What is the formula for calculating the maximum deflection of a bike axle?

In summary, the question asked is about finding the maximum deflection of an axle using a specific formula. The total length of the axle is 370mm, and the effective span is the clear distance between the wheel flanges. The formula is being used to calculate the deflection of a tricycle axle, which has two collars attached to the frame. The frame's inertia has been calculated, and the load is approximately 700N. The aluminum used has an elasticity of 70GPA. The only concern is about the length of the axle, but it has been confirmed that 370mm is sufficient.
Buchanskii
My Question...

To find the maximum deflection of this axle, can the formula:

(W*a/24*E*I)*(3*l^2-4*a^2)

Will the total length simply be 370mm(wheel to wheel), or will I have to include the total length of the axle?

Attachments

• Axle.jpg
    Axle.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 452
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome Buchanskii.

The effective span will be the clear distance between the wheel flanges. You do not include the length that is within the wheels themselves.

So yes 370 is good.

I am troubled by your formulae but can't help without more information about the cross section and so on. Do the collars noted as F indicated loads from the bicycle frame?
Is this bicycle in fact a tricycle?

Hi Studiot, thanks for your help - much appreciated. Sorry about the small Picture aswell, still learning :0

It is Indeed a tricycle; don't know why I put Bicycle. The two collars are attached to the frame in the form of bearing housings, which will support the load of the driver and the frame.

The Inertia of the frame I've worked out as 19000mm^4 using pi*D^4/64 (as it's a solid cylindrical shaft)

Load of approximately 700N

E aluminium 70GPA

a being distance between wheel and load.

Just was wondering about the length, a fellow student put doubt into my mind.

1. What is the deflection of a bike axle?

The deflection of a bike axle refers to the amount of bending or displacement that occurs when a force is applied to the axle. This can be measured in terms of distance or angle, and is influenced by factors such as the material and thickness of the axle, as well as the magnitude and direction of the force.

2. How does deflection affect the performance of a bike?

Excessive deflection in a bike axle can lead to decreased stability, control, and efficiency. It can also cause uneven wear on the bike's tires and other components. On the other hand, a properly designed and engineered axle with controlled deflection can improve the bike's handling and responsiveness.

3. What factors contribute to the deflection of a bike axle?

The main factors that affect the deflection of a bike axle include the material properties, cross-sectional shape and dimensions, and the applied load. Other factors such as the bike's weight, riding conditions, and maintenance can also play a role.

4. How can the deflection of a bike axle be measured?

The deflection of a bike axle can be measured using specialized equipment such as a deflection gauge or a strain gauge. These tools can accurately measure the amount of bending or displacement in the axle when a certain load is applied. In some cases, visual inspection or simple manual measurements can also provide an estimate of the deflection.

5. Can the deflection of a bike axle be prevented?

While some deflection is inevitable, it can be minimized or controlled through proper design and material selection. Choosing a strong and durable material, such as high-grade steel or carbon fiber, and ensuring the axle is designed with appropriate dimensions and reinforcements can help prevent excessive deflection. Regular maintenance and avoiding overloading the bike can also help prolong the life of the axle.