Cauchy -schwarz inequality help

In summary, the Cauchy Schwarz inequality can be proven using two methods: the first method involves expanding and using the discriminant, while the second method involves summing over the quantities within the parentheses for which the two indices i and j differ. The sign in the second method is negative because the terms are subtracted.
dr hannibal
Need help proving Cauchy Schwarz inequality ...

the first method I know is pretty easy

[itex]\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (a_ix-b_i)^2 \geq 0 [/itex]

expanding this and using the discriminatant quickly establishes the inequality..The 2nd method I know is I think a easier one , but I don't have a clue about how this notation works..

Since cauchy SHwarz inquality states..

[tex](a_1b_1+a_2b_2+...+a_nb_n)^2 \leq ((a_1)^2+(a_2)^2+..+(a_n)^2)((b_1)^2+(b_2)^2+...+(b_n)^2)[/tex]

[tex]((a_1)^2+(a_2)^2+..+(a_n)^2)((b_1)^2+(b_2)^2+...+(b_n)^2)-(a_1b_1+a_2b_2+...+a_nb_n)^2 \geq 0[/tex]

I don't usnderstand how the below notation works as I can't follow from the above line to the line below , if someone can point me to some resources where I can know more about it :) ...[itex]\displaystyle\sum_{i\not=j}^n ((a_i)^2(b_j)^2+(a_j)^2(b_i)^2-2a_ib_ja_jb_i ) [/itex]Thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
That's just summing over the quantities within the parentheses for which the two indices i and j differ. Note that if i = j, the quantity inside the summation is just 0, so it does not contribute to the sum.

snipez90 said:
That's just summing over the quantities within the parentheses for which the two indices i and j differ. Note that if i = j, the quantity inside the summation is just 0, so it does not contribute to the sum.

thanks :) , one more small question when they have summed the above where is [tex]-2a_ib_ja_jb_i[/tex] comming from?

[tex](a_1b_1 + a_2b_2 + \ldots + a_nb_n)^2[/tex]​

Expanded out, convince yourself that whenever i ≠ j you get a 2aibiajbj. To do this, it helps to write out a simple case for small n (n = 2 or 3) and look at how what terms you get that involve i ≠ j. The sign in your example is negative, because you are subtracting.

Tedjn said:
[tex](a_1b_1 + a_2b_2 + \ldots + a_nb_n)^2[/tex]​

Expanded out, convince yourself that whenever i ≠ j you get a 2aibiajbj. To do this, it helps to write out a simple case for small n (n = 2 or 3) and look at how what terms you get that involve i ≠ j. The sign in your example is negative, because you are subtracting.

thanks

1. What is the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality?

The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is a mathematical inequality that states the maximum value of the dot product between two vectors is equal to the product of their magnitudes. In other words, it states that the angle between two vectors cannot be greater than 90 degrees.

2. How is the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality used in mathematics?

The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is used in various areas of mathematics, including linear algebra, functional analysis, and probability theory. It is an important tool for proving other mathematical theorems and inequalities.

3. Can you give an example of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality in action?

One example of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is in the proof of the triangle inequality for vectors. The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is used to show that the sum of the magnitudes of two vectors is always greater than or equal to the magnitude of their sum.

4. How is the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality related to the concept of orthogonality?

The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is closely related to the concept of orthogonality, which refers to the perpendicularity of two vectors. The inequality states that the dot product of two vectors is equal to the product of their magnitudes only when the vectors are orthogonal.

5. Are there any applications of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality outside of mathematics?

Yes, the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality has applications in other fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve optimization problems, estimate error bounds, and analyze data in various real-world scenarios.