Linear Algebra and Real Analysis Review

In summary, Stephen R. Lay's "Analyis: with an introduction to proof" is an excellent book for teaching linear algebra, but you don't need much of it in the topics that are about to come. Friedberg, Spence, and Insel's "Linear Algebra" is a good book to have, but you don't need it for the topics that are about to come. Hoffman & Kunze's "Linear Algebra" is a more rigorous book, but you don't need it for the topics that are about to come. Rudins "Principles of mathematical analysis" is a good book for a first course in real analysis, but I don't like it for a first course. Yeh's "
Kindayr
I'm going into my 3rd year as a pure math major at UWO. I have completed both second year Real Analysis and Linear Algebra with decent marks. However, I really feel that I didn't take too much from both other than the general concepts, especially second semester of Linear Algebra (due to laziness mostly).

We used:

Stephen R Lay's "Analyis: with an introduction to proof"

Friedberg, Spence, and Insel "Linear Algebra"

I was wondering which textbooks I could pick up from the library or amazon that would do a better effort, whether it be more rigour or just more information, at teaching me the more specific concepts.

I'll be taking a full course load of math this coming year, including analysis, topology, and algebra oriented courses. So just hoping to expand my grasp on the prerequisite topics.

I'm already interested in picking up Spivak's "Calculus" and Artin's "Algebra". Are these the best, or are there better options I could look into?

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, you won't need THAT much linear algebra in the topics that are about to come, even not in abstract algebra. Real analysis is more serious though.

First, linear algebra. Friedberg is an excellent book, in my opinion. If you know Friedberg, then you basically know enough linear algebra to continue. A more rigorous book is of course Hoffman & Kunze, which is my favorite book on linear algebra. It does the results in complete generality. For the fine details, this book is excellent!

For real analysis, you might want to pick up Rudins "Principles of mathematical analysis". I don't like this book for a first course. But if you want more details and a decent review of the topic, then this book is excellent.
You also might want to pick up Yeh's real analysis book. It's also quite nice.

Artin's "abstract algebra" is a very good book, certainly take it!

I don't know why you want Spivak's calculus. It'll only teach you calculus, and you (most likely) know this topic already. It's great for reviewing calculus, but it won't teach you real analysis...

Thanks for the advice!

I've heard Hoffman & Kunze is a good book as well! I'm glad you mentioned this because it is precisely the textbook that a prof of mine recommended to me last summer to buy and use concurrently in his Linear Algebra course. I had forgotten the authors until now, heh. (The person running the Linear Algebra curriculum prefers Friedberg, that's why it was the course material as opposed to Hoffman & Kunze, to which the professor teaching me preferred.)

Another professor mentioned Spivak during a summer lecture series that introduced us casually to Galois theory. Not that Spivak had anything with the course material, was just brought up in conversation. I have also heard of it all over these forums. That's basically my reasoning to pick it up and check it out. I really don't like Stewart's "Calculus" which is what my school uses, as I feel it lacks a lot of rigour.

I will definitely look into the other texts you have mentioned! A few are in the campus library, so when I go to pay my tuition cheque I'll certainly pick some of them up.

Thank you!

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, vector spaces, and linear transformations. It studies the properties and operations of matrices and vectors, and how they can be used to solve systems of linear equations and represent geometric transformations.

2. What is Real Analysis?

Real Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers and their properties. It focuses on the rigorous development and understanding of concepts such as limits, continuity, differentiability, and integration.

3. Why is it important to review Linear Algebra and Real Analysis?

Linear Algebra and Real Analysis are fundamental topics in mathematics and are essential for many fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. A strong foundation in these subjects is crucial for advanced studies in mathematics and its applications.

4. What are some key topics covered in a Linear Algebra and Real Analysis review?

A review of Linear Algebra may cover topics such as matrix operations, vector spaces, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and applications of matrices. A review of Real Analysis may cover topics such as limits, continuity, differentiation, integration, and convergence of sequences and series.

5. How can I effectively review Linear Algebra and Real Analysis?

To effectively review Linear Algebra and Real Analysis, it is recommended to start with a basic understanding of the fundamental concepts and then practice solving a variety of problems. Utilizing resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice exercises can also be helpful in reinforcing understanding and identifying areas that need more focus.