Determining flowrate (GPM) through a partially open gate valve

In summary: From Crane Technical Paper 410, 25th Printing, Appendix A, we will estimate Cv for the full open gate valve. The form loss factor is:K_{1} = 8 f_{T}And now,C_{v} = 29.9 d^{2} / \sqrt{K_{1}}Where d is the pipe ID in inches.
Sixdirty6
Hello all, trying to figure this out. I work at a shipyard and operate/maintain the drydock. The discharge tunnel that flows water out into the ocean has culverts about 24.5' x 15.5' x 8'. Connected to the bottom of the culvert is a 48" pipe that goes to a gate valve of the same diameter. If I were to drain a culvert full of sea water into a lower chamber, what would be the flow rate (in GPM) if the valve were @ 100% open and @ 10% open?

Thanks for looking!

Physics news on Phys.org
You may apply the following formula (Ref: Crane Technical Paper 410, 25th Printing, Equation 2-7):

Q = 7.9 [itex]C_{v}[/itex] [itex]\sqrt{\Delta P / \rho}[/itex]

where,

Q = flow rate in gpm
Cv = flow coefficient in gpm/psi
ΔP = pressure difference in psi = [itex]\rho[/itex] g h for non-pumped elevation difference
[itex]\rho[/itex] = fluid density in lb/ft^3 = 62.2 lb/ft^3 for ambient water
h = elevation difference between flowing sections

Note there are about 0.433 psi per foot of water column.

The Cv may be provided by the valve manufacturer. If you can find, let me know. I can help you estimate.

Last edited:
edgepflow said:
You may apply the following formula (Ref: Crane Technical Paper 410, 25th Printing, Equation 2-7):

Q = 7.9 [itex]C_{v}[/itex] [itex]\sqrt{\Delta P / \rho}[/itex]

where,

Q = flow rate in gpm
Cv = flow coefficient in gpm/psi
ΔP = pressure difference in psi = [itex]\rho[/itex] g h for non-pumped elevation difference
[itex]\rho[/itex] = fluid density in lb/ft^3 = 62.2 lb/ft^3 for ambient water
h = elevation difference between flowing sections

Note there are about 0.433 psi per foot of water column.

The Cv may be provided by the valve manufacturer. If you can find, let me know. I can help you estimate.

Thanks for replying! I can't seem to find the Cv for this particular valve (Crane 54" cast iron gate valve). Is there a formula to calculate Cv from the specifications of the valve?

Sixdirty6 said:
Thanks for replying! I can't seem to find the Cv for this particular valve (Crane 54" cast iron gate valve). Is there a formula to calculate Cv from the specifications of the valve?
We can estimate from Crane Technical Paper 410. I have this at work. Will get back to you!

From Crane Technical Paper 410, 25th Printing, Appendix A, we will estimate Cv for the full open gate valve. The form loss factor is:

[itex]K_{1}[/itex] = 8 [itex]f_{T}[/itex]

where,

[itex]f_{T}[/itex] = Darcy friction factor = 0.012 for 48" pipe in turbulent flow

And now,

[itex]C_{v}[/itex] = 29.9 [itex]d^{2}[/itex] / [itex]\sqrt{K_{1}}[/itex]

Where d is the pipe ID in inches.

Try this, and see what you get. Then we can include the entrance and exit effects, straight pipe (if any) and the 10% open gate valve.

What is flowrate?

Flowrate refers to the amount of fluid that passes through a specific point in a given amount of time. It is usually measured in gallons per minute (GPM) for liquid flow.

How is flowrate through a partially open gate valve determined?

Flowrate through a partially open gate valve can be determined by using a flow meter, measuring the pressure drop across the valve, and using the valve's flow coefficient. This coefficient is a measure of the valve's ability to restrict flow and can be found in the manufacturer's specifications.

What factors can affect the flowrate through a partially open gate valve?

The flowrate through a partially open gate valve can be affected by several factors, including the size of the valve, the pressure difference across the valve, the viscosity of the fluid, and the level of valve opening.

Can the flowrate through a partially open gate valve be controlled?

Yes, the flowrate through a partially open gate valve can be controlled by adjusting the valve's opening level. The higher the opening level, the greater the flowrate, and vice versa.

Is it important to accurately determine the flowrate through a partially open gate valve?

Yes, it is important to accurately determine the flowrate through a partially open gate valve to ensure that the desired amount of fluid is flowing through the system. This can help prevent issues such as under or overloading of equipment, and can also impact the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of the system.