Gentoo Installation - Shut Down Midway - Will It Still Work?

In summary, the process of installing Gentoo is long, but it is still possible to compile and install the system even if you have to turn off the computer.
klusener
ok, I installed gentoo from a livecd and because I had to go somewhere and had to turn off the computer, i just downloaded all the sources using emerge --fetchonly --emptytree system and then turned off the computer so I could come back later and emerge/compile the system. Should I have waited till everything was over and then rebooted or shut down or is it still going to work?

Computer science news on Phys.org
No, it doesn't really matter. Just boot from the livecd again, chroot to the root partition and continue what you were doing before.

klusener said:
ok, I installed gentoo from a livecd and because I had to go somewhere and had to turn off the computer, i just downloaded all the sources using emerge --fetchonly --emptytree system and then turned off the computer so I could come back later and emerge/compile the system. Should I have waited till everything was over and then rebooted or shut down or is it still going to work?

Dude, Emerging takes so long you should have left the computer on when you left.

dduardo said:
No, it doesn't really matter. Just boot from the livecd again, chroot to the root partition and continue what you were doing before.

ok, thanks. I was dreading going back and starting all over again.

Dude, Emerging takes so long you should have left the computer on when you left.

yeah, but there were people capable of turning off the computer unknowingly or intentionally (idiots) in the room. :p

ummm... this is kind of stupid, no, it is stupid, but how do you chroot back to the root partition?

I just booted the livecd and typed in cd / and then emerge --emptytree system, but it gave an error message saying emerge doesn't work and /bin/bash doesn't exist or something.

1. Can I safely shut down my Gentoo installation midway during the installation process?

It is not recommended to shut down your Gentoo installation midway during the installation process. Doing so can cause important configuration files to be left unfinished, resulting in a potentially unstable or non-functioning system.

2. What could happen if I shut down my Gentoo installation midway?

If you shut down your Gentoo installation midway, there is a possibility that your system may not boot properly or may experience errors due to incomplete configuration. It is always best to complete the installation process in one session.

3. Is there a way to resume the installation process if I have to shut down midway?

While it is not recommended, there is a way to resume the installation process if you have to shut down midway. You can use the genkernel --reconfig command to reconfigure and continue the installation process.

4. Can I shut down midway if I encounter errors during the Gentoo installation process?

If you encounter errors during the Gentoo installation process, it is best to try and troubleshoot and resolve the errors before shutting down. If you are unable to resolve the errors, you can use the genkernel --reconfig command to try and resume the installation process.

5. Should I follow any specific steps before shutting down my Gentoo installation midway?

If you must shut down your Gentoo installation midway, it is recommended to backup any important files or configurations before doing so. This will help minimize the risk of losing important data or configurations in case of errors during the installation process.