary, the individual is struggling with basic physics problems and is seeking assistance in understanding which formulas to use and how to approach the problems. They are specifically having trouble with problems involving gravity and horizontal velocity. They are reminded to separate the vectors and use trigonometry.
damn forget that one too.

Physics news on Phys.org
Now.

Now 2

Attachments

• physics.jpg
    physics.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 410
I guess if there are people watching this they are laughing haha.

if i get a 0 in between the parentheses can i multiply it by 1/2

Dsoto489 said:
if i get a 0 in between the parentheses can i multiply it by 1/2

zero times 0.5 = zero.

That's why I corrected my mistake... I forgot the K of the integral

sweet

d=.06780672

Thank you for the help, i will try again tomorrow.

AAh you really want me to get my pencils out to resolve that eh ? :P

Ok! So after reworking the problem with different numbers this is what i did and the problem i needed to resolve:
A ball rolls off a shelf which is 2.8 meters high. If it leaves the shelf with a horizontal velocity of 6 m/s, calculate the distance from the base of the shelf at which the ball will strike the ground.

first i used Dvert=1/2at^2 so, 2.8=1/2 x 9.81 x t^2 solving for the time- the time it would take the ball to hit the floor. after square rooting it took aprox .75s to fall.

using Dhoriz=Vot D=6 x .75 the distance from the base at which the ball will strike the ground is 4.53m!

-There is only one other problem I am unable to resolve...

taking a trip you travel 63mph for 30 min, 22mph for 45 min and stop to eat for 20 min. What is your average speed for the entire trip?

what i keep doing is adding the speeds and averaging them, 63+22+0/3=28.33, this answer is wrong(the computer program for school i am using keeps telling me this) Total time is 95 min=1.55hours, i have tried several different ways and just do not get this problem(it seems easy though!)edit+ 85/1.55 =54.83

If you or someone could show me how to approach these types of problems dealing with different speeds over time that would be great. Thanks again proc!

Last edited: