Is the sun a black hole for low frequency radiation?

In summary: It's buried (not very deeply) in what D H says, but just to make explicit: A photon emitted from a distance slightly greater than the event horizon will have a finite redshift. Basically, a photon's motion through spacetime is independent of its energy (read: wavelength).DH. I.m confused about the distances/locations. Is something is missing? Don't we need to know the distance from the observer to the center of mass of the source, as well as the distance from where the photon is emitted?The equation I gave is for the redshift of some light as observed by an observer well-removed from the gravity well. For an observer at some distance R from the
MikeGomez
Consider a photon of a certain frequency emitted from a distance slightly greater than the event horizon of a black hole. It seems possible that if a certain low frequency photon is not able to escape (due to becoming infinitely red-shifted), then a photon of a higher frequency emitted from the same location would able to escape (not become infinitely red-shifted).

If this is true, then is seems all mass has an event horizon for low frequency radiation. Even though that may be an extremely low frequency, it is non-zero.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
MikeGomez said:
Consider a photon of a certain frequency emitted from a distance slightly greater than the event horizon of a black hole. It seems possible that if a certain low frequency photon is not able to escape (due to becoming infinitely red-shifted), then a photon of a higher frequency emitted from the same location would able to escape (not become infinitely red-shifted).

If this is true, then is seems all mass has an event horizon for low frequency radiation. Even though that may be an extremely low frequency, it is non-zero.
Your mistake here is that you appear to think redshift is a subtractive operation. It isn't. It is a multiplicative operation:

[tex]\lambda_{\mbox{observed}} = \frac 1 {\sqrt{1 - \frac {r_s} r}}\,\lambda_{\mbox{source}}[/tex]

where
  • rs is the Schwarzschild radius of the radiating object,
  • r is the distance between the center of mass of the source and the source,
  • λsource is the wavelength at the surface of the radiating object, and
  • λobserved is the wavelength as measured by a remote observer.

Last edited:
MikeGomez said:

It's buried (not very deeply) in what D H says, but just to make explicit: A photon emitted from a distance slightly greater than the event horizon will have a finite redshift. Basically, a photon's motion through spacetime is independent of its energy (read: wavelength).

DH. I.m confused about the distances/locations. Is something is missing? Don't we need to know the distance from the observer to the center of mass of the source, as well as the distance from where the photon is emitted?

I'm assumming the 'center of mass of the source' refers to the BH or star or whatever, but we also need to consider the location of the photon emission.

Sorry. I typed that post rather badly. I corrected it. The equation I gave is for the redshift of some light as observed by an observer well-removed from the gravity well. For an observer at some distance R from the center of the massive object, the redshift is[tex]\lambda_{\mbox{observed}}
= \sqrt{\frac {1 - \frac {r_s} R} {1 - \frac {r_s} r}}
\,\lambda_{\mbox{source}}[/tex]

where
  • rs is the Schwarzschild radius of the radiating object,
  • r is the distance between the center of mass of the source and the source,
  • R is the distance between the center of mass of the source and the observer,
  • λsource is the wavelength at the surface of the radiating object, and
  • λobserved is the wavelength as measured by a remote observer.

In the limit R→∞, this reduces to the form given in post #2. Note however that r is the distance from the center of mass to the source rather than to the observer.

In any case, the bottom line is that redshift is proportional to wavelength.

Thanks DH and Nabeshin. My original thinking was that the gravitational effect on photons is due to the photon’s equivalent mass. Normal mass loses velocity when traveling in a direction opposite the gravity source, and will be able to escape the gravitations influence if it reaches escape velocity. Photons behave differently in that they maintain a constant speed of c, but the gravitational influence in seen in a change in frequency. This lead me to think that the frequency of a photon can be thought of as the equivalent of rotational velocity, and photons would have an escape frequency instead of an escape velocity.

What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. This is due to the extreme curvature of spacetime caused by a large amount of mass in a small area.

Is the sun a black hole?

No, the sun is not a black hole. It is a star that emits light and heat due to nuclear fusion reactions happening at its core. The sun does not have enough mass to cause the extreme curvature of spacetime that is characteristic of a black hole.

What is low frequency radiation?

Low frequency radiation refers to electromagnetic waves with longer wavelengths and lower frequencies, such as radio waves and microwaves. These types of radiation have lower energy levels compared to higher frequency radiation like X-rays and gamma rays.

Does the sun emit low frequency radiation?

Yes, the sun emits a wide range of electromagnetic radiation, including low frequency radiation such as radio waves and microwaves. However, the majority of the sun's radiation is in the form of visible light and heat.

Why is the sun not a black hole for low frequency radiation?

The sun's mass is not concentrated enough to cause the extreme gravitational pull that characterizes a black hole. Additionally, the sun's radiation is not confined to a small area but is instead spread out over a large volume, making it impossible for it to be a black hole for low frequency radiation.