Take a look at my fall schedule (physics/chem dual major)

In summary: It is possible, my mathamatics professor last semester completed a triple major in four years, at CalTech no less. The three were chemistry, math, and economics. I remember he said he just did a basic economics class and liked it so he decided to get his major in it. He really was a workaholic, he hardly ever got more than a couple hours of sleep and pulled all night work alot.Yup. Junior year.
leright
Fall semester:
Intermediate Inorganic
Analytical Chem
Analytical chem lab
Physical chem 1
physical chem 1 lab
Advanced Eng. Math
Contemporary Physics
Contemp. lab

:cry:

Spring Semester:
Quantum Mechanics
Physical chem 2
Physical Chem 2 lab
Linear Alg.
Advanced Organic
Advanced Inorganic
Instrumental Analysis lab

So is anyone else a dual major in ACS chemistry and professional physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
leright said:
So is anyone else a dual major in ACS chemistry and professional physics?
I considered a dual Chem/Physics major for a while, but then decided I didn't want to kill myself by spending every waking moment in the lab, as you seem to be preparing to do :wink:.

I'm impressed, though. That looks like three serious chem courses next semester... coupled with three labs, I think that would make me go nuts. You look like a glutton for pain but if you can pull it off more power to you :smile:.

The fall semester doesn't seem too bad

my fall semester will be as follows

modern physical chemistry
analytical chemistry
instrumental analysis
mega lab (physical, analytical, inorganic lab)
and I'll need to add one more

I'm a ACS chemistry major, which I might extend to an additional chemical engineering major since I've aced all my math and physics courses so far

I admit your second semester won't be a whole lot of fun, it will definitely lower your gpa

Last edited:
Look at this:

P-chem
Advanced thermodynamics
Linear Algebra
Clifford algebras
Engineering Circuit Analysis
Instrumental Analysis
Instrumental Analysis Lab
Fluid mechanics

My fall schedule. 22 credits. At least no humanities! :smile:

why do you have to take eight courses in a semester? :confused:

how the bleeping hell? OOOOH your labs count separate from your classes?

Brad Barker said:
why do you have to take eight courses in a semester? :confused:

I want to get a dual degree in 5 years.
:tongue:

I don't know why I am majoring in chem in addition to physics though...I hate chem labs.

I will definitely do something in physics when I head to grad school after I graduate.

leright said:

jeez'm crow, dude.

i'm double major phys and math, and i'll only have been in college for four years when i graduate, with my last six semesters containing only four courses each.

(so far I've had two semesters with five classes each and a summer term with two courses. i may do some more summer terms if i have time, but that would only get me more ahead.)

did you have like... absolutely no college credit coming into school? :confused:

Last edited:
The problem with taking some all those classes in one semester is the sheer amount of time one will need to spend in trying to master each subject, you can sort of get away with a "B attitude" in ealier courses, with advanced courses you're really going to need to push it cause each of the course material requires devotion and a lot of attention to detail.

seems that the three of us have common courses (leright and LEuler), all of us are taking p. chem, leright and I are both taking anal chem, and LEuler...instrumental analysis. Perhaps we can all correspond here during the fall to "cheat" or whatever;)

LeonhardEuler said:
Look at this:

P-chem
Advanced thermodynamics
Linear Algebra
Clifford algebras
Engineering Circuit Analysis
Instrumental Analysis
Instrumental Analysis Lab
Fluid mechanics

My fall schedule. 22 credits. At least no humanities! :smile:

Euler, you must be a chemical engineering major, correct?

GCT said:
The problem with taking some all those classes in one semester is the sheer amount of time one will need to spend in trying to master each subject, you can sort of get away with a "B attitude" in ealier courses, with advanced courses you're really going to need to push it cause each of the course material requires devotion and a lot of attention to detail.

seems that the three of us have common courses (leright and LEuler), all of us are taking p. chem, leright and I are both taking anal chem, and LEuler...instrumental analysis. Perhaps we can all correspond here during the fall to "cheat" or whatever;)

yeah, I know I cram a lot in, but usually over the following summer I fill in the gaps in my understanding to make up for it.

leright said:

It is possible, my mathamatics professor last semester completed a triple major in four years, at CalTech no less. The three were chemistry, math, and economics. I remember he said he just did a basic economics class and liked it so he decided to get his major in it. He really was a workaholic, he hardly ever got more than a couple hours of sleep and pulled all night work alot.

leright said:
Euler, you must be a chemical engineering major, correct?

Yup. Junior year.

GCT said:

Good idea.

theCandyman said:
It is possible, my mathamatics professor last semester completed a triple major in four years, at CalTech no less. The three were chemistry, math, and economics. I remember he said he just did a basic economics class and liked it so he decided to get his major in it. He really was a workaholic, he hardly ever got more than a couple hours of sleep and pulled all night work alot.

wow, he went from being an undergrad the one semester to being a professor the next!

(nah, i know what you meant--just ribbin' on your syntax!)

1. What courses are included in your fall schedule for your physics/chem dual major?

My fall schedule for my physics/chem dual major includes courses such as quantum mechanics, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, and calculus.

2. How many credit hours are you taking in the fall?

I am taking a total of 15 credit hours in the fall for my physics/chem dual major.

3. Are there any specific classes or professors you are looking forward to in your fall schedule?

I am particularly excited for my quantum mechanics class with Professor Smith, as I have heard great things about his teaching style and expertise in the subject.

4. How do you plan on balancing the workload for both physics and chemistry classes?

I plan on creating a study schedule and staying organized with my assignments and deadlines. I also plan on seeking help from professors or tutors if needed.

5. Are there any extracurricular activities or research opportunities you plan on pursuing in addition to your fall classes?

Yes, I am a member of the Physics and Chemistry Club on campus and plan on participating in their events and activities. I am also considering applying for a research position in the physics or chemistry department.