Is a Decades/Centuries-Long Fission Reactor Possible?

In summary, the author suggests that it is possible to create a fission reactor that will operate for decades or even centuries without refueling. Theoretically, we can do so if the macroscopic absorption cross section for the fertile nuclide equals that for the fissile species. However, this is not always achievable in reality.
nuclear
hi guys,

I am just wondering is it possible in reality to construct a fission reactor that will operate for decades or even centuries without refueling? Theoretically, we can do so if the macroscopic absorption cross section for the fertile nuclide equals that for the fissile species. and few possible combinations are as follows:

1) Fissile= U-233 Fertile= Th-232
2) Fissile= U-235 Fertile= U-234
3) Fissile= Pu-239 Fertile= U-238

is this achievable in the reality?

Engineering news on Phys.org

If your goal is to create a power source that will last for several hundred years without needing fuel (one that fuels itself), may I suggest the following:

A very small amount of Uranium (even depeleted uranium), constantly emits radiation. Some of that radiation is in the form of low powered RF energy (the rest you can shield). If you induce the rf energy to charge a capacitor, and have it drive a bridge rectifier, the output would be DC.

Granted, yes, the overall power outputed as DC would be very low, however, if you build several thousand of these miniture 'toys', and then connected them together as if they were batteries, the total outputed DC power would then be the sum of the whole. If enough of these 'toys' are used and connected together in some neat complex circuit, then power levels as high as several mega watts can be achieved. A constant supply of power that would outlive the shelf life of its components. Great for satillites, and has very little waste, unlike reactors.

Hope this helps.

Americium generates alpha particles (and is easy to come by)
Alpha particles ionises gasses,
Fill a container with americium and hydrogen,
seperate the protons and electrons (magnets?)
use the static electricity generated to power something (americium's half-life is about 100 years)
You can use whatever your alpha-particle producing isotope instead of americium.

Disclamer;
I may or may not be truthful
I may or may not know what i am talking about
I may or may not be correct
This disclamer is subject to this disclamer.

I think if you mean with perfect reactor the long distance of constantly power production (thermal energy) and not the environmental pollution, then you can find it in nature.

In Oklo (Gabun - Africa) there was 2x10^9 years ago a natural reactor with controlled reaction over five-thousend years.
It has had in the beginning a concentration of 3% U-235 which is enough to start a controlled reaction. The moderator was normal H2O. The core had a dimension of several kilometers.

The thermal pollution of this reactor went only 40 m in the ground. The radioactive waste is stored in the reactor since that time.

So it is a perfect reactor if you put enough material in it for working over a long time.

I don't believe that you can copy it to solve our energy problems. :wink: But mother Earth shows us a possibility.

LB

1. Can we build a fission reactor that can last for decades or centuries?

Yes, it is possible to build a fission reactor that can last for decades or even centuries. However, it requires careful planning, design, and maintenance to ensure its longevity.

2. How does a fission reactor work?

A fission reactor works by splitting atoms of a radioactive material, such as uranium, through a process called nuclear fission. This process releases a large amount of energy, which is harnessed to produce electricity.

3. What are the challenges in building a long-lasting fission reactor?

The main challenges in building a long-lasting fission reactor include managing and disposing of nuclear waste, ensuring the safety and stability of the reactor, and finding suitable materials that can withstand the high levels of radiation and heat produced by the reactor.

4. Is a fission reactor a sustainable source of energy?

Fission reactors can be considered a sustainable source of energy as they use a small amount of fuel to produce a large amount of energy. However, the issue of nuclear waste disposal and potential accidents must be carefully addressed to maintain its sustainability.

5. What are the potential risks of a fission reactor lasting for decades or centuries?

The long-term operation of a fission reactor can lead to the buildup of nuclear waste, which can be hazardous to both humans and the environment. There is also a risk of accidents, although modern reactor designs have safety features to prevent major incidents.