Discover Fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books

In summary: I have a lot of favorites...In summary, the participants discussed their favorite sci-fi books, including Star Wars, the NJO series, Diaspora by Greg Egan, and Dune by Frank Herbert. They also touched on the role of science in literature, including its ability to satisfy intellectual and spiritual needs. The conversation also delved into the idea of finding God or the divine through scientific theories like the Big Bang. Overall, the participants had a wide range of favorites and opinions on the intersection of science and literature.

Favourite Science Fiction

• Ender's Game (And all accompanying series)- OSC

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Foundation/The Gods Themselves/Nightfall- Asimov

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (and the rest of the years) - Arthur C. Clarke

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Pastwatch-OSC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Contact-Carl Sagan

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • The Light of Other Days- Arthur Clarke and Baxter

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy-Douglas Adams

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Classic Sci-Fi (The Time Machine, etc.)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Sci-Fi Mags

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Beren
What are some of your favourite Sci-Fi books? (Throw in Fantasy, if you wish, but try and keep it to Sci-Fi. ;) )

Physics news on Phys.org
star wars!

how could you not put in star wars?

anyways. the NJO (new jedi order) series are ok. i wouldn't say they are the height of star wars novels, but it is hard for me to give a fair opinion because I'm a star wars nut.

Originally posted by liljediboi
star wars!

how could you not put in star wars?

anyways. the NJO (new jedi order) series are ok. i wouldn't say they are the height of star wars novels, but it is hard for me to give a fair opinion because I'm a star wars nut.

Ah.

And I did forget all televised media. :/

Obviously, if your preference is Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. say so.

Stanislaw Lem.

Lem is a rude individual who mindlessly attacks anything he doesn't understand. But that's just the opinion of the science fiction community.

Any..way..

Originally posted by Beren
Lem is a rude individual who mindlessly attacks anything he doesn't understand. But that's just the opinion of the science fiction community.

Even if this were true, what relevance does it have to his own science fiction?

Nothing at all, that was just more or less an explanation of why I hadn't put him up there.

As a writer, though, he's not bad, I'll admit. I just can't, in any way, stand him.

OK, but consider this. Heidegger was a f***ing Nazi, but his philosophical work was brilliant. Lewis Carroll (probably) had a sexual attraction for little girls, but his fiction was marvellous. Lovecraft was a racist son of a b*tch, but his writings were amazingly imaginative. I think you should separate Lem the man from Lem the writer.

Originally posted by cragwolf
OK, but consider this. Heidegger was a f***ing Nazi, but his philosophical work was brilliant. Lewis Carroll (probably) had a sexual attraction for little girls, but his fiction was marvellous. Lovecraft was a racist son of a b*tch, but his writings were amazingly imaginative. I think you should separate Lem the man from Lem the writer.

XD Well, I do, to a point. He was kicked out of the Sci-Fi establishment..so..I can't professionally acknowledge any great love of him. But your point is well taken.

Diaspora

Originally posted by cragwolf
Lewis Carroll (probably) had a sexual attraction for little girls, but his fiction was marvellous.

there is something slightly jarring about this
maybe it would be better to say he (probably) indulged his attraction to little girls---that is, let it get away with him
I esteem little girls highly myself and would be loathe to despise a man simply because they aroused his libido. What matters
is behavior---which in Carrolls case was admittedly a mite kinky.

why arent there more cragwolf posts in the main science parts of the board, its actually sleepy in some parts of astronomy and you could stir up some discussion

It's sleepy in quite a lot of places. I've been trying to bring more people down into Book Reviews, and it seems to be slightly suceeding.

On another note, what about Diaspora? Isn't that a term used for Jews outside of Isreal? (not terribly familiar with it)

Diaspora, by Greg Egan. One reviewer wrote: " Been awhile since you've read any hard science fiction? I mean, really hard sci-fi? Well, if your brain is ready for a workout, you must give Diaspora a try. "

An extract from another review: "There is plenty of "hard" science fiction around, but Diaspora makes most of it feel like talc. An explanation of the Gauss-Bonnet theorem and an introduction to gravitational astronomy are just warmups -- not only does Egan speculate about 6-dimensional physics and visualisation in 5-space, but he makes a serious attempt to explain the mathematical concepts of "manifold", "embedding", and "fibre bundle"! Some of the physics is invented, but the basic ideas closely reflect real modern theoretical physics."

