My personal criticism to Quantum theory and Human conscience

In summary: In fact, the mathematical description of a macroscopic system in which it is in a mixed state is called a "quasi-local average."
alecrimi
my personal criticism to "Quantum theory and Human conscience"

I have to do a couple of premises:
1. There are some previous posts on this arguments, among them I
found interesting this one:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=334994
2.This topic requires a deep knowledge in several fields, and I do not have deep knowleged in all these fields. So, feel free to correct me where I am wrong. Now let's go:

I have been again through http://www.quantumpsi.com/MR1139.appb.pdf,
and Quantum optical coherence in cytoskeletal microtubules, Jibu et al.
Some of the articles containig some material described in The emperor's new mind (I have never read deeply this book, so I limit myself about the articles).

I found interesting the discussion about quantum information and microtubes of neurons. Since it can highlight some limitations of state of art model such as the Hodgkin–Huxley model.

Instead I found relatively a twist (or maybe just a speculation), the Orchestrated Objective Reduction (or Quantum state reduction) about consciousness.
In neuroscience, the Mind is considered and emerging behaviour of the neural nets, even if there is no agreement where this emergence starts.
However, I found twisty arguing about precosciouss thoughts, existing as superimposition, which collaps to consciousness as a Wave function collapse. I think that consciousness is a much more complicate story;
and even if this collapse can be considered, we should have some better intuition of the reasons (e.g. some proof of neural activity somewhere, an increase of myelination... I am not proposing, just saying something).
I think it is too strong (and too easy) extend the superimposition concept to thought.

Moreover, the argumentation of anestesia as a lack of quantum interaction... I think they should have argumented a bit more this claim.
I have the impression that they describe seriously the quantum microtubes behavior (though it is largerly a theretical biology discussion), and then they generalize very easily to large scale concept such as conscience and anestesia. Do you agree with me ? Or did I miss some steps clarifying these jumps ?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you. It looks interesting, I will try to digest it

alecrimi said:
Thank you. It looks interesting, I will try to digest it

Essentially he says that the human brain is too hot to harbor quantum coherence.

Isn't decoherence still superposition?

My email to Brian Greene:
I know decoherence suppresses interference with a quantum system (either microscopic or macroscopic) interacts with its environment, but in many books I’ve read, even though we get an equation that ‘averages out’ the possibilities of the wave function so we end up with what looks like a mixed state (e.g. for the statistical interpretation: 50% being in state A; 50% being in state B, for a group of quantum systems), the quantum system (or in the case of a group of quantum systems) is still in no definite state and still a pure (superposition) state. Is this true?

His response:
Yes, you are correct.

1. What is your personal criticism to Quantum theory and Human conscience?

My personal criticism to Quantum theory and Human conscience is that while Quantum theory explains the behavior of subatomic particles, it does not fully address the complex nature of human consciousness.

2. Can you elaborate on how Quantum theory falls short in explaining human conscience?

In Quantum theory, particles exist in multiple states simultaneously until they are observed, which is known as the superposition principle. However, this principle does not align with our understanding of the singular and continuous nature of human consciousness.

3. Do you believe that Quantum theory and human conscience are completely unrelated?

No, I do not believe they are completely unrelated. Quantum theory and human conscience both involve the concept of observation and how it affects the physical world. However, I believe that Quantum theory alone is not enough to fully explain the complexities of human consciousness.

4. Are there any alternative theories that can better explain human conscience?

There are several alternative theories, such as quantum mind theory, that attempt to bridge the gap between Quantum theory and human consciousness. However, these theories are still highly debated and lack scientific evidence.

5. How does your criticism of Quantum theory impact its validity as a scientific theory?

My personal criticism of Quantum theory does not invalidate its validity as a scientific theory. Quantum theory has been extensively tested and proven to accurately predict the behavior of subatomic particles. However, it is important to continue questioning and exploring its limitations in order to further our understanding of the universe.