Difference between Strong Induction and Mathematical Induction?

In summary, the principle of Mathematical Induction and the principle of Strong Induction are equivalent methods of proof. While simple induction is easier to understand and use, strong induction can make certain proofs easier by assuming multiple previous cases to be true. Both methods should be familiar to anyone studying mathematics.
phillyolly

Homework Statement

Explain the difference between The principle of Mathematical Induction and The principle of Strong Induction. One is easier than the other. Why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My book says that they are in fact identical. Proofs are almost the same...

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that true that Mathematical Induction is easier to use VS Complete (or Strong) Induction?

i've only really used the basic induction... but I suppose it would depend on the problem though

Depends on how you define "easy." If you read the section on the wiki article that lanedance posted, you'll see that Complete Induction actually makes many proofs (e.g. theorems based on Fibonacci numbers where recursion is necessary) much 'easier.' It makes sense since recursion falls back onto previous cases, and strong induction already assumes these to be true. I'd get comfortable with both types of induction if I were you.

With simple induction you use "if p(k) is true then p(k+1) is true" while in strong induction you use "if p(i) is true for all i less than or equal to k then p(k+1) is true", where p(k) is some statement depending on the positive integer k.

They are NOT "identical" but they are equivalent.

It is easy to see that if simple induction is true then strong induction is true: if you know that statement p(i) is true for all i less than or equal to k, then you know that it is true, in particular, for i= k and can use simple induction.

It is harder to prove, but still true, that if strong induction is true, then simple induction is true. That is what we mean by "equivalent".

What is the difference between strong induction and mathematical induction?

Strong induction and mathematical induction are two different approaches to proving statements about mathematical objects. The main difference between them lies in the way they use the base case and the inductive hypothesis.

How does strong induction differ from mathematical induction in terms of base case and inductive hypothesis?

In mathematical induction, the base case is used to prove the statement for the first natural number and the inductive hypothesis is used to prove the statement for the next natural number. In strong induction, the base case is used to prove the statement for the first natural number and the inductive hypothesis is used to prove the statement for all natural numbers up to and including the next natural number.

Which approach, strong induction or mathematical induction, is more powerful?

Strong induction is considered to be more powerful than mathematical induction because it allows for a stronger inductive hypothesis, which can be used to prove a wider range of statements.

Can strong induction be used to prove every statement that can be proven using mathematical induction?

Yes, strong induction can be used to prove all statements that can be proven using mathematical induction. However, the reverse is not true - there are statements that can be proven using strong induction but not using mathematical induction.

When should strong induction be used instead of mathematical induction?

Strong induction should be used when the inductive hypothesis needs to be strengthened in order to prove the statement. It is also useful when the statement being proved depends on multiple base cases.