Greg's home page:
http://gregegan.customer.netspace.net.au/

Science is a comedy (Hitchhikers Guide) even if it destroys all life on the planet (Cats Cradle--Vonnegut) and although the world views of twentienth century science are bizarre (Italo Calvino/Jorge Borges) people still look to science to satisfy their intellectual and spiritual needs: In Marquez Hundred Years of Solitude there is a man who tries to take photographs of God.
He sets up a camera in various rooms of his house, arranged to snap a picture at random times, because he believes what he is told, namely God is everywhere, but that human eyes cannot behold the Deity, but a camera because it is Scientific should be able to. this guy is a great character---he has experiences with a magnet and a magnifying glass too. Gypsies are always passing through town and selling him the latest Scientific Development.

People who look for God at the Big Bang are like that guy. they think that cosmology is a scientific device which will take a picture of God for them while they are in some other room of the house and not paying attention. Big Bang theory or quantum theory will somehow give them evidence of the divine or the soul.

When I read science fiction I expect it to tell me something about science as a human bemusement and obsession (not about possible future technologies and colonization romance----I am already impatient enough for life to be spread to other stars that I don't need dramatizations) so although Italo Calvino's "Cosmicomics" is not bad I vote for "Hundred Years of Solitude"

Gypsies are always passing through town and selling him the latest Scientific Development.

People who look for God at the Big Bang are like that guy.

So long as they are paying with good money...

I have to say one of my favorite science fiction book of all times has to be Dune by Frank Herbert...well, Star Trek ranks up there too... so does the Xanth series by Piers Anthony and Myth series by Robert Asprin... Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy by Douglas Adams... so many to name...I don't know anymore...

Well, I feel rather stupid, forgetting to put Dune up there! I've read the first book, but unfortunatly never got around the rest in the series. I really should.

And anything by Piers Anthony is generally excellent. :)

Originally posted by marcus
... would be loathe to despise a man simply because they aroused his libido. What matters is behavior...

Well exactly. I don't think sexual preference(s) can be chosen: it just happens. But sexual behaviour can be controlled. And if the preference (fantasy, perversion, call it what you will) involves little girls, then there is a moral obligation not to turn it into a behaviour! I think Lewis Carroll managed to stay moral in this respect. And possibly this repression was a source of energy that he directed towards his wonderful fiction. Oops! I'm rambling OT. Sorry.

why arent there more cragwolf posts in the main science parts of the board, its actually sleepy in some parts of astronomy and you could stir up some discussion

Sorry, sorry, crisis of confidence, inner demons, that sort of thing. I may be back soon.

Just to return to the subject of this thread ... some more science fiction authors whose books I have enjoyed (don't actually read sci fi anymore):

Jules Verne
H G Wells
J G Ballard
Phillip K Dick
Olaf Stapledon
Michael Moorcock
Gene Wolfe
Anthony Burgess
Samuel Delaney
Boris/Arkady Strugatsky

To answer the original thread:

1. Eon by Greg Bear
2. Cuckoo's Egg C.J. Cherry
3. Many books in the series regarding the Dragon Riders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey
4. Rendevous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke

5. The classic Dune series from Dune to Chapterhouse: Dune by Frank Herbert

6. Songs of Distant Earth by Arthur C. Clarke

My favorite SF novel is The Mote in God's Eye, by Niven and Pournelle. The best treatment of first contact with an alien civilization that I've read. Heinlein called it, "Possibly
the finest science fiction novel I have read."

Ender's Game is a close second, though ... and I'm pretty fond of the Foundation Trilogy.

