Trig Geometry Problem: Solving sin(x)=cot(x) in Terms of cos(x)

In summary, the conversation was about finding the value of cos(x) in terms of sin(x) and solving a quadratic equation using trigonometric identities. The triangle given had x as the angle, 'a' as the adjacent, 8 as the opposite side, and 'h' as the hypotenuse. The goal was to show that sin(x) = cot(x) for this triangle and to solve for the correct value of cos(x). The individual also discussed their attempt at a solution and confirmed that they had solved the correct quadratic equation.
Sam223344

Homework Statement

A triangle with x as the angle, 'a' as the adjacent, 8 as the opposite side and 'h' as the hypotenuse. An intermediate question was to show that sin(x)=cot(x). Now i have to write 'sin(x)=cot(x)' in terms of cos(x) only and solve the quadratic, stating correct value for cos(x)

Homework Equations

2. "sin(x)=cot(x)" in terms of cos(x). a*h=8^2

The Attempt at a Solution

3. I have used some trig identities and have got cos^2(x)+cos(x)-1=0. Is this correct? To solve i solved x^2+x-1 using quadratic formula and got 2 answers, one negative. So cos(x) is the positive value..?

Physics news on Phys.org
How can you hope to "show" that sin(x) = cot(x) when that normally isn't true?

If x was an angle such that sin(x) = cot(x), then cos(x) would satisfy your equation.
Why couldn't cos(x) be negative? And what does all this have to do with your given triangle? What are you actually trying to do?

For this triangle a*h=8^2. This can be shown by using a^2+b^2=c^2. To show that sin(x)=cot(x) 'in this case' : By using sin(x)=opp/hyp = 8/h and a*h=*^2. Rearrange for h=8^2/a

so sin(x)=8/(8^2/a)=a/8 and cot(x)=adj/opp=a/8

so sin(x)=cot(x) for this case.

Yeah the angle is acute(sorry forgot to mention), so that means I am correct?

Last edited:
Given what you wrote in the first post, h is the hypotenuse and a and 8 are the legs, so a2 + 82 = h2, not a*h = 82. Your substitution was wrong when rewriting sinx.

sinx = a/h, cotx = a/8

It might be helpful if i explain why a*h=8^2 for this triangle?

h^2=8^2+a^2
8=sqrt(h^2-a^2)
8=sqrt(h^2-(h^2-8^2))
8=sqrt(8^2)
so 8=8
so a*h=8^2
I'm still needing conformation that I solved the correct quadratic

Last edited:

1. What is the trigonometric identity used to solve sin(x)=cot(x) in terms of cos(x)?

In order to solve this trigonometric equation, we need to use the identity: sin(x) = 1/cot(x).

2. How do you rewrite the equation sin(x)=cot(x) in terms of cos(x)?

We can rewrite the equation as sin(x) = 1/tan(x) = cos(x)/sin(x) = cos(x)csc(x).

3. What is the solution to the trigonometric equation sin(x)=cot(x) in terms of cos(x)?

The solution is x = π/4 + nπ, where n is any integer, or x = 3π/4 + nπ, where n is any odd integer.

4. What is the relationship between sin(x)=cot(x) and cos(x)?

The relationship between sin(x)=cot(x) and cos(x) is that they are reciprocals of each other. This means that when one is divided by the other, the result is always 1.

5. Can you solve the equation sin(x)=cot(x) in terms of cos(x) without using identities?

No, we cannot solve the equation sin(x)=cot(x) in terms of cos(x) without using identities because the equation is not directly solvable. We need to use the identity sin(x) = 1/cot(x) to rewrite the equation in terms of cos(x) and solve for x.