Tainted love -which version is best (least bad)?

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary: I quite like that too. Certainly very different.In summary, the versions I've found on youtube are Soft Cell, Gloria Jones, and Manson.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
"Tainted love"-which version is best (least bad)?

Ed Cobb's classic from the 1960's has been performed by many artists, and it happens to be one of my favourite "light" pop tunes.

So, I'll post the ones I've found on youtube and prefer:

1964-Gloria Jones (original)

1981-Soft Cell (the one I grew up with, and am partial to)

1985-Coil (great version, IMO)

2001-Manson (the one I like the least..)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Easy:

The Swans' version.

Can't find a link yet.

I hear there's a Ramones version of it. I'm intrigued!

I do love the Soft Cell version. Brings back happy memories. :)

I like the Manson song and video the best of all.

I quite like all of them. Its just a good song.

Soft cell. What can I say? I'm biased.

The Gloria Jones original is a fairly new addition to youtube, and it was a pleasant rendering.
Hopefully, the Swans' and The Ramones' versions will be posted as well by someone (I haven't heard those)

Here's a few more:

Milk Inc:

Marc Almond, 1993:

Pussycat Dolls (together with Marc, though..):

Gloria Jones. Old school.

Ok, so my favourite's now the Pussycat Dolls one! :biggrin:

holy crap, I'm going to make a mix cd with just all these different covers

omg gloria jones all the way; that one is definitely the best

Gloria Jones, for sure! I fell in love with this song (and many other Motown-flavored releases) when it was new. I had my little AM radio tuned to Buffalo every night as soon as the sun went down (when the little stations had to shut down and give the big boys the airwaves).

Definitely Manson.

I loved Soft Cells version, Blue Oyster Cult did it too.

Is there anyone who hasn't done this song?

Soft Cell for me, that's the one I grew up with also.

Math Is Hard said:
Is there anyone who hasn't done this song?
I never covered this one, though I must admit to covering a lot of songs by Peter Green (founder of Fleetwood Mac in the mid-60s) and Elmore James, along with more blues giants than I could ever name.

Evo said:
Soft Cell for me, that's the one I grew up with also.
Soft Cell's "sonar" blips were were not only intrusive, but wrecked the tone of the original, for me. I'm older, and probably got hooked on the original.

Manson. His is the best.

hypatia said:
I loved Soft Cells version, Blue Oyster Cult did it too.

BOC?

I cannot imagine it.

I prefer the Soft Cell version for singing along, but I have to admit, the Manson version is really suited to the lyrics...very effective at giving a really creepy feeling. I just don't like the beginning where it's just a crappy remix of the instrumentals from the Soft Cell version.

It's a really interesting contrast from the original to the Manson version.

If you wish creepiness, Moonbear, I would advise you to listen to Coil's superslow, industrial version:

Coil:

arildno said:
If you wish creepiness, Moonbear, I would advise you to listen to Coil's superslow, industrial version:

Coil:

I quite like that too. Certainly very different.

What is the original version of "Tainted Love"?

The original version of "Tainted Love" was recorded by Gloria Jones in 1964. However, the most well-known version is the cover by Soft Cell in 1981.

Which version of "Tainted Love" is considered the best?

This is a subjective question as it depends on personal preference. Some may prefer the original version by Gloria Jones, while others may prefer the cover by Soft Cell. Both versions have their own unique style and appeal.

Are there other notable versions of "Tainted Love"?

Yes, there are many notable versions of "Tainted Love" by various artists such as Marilyn Manson, The Pussycat Dolls, and Rihanna. Each version offers a different interpretation and sound.

Why are there so many covers of "Tainted Love"?

"Tainted Love" is a popular and timeless song that has been covered by many artists over the years. Its catchy melody and relatable lyrics make it a popular choice for covers.

What are the main differences between the various versions of "Tainted Love"?

The main differences between versions of "Tainted Love" are the artists' interpretations and the musical arrangement. Some versions may have a faster or slower tempo, different vocal styles, or added instrumentals.