Realizing you're gay: What is meant by that?

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty for straight individuals to understand the concept of a "gay identity" and the misconceptions that often arise. The speaker explains that being gay is not solely about sexual fantasies or feeling different, but rather a deep sense of self-awareness and pride. They also mention the difference in maturation processes between gays and straights, leading to divergent mentalities and making understanding each other difficult.
OF course, there's going to be certain gestures said.

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion man, you can only hope that people mature and realize, if there sexuality is gay and it makes them happy then so be it. Instead of saying ''oh he's gay.. hence he's going to try and be gay around me and hit on me.. i better stay away from him.'' Appreciate what the gay man's got to offer lol.
Hell, i know this one guy who happened to be gay, in some short shorts beating everyone one on one in a game of basketball. Being gay has nothing to do with personality i think, it's only made to seem that way. Not every gay man has to be into the arts, but a lot of them are.

Physics news on Phys.org
I almost don't disagree with you.

However, since our personalities aren't wholly static from our birth (various traits becoming stronger or weaker as a result of individual life experiences and life-choices), consider the following scenario:

Take two guys who start out with basically the SAME personality, one gay, the other straight.
What I suggest, is that since their EXPERIENCES through adolescence will typically be quite strongly different from each other (due to discovery of different sexual orientations), then that difference might cause their adult personalities to diverge even though they started out equal.

I have tried, possibly unsuccessfully, to indicate somewhat more concretely what that might mean. Of course, if, for example "artistic leanings" is totally foreign to the personality profile they had in common originally, then neither the gay or straight guy will develop in that particular direction.

That other major different experiences (like the death of a parent, or a really lucky break with your first job) might have at least as much to say than their realization of different sexualities, is of course not denied either; I've tried to identify what diverging trends we might get, given "all other factors being equal".

Last edited: