Thermal Modelling: Ansys for Temperature Distribution in Structures

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to find the thermal gradient in a structure subjected to multiple mediums at different temperatures. The person asks if Ansys is the right tool for the job and if the methodology would involve drafting the structure in a simulation software and applying thermal loads. Another person agrees that Ansys can do this but may not be easy and suggests looking into other CFD programs. The conversation also mentions the need to know the temperature distribution and thermal stresses. Some possible alternatives to Ansys are mentioned, such as COMSOL.
chetanladha
Hi everyone.
I want to find out thermal gradient (or temperature distribution) in a structure subjected to multiple mediums at different temperature.
Would Ansys be the right tool for it, or can you suggest one?
Would the methodology be to draft the structure in a simulation software first, and then putting thermal loads on it?
Thnaks a lot..

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, Ansys can do what you asking for, but ain't that easy. I think Ansys has already a modeling tool included (not sure though) but if does not you can usually input information by importing a cloud mesh. But as I said, is not so easy.

Can you suggest any other tool which might be helpful..
my aim is to know the temperature distribution, and then the thermal stresses..
Pls advice..

I assume most of CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) programs can do those calculations, I cannot suggest you something specifically because I'm not too familiar with CFD.

You can have a look in this list though, visit each website and may find what suits you most.

http://www.cfd-online.com/Links/soft.html

What is it you are testing?

Ansys is more than capable of doing this, with newer versions (WB12) it's relatively reasy too.

Maybe COMSOL is up your alley?

1. How does Ansys perform thermal modelling?

Ansys uses finite element analysis (FEA) to perform thermal modelling. This involves breaking down a complex structure into smaller, simpler elements and solving for the temperature distribution within these elements using mathematical equations.

2. What are the benefits of using Ansys for thermal modelling?

Ansys offers a highly accurate and efficient way of predicting temperature distribution in structures. It also allows for complex geometries and boundary conditions to be easily incorporated into the model, providing a more realistic simulation.

3. How does Ansys handle thermal boundary conditions?

Ansys allows users to define various thermal boundary conditions, such as temperature, heat flux, and convection, at different surfaces of the model. These boundary conditions are then used to solve for the temperature distribution within the structure.

4. Can Ansys be used for both steady-state and transient thermal analysis?

Yes, Ansys offers both steady-state and transient thermal analysis capabilities. Steady-state analysis is used to determine the temperature distribution in a structure under constant thermal conditions, while transient analysis is used to study the temperature changes over time.

5. How can Ansys results be validated?

Ansys results can be validated by comparing them to experimental data or analytical solutions. It is important to ensure that the model is properly set up and all relevant parameters are accurately defined to achieve reliable results.