Path connected subgroups of SO(3),

• Thread starter Tinyboss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path
In summary, a path-connected subgroup of SO(3) consists of either the identity, rotations about a single axis, or the entire group. This can be proven using Yamabe's theorem and the concept of Lie-subgroups. The proof involves determining the dimension of the subgroup and referencing the book "Structure and Geometry of Lie Groups" by Hilgert and Neeb.
Tinyboss
Hi, I'm giving a talk tomorrow morning, and I'd like to use the following fact: a path-connected subgroup of SO(3) consists of either a) only the identity, b) all the rotations about a single axis, or c) all of SO(3).

Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me find where I read it, and I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering it correctly. Can anyone provide a reference, a quick proof, or tell me it's wrong? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I probably saw this too late to be helpful for your talk, but the fact is true. The easiest proof is by applying Yamabe's theorem which says that any path-connected subgroup of ##SO(3)## corresponds to a subalgebra of ##\mathfrak{so}(3)##. More precisely, if ##H## is a path-connected subgroup of ##SO(3)##, then there is a Lie-subgroup ##\mathfrak{h}## of ##\mathfrak{so}(3)##, such that ##\mathfrak{h} = \langle \textrm{exp}\mathfrak{h}\rangle##.

So if ##\mathfrak{h}## has dimension ##0##, then you get the identity. If it has dimension ##1##, then you have the rotations with fixed axis. If it has dimensions ##3## then it is the entire group. It cannot have dimension ##2##.

For more information, see the excellent book by Hilgert and Neeb: "Structure and Geometry of Lie Groups"

micromass said:
I probably saw this too late to be helpful for your talk, but the fact is true. The easiest proof is by applying Yamabe's theorem which says that any path-connected subgroup of ##SO(3)## corresponds to a subalgebra of ##\mathfrak{so}(3)##. More precisely, if ##H## is a path-connected subgroup of ##SO(3)##, then there is a Lie-subgroup ##\mathfrak{h}## of ##\mathfrak{so}(3)##, such that ##\mathfrak{h} = \langle \textrm{exp}\mathfrak{h}\rangle##.

So if ##\mathfrak{h}## has dimension ##0##, then you get the identity. If it has dimension ##1##, then you have the rotations with fixed axis. If it has dimensions ##3## then it is the entire group. It cannot have dimension ##2##.

For more information, see the excellent book by Hilgert and Neeb: "Structure and Geometry of Lie Groups"

I really thought the proof would be easier than this. This fact seemed very intuitive to me.

Matterwave said:
I really thought the proof would be easier than this. This fact seemed very intuitive to me.

There is likely an elementary, direct proof. But this is the fastest way to prove it.

Hi there, thank you for your question. I am familiar with the fact you mentioned about path-connected subgroups of SO(3). This is known as the "Axis-Angle Theorem" and it states that any path-connected subgroup of SO(3) must be either the identity, a subgroup of rotations about a single axis, or the entire group SO(3). This theorem was first proved by Sophus Lie in the 19th century and has been a fundamental result in the study of rotations and symmetries in mathematics and physics.

A quick proof of this theorem can be done by considering the fact that SO(3) is a compact, connected, and simply connected Lie group. This means that any subgroup of SO(3) must also be compact, connected, and simply connected. Since any compact, connected, and simply connected Lie group is either the identity, a single rotation about an axis, or the entire group, the Axis-Angle Theorem follows.

I hope this helps with your talk tomorrow morning. Good luck!

What is a path connected subgroup?

A path connected subgroup is a subset of a larger group that can be connected by a continuous path. In other words, any two elements in the subgroup can be connected by a series of group operations.

What is SO(3)?

SO(3) is a special group of three-dimensional rotations in Euclidean space. It consists of all the possible rotations that can be performed in three-dimensional space, and it is also known as the three-dimensional special orthogonal group.

How are subgroups of SO(3) classified?

Subgroups of SO(3) can be classified based on their path connectivity. The most basic subgroups are the trivial subgroup, which contains only the identity element, and the entire group SO(3) itself. Other subgroups can be classified as connected or disconnected, depending on whether or not they are path connected.

What are some examples of path connected subgroups of SO(3)?

Some examples of path connected subgroups of SO(3) include the subgroup of rotations around a fixed axis, the subgroup of rotations around a fixed point, and the subgroup of rotations that preserve a certain geometric shape, such as a cube or a sphere.

Why are path connected subgroups of SO(3) important in science?

Path connected subgroups of SO(3) have many applications in science, particularly in the fields of physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are used to model the behavior of physical systems, such as molecules and crystals, and to study the symmetries and transformations of objects in three-dimensional space.