Is our complementary solution guaranteed to be linearly independent?

In summary, when dealing with non-homogeneous linear equations, the solutions do not form a vector space, but rather a linear manifold. However, for homogeneous linear equations, the solutions do form a vector space and can be thought of as a basis in a vector space. Additionally, the number of solutions in the basis is equal to the order of the ODE. When finding a particular solution for a non-homogeneous equation, it is not necessary for the solution to be a linear combination of the basis functions, but rather a combination of the basis functions and a particular solution.
dumbQuestion
I had kind of a general question. Say I have a second order, homogeneous ODE. Say I use one of the general techniques to generate a complementary solution for my ODE and I end up with something of the form y = C1(solution1) + C2(solution2)

Am I gauranteed that these two solutions will be linearly independent or do I need to verify with the Wronskian each time?

Also, can I think of linearly independent solutions as a "basis" like I do in linear algebra? It seems like it because its my understanding that any solution for the ODE is simply a linear combination of solutions in this "basis"

Also, can we tell the dimensions of this basis based on the order of the ODE? Like, a second order ODE has two solutions in its basis, a third order has 3, a first order has one, etc.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can think of the solutions as a basis in a vector space. In this case, they're basis functions in a space of functions, but most of the ideas from vector algebra still apply.

I think often the techniques chosen to generate solutions are meant to come up with solutions out of orthogonal functions--sines and cosines, for instance, are automatically linlearly independent as long as none of their frequencies are the same. Someone may know more on this matter, though.

A complementary solution can't be "dependent" on the solution to the homogeneous equation. Suppose the equation is L(f)= g(x) where L is the linear differential operator, u(x) a linear combination of the independent solutions to the homogenelus equation, and v(x) a complementary solution. To be dependent means that there exist numbers, a and b, non-zero, such that au(x)+ bv(x)= 0. Applying L to both sides of that, L(au(x)+ bv(x))= aL(u)+ bL(v)= a(0)+ b(g)= 0 so that bg(x)= 0 for all x. Since g is not always 0, b= 0. That makes our original equation au(x)= 0 for all x and so a= 0.

The solutions to any linear homogeneus nth order differential equation form a vector space of dimension n. The solutions to a non-homogeneous linear equation do NOT form a vector space but do form a "linear manifold". If you think of a one-dimensional vector space as a line through the origin of a xy-coordinate system, or a two dimensional vector space as a plane through the origin of a xyz-coordinate system, then you can think of a one dimensional "linear manifold" as a line NOT through the origin or a two dimensional "linear manifold" NOT through the origin.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
If you think of a one-dimensional vector space as a line through the origin of a xy-coordinate system, or a two dimensional vector space as a plane through the origin of a xyz-coordinate system, then you can think of a one dimensional "linear manifold" as a line NOT through the origin or a two dimensional "linear manifold" NOT through the origin.
Thank you, this really does help me visualize this.So I want to make sure I understand. So for example, when dealing with non homogeneous equations, does it mean we can't establish a "basis" or fundamental set of solutions so that every particular solution can be expressed as a linear combination of those solutions?THe thing that prompted me to ask was this particular problem:y'' - 5y' + 4y = 8ex

I can generate a basis for the vector space of solutions for the associated homogeneous equation and its B = {e4x,ex} (I got this by solving the auxilary equation and attaining distinct real roots x=4 and x=1)

Using variation of parameters, I can then generate a particular solution for this sytem:

yp=(-8/9)ex-(8/3)xexTo make sure it is indeed a particular solution I took y'p and y''p and plugged it into the original ODE and it does check out. However, yp is not a linear combination of the functions in B.

oh wait I think I get it, the "basis" as I'm thinking of it for a nohomogeneous linear 2nd order ODE would be B={b1,b2,yp}where b1 and b2 are the functions in the basis for the associated homogeneous ODE and yp is a particular solution satisfying the non homogeneous ODE.EDIT: Oh waaaait... No what I just wrote is wrong. Any solution Y(x) of the non homogeneous system can be expressed as:

Y=C1b1+C2b2+ypSo I can see why {b1,b2,yp} is NOT a "basis" because we can't just have any linear combination of these to generate solutions, the solutions are linear combinations of b1 and b2 with yp simply added on (not any multiple of yp)! So this is why it's not a vector space but a linear manifold as you described it

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for a complementary solution to be linearly independent?

A complementary solution being linearly independent means that the solution is not a linear combination of other solutions. In other words, it is a unique and individual solution that cannot be expressed as a combination of other solutions.

2. How do we know if a complementary solution is linearly independent?

To determine if a complementary solution is linearly independent, we can use the linear independence test. This involves setting up a system of equations and checking if the only solution is the trivial solution (all variables equal to zero). If this is the case, then the complementary solution is linearly independent.

3. Why is it important for a complementary solution to be linearly independent?

A complementary solution being linearly independent is important because it ensures that the solution is unique and not dependent on other solutions. This allows us to accurately and confidently use the solution to solve problems and make predictions.

4. Can a complementary solution ever be linearly dependent?

No, a complementary solution cannot be linearly dependent. This is because the definition of a complementary solution is that it is not a linear combination of other solutions, which is the definition of linear dependence.

5. How does linear independence relate to linear systems of equations?

In linear systems of equations, linear independence is important because it allows us to determine if a system has a unique solution. If the solutions are linearly independent, then the system will have a unique solution. If the solutions are linearly dependent, then the system will have infinitely many solutions.