Reading a scale as a function of time (need formula)

In summary, the conversation discusses adjusting a scale to read zero with a large, shallow pan on it. A water faucet at a height of 3.1 m is turned on and water falls into the pan at a rate of 0.16 kg/s. The task is to find a formula for the scale reading as a function of time, where t > sqrt(2h/g). The solution provided includes the variables g, R, and t, but it is noted that the h variable is not needed. There is also a discussion about a cylindrical container with an area of 11 cm^2 and finding the reading for t=9.2 s.
pinkybear

Homework Statement

A scale is adjusted so that when a large, shallow pan is placed on it, it reads zero. A water faucet at height h = 3.1 m above is turned on at t=0 and water falls into the pan at a rate R = 0.16 kg/s.

Determine a formula for the scale reading as a function of time t for t > sqrt(2h/g).
Express in terms using some or all of the variables: h,R,t

AND

Replace the pan with a tall narrow cylindrical container with Area of 11 cm^2 and find reading for t=9.2 s

The Attempt at a Solution

I got this
g*R*(t-sqrt(2h/g))+R*sqrt(2gh)
but it says i don't need the h variable, I'm stuck..

...the function of time is the time it takes for the water to fall 3.1 meters plus the rate times time?

Physics news on Phys.org
pinkybear said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I got this
g*R*(t-sqrt(2h/g))+R*sqrt(2gh)
but it says i don't need the h variable, I'm stuck..

...the function of time is the time it takes for the water to fall 3.1 meters plus the rate times time?
One problem with your formula is that it gives the incorrect reading at t=sqrt(2h/g). What should the reading be at that time, and what does your formula give for the reading?

1. What is a scale as a function of time?

A scale as a function of time is a graphical representation of how a particular variable changes over time. It shows the relationship between the two variables and can help track trends and patterns.

2. How do you read a scale as a function of time?

To read a scale as a function of time, you need to look at the horizontal axis, which represents time, and the vertical axis, which represents the variable being measured. The values on the vertical axis will correspond to specific points on the horizontal axis, allowing you to see how the variable changes over time.

3. What is the formula for reading a scale as a function of time?

The formula for reading a scale as a function of time is y = f(x), where y is the value of the variable being measured and x is the corresponding time value. This formula shows the relationship between the two variables and can be used to calculate the value of the variable at any given time.

4. Why is reading a scale as a function of time important?

Reading a scale as a function of time is important because it allows us to track changes in a variable over time. This can help us understand patterns, trends, and relationships between variables and can be useful in making predictions and decisions.

5. How can I use a scale as a function of time in my research or experiments?

A scale as a function of time can be used in many ways in research and experiments. It can help track changes in variables over time, compare different data sets, and identify trends and patterns. It can also be used to make predictions and validate hypotheses. Overall, a scale as a function of time is a useful tool in analyzing and interpreting data.