Holy Transistors of the Great Hyperlobic Omnicognateneutronwrangler. Douglas Adams gave a whole new look to science fiction. He made a great blend of pretty much everything on Earth (and betelgeuse) and created MY favorite set of books. Pity he's not around anymore. And that aside, I am quite surprised not to see a single vote for the odyssey series. Not that I've read much of science fiction, but from what little I've read, I should say that the odyssey series was one of the best of the genre. And again, just out of curiosity, why does this list NOT contain short stories? Okay, I conclude my first post without having said much and rambling quite a bit. Just happenned to come upon this website and haven't been quite excited about finding something by chance as I have been bout this. I must say that the forums here are really good. So that's about it for Zaphod's first post.

I'm a heavy consumer of s.f. - and fantasy too. Rather than favorite books I think of authors I can depend on for a good read, like Turtledove, Saberhagen, Cherryh, both Vinges, and in the old days De Camp, Anderson, Heinlein, etc.

Originally posted by redrogue
To answer the original thread:

1. Eon by Greg Bear
2. Cuckoo's Egg C.J. Cherry
3. Many books in the series regarding the Dragon Riders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey
4. Rendevous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke

5. The classic Dune series from Dune to Chapterhouse: Dune by Frank Herbert

6. Songs of Distant Earth by Arthur C. Clarke

Eon was great, but did you happen to read Darwin's Radio and Darwin's Children, by the same author?

Originally posted by Mentat
Eon was great, but did you happen to read Darwin's Radio and Darwin's Children, by the same author?

Unfortunately, I have not, but the reviews for both have been stunning. My list of choices are a bit dated. I haven't read anything recent lately (except my textbooks).

...Well scratch that. I'm currently reading Contact whenever I get a chance (like standing in line at the DMV, or between classes, or on the bus, etc.)

I'll get back into reading science fiction (instead of science) during Winter Break after finals.

Cheers.

Present readings: Stephen Baxter's Reid Malenfant Series, Iain M. Banks.
Past readings: Heinlein, Dick, Niven, Asimov, Bova.

Favourite SF books: Ringworld, Colony, Farnham's Freehold, Against A Dark Background, The Time Ships.

I want to put in a plug here for Ken Mcleod's books, like Cassini Division, Star Fraction and Cosmonaut Keep. Wonderful characters and a fresh slant.

I also like The Last Legends of Earth, by AA Attanasio. Its kinda idiosynchratic, so I don't know if I can really recommend it, though.

...Well scratch that. I'm currently reading Contact whenever I get a chance

That is a great Science Fiction book. I think Sagan should be a Grand Master just for that.

Originally posted by marcus
Science is a comedy (Hitchhikers Guide) even if it destroys all life on the planet (Cats Cradle--Vonnegut) and although the world views of twentienth century science are bizarre (Italo Calvino/Jorge Borges) people still look to science to satisfy their intellectual and spiritual needs: In Marquez Hundred Years of Solitude there is a man who tries to take photographs of God.
He sets up a camera in various rooms of his house, arranged to snap a picture at random times, because he believes what he is told, namely God is everywhere, but that human eyes cannot behold the Deity, but a camera because it is Scientific should be able to. this guy is a great character---he has experiences with a magnet and a magnifying glass too. Gypsies are always passing through town and selling him the latest Scientific Development.

People who look for God at the Big Bang are like that guy. they think that cosmology is a scientific device which will take a picture of God for them while they are in some other room of the house and not paying attention. Big Bang theory or quantum theory will somehow give them evidence of the divine or the soul.

When I read science fiction I expect it to tell me something about science as a human bemusement and obsession (not about possible future technologies and colonization romance----I am already impatient enough for life to be spread to other stars that I don't need dramatizations) so although Italo Calvino's "Cosmicomics" is not bad I vote for "Hundred Years of Solitude"

Exellent! your Each and every words very much true for my part also!

I've voted for Asimov... I am a great fan of his writings

Recently I've finished his outstanding works : Foundation.

All five books: From "Foundation" to "Foundation and Earth"
Are awsome...

