Show that Characteristic polynomial = minimal polynomial

In summary, the conversation discusses the characteristic polynomial and minimal polynomial of a matrix A and methods for finding vectors with specific minimal polynomials. The concept of a vector having a degree is questioned and clarified. The hint for showing that the minimal polynomial is also the characteristic polynomial is discussed.
PirateFan308

Homework Statement

Let A = [itex]\begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 & 0 & 0\\-1 & -1 & 0 & 0\\-2 & -2 & 2 & 1\\ 1 & 1 & -1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

The characteristic polynomial is [itex]f(x)=x^2(x-1)^2[/itex]. Show that f(x) is also the minimal polynomial of A.

Method 1: Find v having degree 4.
Method 2: Find a vector v of degree 2, whose minimal polynomial (on A of v) is [itex]x^2[/itex], and another, w, whose minimal polynomial is [itex](w-1)^2[/itex]. Or, just show that v and w exist.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused as to how a vector can have a degree of more than 1. Isn't a vector simply:
[itex]v= \begin{pmatrix}a\\b\\c\\...\\n\end{pmatrix}[/itex] in [itex]R^n[/itex]? I think I can get the question once I understand this. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think what they mean by a vector v having degree 4 is that A^4(v)=0 but A^3(v) is not equal to zero.

Oh, ok. Thanks!

PirateFan308 said:
Oh, ok. Thanks!

You're welcome but rereading that I'm not sure what the hint really means. Since f is the characteristic polynomial you know f(A)=A^2(A-1)^2=0. To show it's minimal you need to show A(A-1)^2 and A^2(A-1) are not zero. The 'degree of a vector' seems pretty unclear to me as well.

What is a characteristic polynomial and a minimal polynomial?

A characteristic polynomial is a polynomial equation that is used to find the eigenvalues of a square matrix. It is formed by taking the determinant of the matrix and subtracting the identity matrix multiplied by a variable. A minimal polynomial is the smallest degree polynomial that satisfies the characteristic equation and is used to find the minimal polynomial of a square matrix.

Why is it important to show that the characteristic polynomial is equal to the minimal polynomial?

It is important to show that the characteristic polynomial is equal to the minimal polynomial because it provides a complete understanding of the properties of the matrix. It helps in determining the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix, which are important in various applications in science and engineering.

How can you prove that the characteristic polynomial equals the minimal polynomial?

The characteristic polynomial equals the minimal polynomial if and only if the matrix satisfies its own characteristic equation. This can be proven by showing that the characteristic polynomial is a factor of the minimal polynomial and vice versa. Additionally, the Cayley-Hamilton theorem can also be used to prove this equality.

What is the significance of the Cayley-Hamilton theorem in proving the equality of characteristic polynomial and minimal polynomial?

The Cayley-Hamilton theorem states that every square matrix satisfies its own characteristic equation. This theorem is crucial in proving the equality of characteristic polynomial and minimal polynomial because it allows us to replace the matrix in the characteristic equation with its own polynomial expression, thus showing that the characteristic polynomial is a factor of the minimal polynomial.

Can the characteristic polynomial and minimal polynomial be different for a matrix?

Yes, it is possible for the characteristic polynomial and minimal polynomial to be different for a matrix. This can happen if the matrix has repeated eigenvalues, which means that the minimal polynomial will have a higher degree than the characteristic polynomial. However, the two polynomials will always have the same roots or eigenvalues.