Historians Admit To Inventing Ancient Greeks

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inventing
But in the US, where we are free to make fun of ourselves and our institutions, it's inexcusable to not get the joke.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Aha! I knew it!

http://www.theonion.com/articles/historians-admit-to-inventing-ancient-greeks,18209/

WASHINGTON—A group of leading historians held a press conference Monday at the National Geographic Society to announce they had "entirely fabricated" ancient Greece, a culture long thought to be the intellectual basis of Western civilization.

The group acknowledged that the idea of a sophisticated, flourishing society existing in Greece more than two millennia ago was a complete fiction created by a team of some two dozen historians, anthropologists, and classicists who worked nonstop between 1971 and 1974 to forge "Greek" documents and artifacts.

"Honestly, we never meant for things to go this far," said Professor Gene Haddlebury, who has offered to resign his position as chair of Hellenic Studies at Georgetown University. "We were young and trying to advance our careers, so we just started making things up: Homer, Aristotle, Socrates, Hippocrates, the lever and fulcrum, rhetoric, ethics, all the different kinds of columns—everything."

Physics news on Phys.org
At least MIH new it was a joke. :tongue2:

What's next, the Greek Theater is really French?

Evo said:

And a gnu joke, at that!

Does that mean Jimmy the Greek doesn't exist?

Ivan Seeking said:
What's next, the Greek Theater is really French?
Nooo! Not Aristophanes! He was real! Nobody could make up those plays.

Evo said:
I didn't no that. :tongue:

stupid thing to joke about, especially when almost no one knows the history of the people that they rely on to be as comfortable as they are today

:/

turbo-1 said:
Nooo! Not Aristophanes! He was real! Nobody could make up those plays.

I meant THE Greek Theatre, but that too.

So when Bill and Ted went to visit Socrates, was that all faked? :bugeye:

Math Is Hard said:
I was pretty skeptical. The Greeks were very advanced, but might not have had 24-bit color video cameras to record the event. 16-bit, maybe...

turbo-1 said:
I was pretty skeptical. The Greeks were very advanced, but might not have had 24-bit color video cameras to record the event. 16-bit, maybe...

Judging from the way they depicted everything on their vases, it was 1 bit at most.

Borek said:
Judging from the way they depicted everything on their vases, it was 1 bit at most.
1-bit printing, maybe. Not all technologies proceed at the same rate.

There is still that batch of so-called historians&intellectuals busily at work inventing something they call The Religion of Peace and the multicultural paradise Andalucia...

I was discussing this with my old frat brothers from Iota Nu Beta. We agreed that this hoax was a herculean effort. But now that it has been exposed, there will be repercussions of olympic proportions as lawyers who have lived a spartan existence will open a pandora's box of law suits, leading to a cornucopia of settlements.

arildno said:
There is still that batch of so-called historians&intellectuals busily at work inventing something they call The Religion of Peace and the multicultural paradise Andalucia...

lol.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I was discussing this with my old frat brothers from Iota Nu Beta. We agreed that this hoax was a herculean effort. But now that it has been exposed, there will be repercussions of olympic proportions as lawyers who have lived a spartan existence will open a pandora's box of law suits, leading to a cornucopia of settlements.
<wipes off monitor>

AH NUTS I thought that it said Ancient Geeks

Math Is Hard said:

Obviously! Everyone knows that all real space-time phone booths are blue police boxes.

Fake
Bill-And-Teds_l.jpg

Real
[PLAIN]http://www.coated.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/tardis-ice-bucket.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
edward said:
AH NUTS I thought that it said Ancient Geeks

No, those were the guys who would get all worked up waiting for the next version of abacus.

In defense of anyone not realizing the satire, once a legit newspaper in China republished an article from The Onion, not getting the humor.

http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/news/2002/06/53048"

Here's the original The Onion article. It's hilarious.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/congress-threatens-to-leave-dc-unless-new-capitol,98/"

collinsmark said:
In defense of anyone not realizing the satire, once a legit newspaper in China republished an article from The Onion, not getting the humor.

http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/news/2002/06/53048"

Here's the original The Onion article. It's hilarious.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/congress-threatens-to-leave-dc-unless-new-capitol,98/"
Understandable, coming from a country where you might go straight to jail for doing what the Onion does.

What is the story behind "Historians Admit To Inventing Ancient Greeks"?

According to this claim, some historians allegedly admitted to fabricating the existence of the ancient Greek civilization. This story originated from a satirical article published by The Onion in 1998, but it has since been taken out of context and spread as a false rumor.

Is there any truth to the claim that historians fabricated the ancient Greeks?

No, this claim is completely false. The Onion is a well-known satirical news source, and their article was meant to be humorous and not taken seriously. Historians have never admitted to inventing the ancient Greeks, and there is extensive evidence and research that supports the existence of this ancient civilization.

Why do people continue to believe this story?

Unfortunately, the internet and social media have made it easy for false information to spread quickly and be taken as truth. Additionally, some individuals may not have fact-checked the original source of this claim and have shared it without realizing it is a satire.

What impact does this false claim have on the field of history?

This false claim has no impact on the field of history. Historians rely on evidence and research to understand and interpret the past, and the existence of the ancient Greeks is well-documented and widely accepted.

How can we combat the spread of false information like this?

As critical thinkers and consumers of information, it is important to fact-check and verify the sources of any information we encounter. We can also support reputable news sources and promote media literacy to help combat the spread of false information.