But I think I must mention, I am also a great fan of the Classics:

Time Machine
Jules Verne's Stories
Adger Allen Poe
Frankenstein

But I can't vote more than once :(

Originally posted by Moni
All five books: From "Foundation" to "Foundation and Earth" Are awsome...

Are you aware there are seven books in the Foundation series? (Including the two prequels, "Prelude to Foundation" and "Forward the Foundation".)

There's also an entertaining non-Asimov book "Psychohistorical Crisis" by Donald Kingsbury. It takes place in the restored Galactic Empire, and we find that the second foundation is just as prone to the flaws of hierarchy as the first empire was. Lots of galactic adventure.

Originally posted by Ambitwistor
Are you aware there are seven books in the Foundation series? (Including the two prequels, "Prelude to Foundation" and "Forward the Foundation".)

Oh! Yeah! But those were written after the decision Galaxy will be transformed into "Gaya"! And that's why I didn't feel interest about them :(

Are they are as good as those trilogy?

Though I've read 5 but I still like first 3.

2nd Foudnation was exellent :)

And the Mule ;)

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
There's also an entertaining non-Asimov book "Psychohistorical Crisis" by Donald Kingsbury. It takes place in the restored Galactic Empire, and we find that the second foundation is just as prone to the flaws of hierarchy as the first empire was. Lots of galactic adventure.

Thanks! I am the no.1 fan of Sci-Fis...
But here in Bangladesh they aren't easily available :(

But I have read the classics ... translations!
Still I like Jules Verne's all Sci-Fi. H.G.Wells, Ray Bradbury!

<H2>What types of books are included in "Discover Fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books"?</H2><p> "Discover Fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books" includes a wide range of both science fiction and fantasy books, including classic and modern titles, as well as a variety of sub-genres within these genres. This ensures that there is something for every reader's taste.</p><H2>How are the books selected for "Discover Fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books"?</H2><p> The books included in "Discover Fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books" are handpicked by a team of experts who have a deep knowledge and passion for science fiction and fantasy literature. They carefully curate a diverse selection of books that are sure to captivate and entertain readers.</p><H2>Can I suggest a book to be included in "Discover Fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books"?</H2><p>Absolutely! We are always open to suggestions for new books to include in our selection. You can submit your suggestions through our website or social media channels. Our team will review all suggestions and consider them for future additions to our collection.</p><H2>Are the books in "Discover Fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books" available in different formats?</H2><p>Yes, all the books in "Discover Fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books" are available in various formats, including paperback, e-book, and audiobook. This allows readers to choose their preferred format for reading and ensures accessibility for all.</p><H2>Are there any age restrictions for the books in "Discover Fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books"?</H2><p>While most of the books in "Discover Fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books" are suitable for readers of all ages, there may be some titles that contain mature content and are recommended for adult readers only. We provide age recommendations for each book to help readers make an informed decision before reading.</p>

What types of books are included in "Discover Fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books"?

"Discover Fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books" includes a wide range of both science fiction and fantasy books, including classic and modern titles, as well as a variety of sub-genres within these genres. This ensures that there is something for every reader's taste.

How are the books selected for "Discover Fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books"?

The books included in "Discover Fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books" are handpicked by a team of experts who have a deep knowledge and passion for science fiction and fantasy literature. They carefully curate a diverse selection of books that are sure to captivate and entertain readers.

Can I suggest a book to be included in "Discover Fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books"?

Absolutely! We are always open to suggestions for new books to include in our selection. You can submit your suggestions through our website or social media channels. Our team will review all suggestions and consider them for future additions to our collection.

Are the books in "Discover Fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books" available in different formats?

Yes, all the books in "Discover Fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books" are available in various formats, including paperback, e-book, and audiobook. This allows readers to choose their preferred format for reading and ensures accessibility for all.

Are there any age restrictions for the books in "Discover Fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books"?

While most of the books in "Discover Fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books" are suitable for readers of all ages, there may be some titles that contain mature content and are recommended for adult readers only. We provide age recommendations for each book to help readers make an informed decision before reading.