Preparing for the GRE: Math & Physics Reference Books

In summary, the conversation is about preparing for the GRE in mathematics and physics and asking for recommendations on reference books and the level of difficulty on the exams. It is suggested to use a Princeton Review book for the test and to visit physicsgre.com and mathematicsgre.com for study tips and references. It is also advised to not use advanced texts but rather focus on big introductory physics books. The book "Conquering the Physics GRE" is recommended for review and test-taking strategies.
Segala
Dear folks,
I decided to prepare myself for taking the GRE on mathematics and physics next year, and coming from a non-traditional path (undergrad in music, basically self-taught in scientific matters), I'd like to ask you about some reference books and, thus, about the actual level of each subject on the exams.

For instance, for electromagnetics am I safe with my Purcell's E&M or may I read something like Jackson's book? Another example is real analysis (since the syllabus given by the site is not that clear): Rudin's Principles is OK or may I complement it with something else?

Any comments and thoughts are highly welcome! Thanks in advance, best regards,
Seg.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rudin is too heavy for the math GRE. As per my preparation, even a simple book like Ross will suffice as long as you have a solid grasp. I would invest in a Princeton Review book for the test. I did, and although I can't really infer how much of my score to attribute to it, it does cover the range of topics well.

Head over to physicsgre.com and mathematicsgre.com for study tips and references.

I will tell you right away that Jackson's text on Electrodynamics is unnecessary. That is a graduate-level text, so Purcell will do just fine as well as any freshman level text on the subject. If at all possible, try to take some physics classes at the undergraduate level.

For physics GRE all you need is one of those big introductory physics books like for example this.

It might sound surprising, but it is really true. When I was preparing for the physics GRE, I remember reading a blog by one of the people who make the test, saying the number one mistake people making when preparing is that they spend their time on texts which are too advanced, and that all you need is to go through one of those big introductory physics books (and of course make a few test exams, like you can find on physicsgre.com). This is the approach I tried and it worked quite well (980/990, not using anything outside of what you can find in such a book).

Would recommend getting the review book Conquering the Physics GRE. So far I have found the sample tests in the book are harder than the released exams (there are five dating from 1885-2008) but I think the book offers great advice on how to review for the exam as well as good test taking strategies.

What are the best reference books for GRE Math and Physics?

The best reference books for GRE Math and Physics are the official GRE Math and Physics guides published by ETS, as they contain the most accurate and relevant material for the exam. Other popular options include Barron's GRE Math Workbook and Princeton Review's Cracking the GRE Math Subject Test.

Is it necessary to study from multiple reference books for GRE Math and Physics?

It is not necessary to study from multiple reference books, but it can be helpful to supplement your studying with additional materials. However, it is important to prioritize the official ETS guides as they are the most accurate representation of the exam.

Are there any online resources for GRE Math and Physics preparation?

Yes, there are many online resources available for GRE Math and Physics preparation. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Magoosh, and Kaplan. These resources offer practice questions, video lessons, and other study materials to help you prepare for the exam.

How much time should I spend studying from reference books for GRE Math and Physics?

The amount of time you should spend studying from reference books will vary depending on your individual strengths and weaknesses. It is recommended to spend at least 2-3 months studying for the GRE, with a few hours of dedicated studying per day. It is important to also take practice tests and assess your progress regularly.

Are there any specific topics that are commonly tested in GRE Math and Physics?

Yes, there are some topics that are commonly tested in GRE Math and Physics. These include calculus, linear algebra, mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermodynamics. It is important to have a strong understanding of these topics and their applications to be successful on the exam.