Convert PDF Equations to Word Doc

In summary, if you need to convert a PDF with complex equations to editable Word documents, you may need to copy and paste the equations into a Word Equation Editor, or use an external program like Illustrator to edit the equations.
CC1925
Does anyone know of any software that can convert a PDF with complex equations to Word? Word uses cambriamath and products like adobe are not equipped to convert from PDF to Word.

The issue is this - we need to update many equations and charts which are currently in a PDF format. We need these to be editable documents. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums!

Unfortunately, unless you have the original LaTeX source for the documents (I'm assuming that the .PDFs were typeset in LaTeX) you probably won't be able to copy the equations (again, I'm assuming you have 'pretty' LaTeX equations, and not just a bunch of text) and make them editable in Word.

However, if you can select the text that forms the equation, you can then copy and paste it into Word's Equation Editor and reduce the amount of work required to re-create the equation.

Hhhhmmm...I have always just had the free Acrobat Reader that allows you to view PDF files, but I hear there is a full version of Acrobat that allows you to edit the PDF files...I wonder if you can open your file with such version and have an easier time editing or copying them.

Google
MathType PDF
and see if any of the things you find with that might show you that MathType can convert a pdf back into mathtype.

You could also politely call the MathType folks and see if they offer any hope.

gsal said:
Hhhhmmm...I have always just had the free Acrobat Reader that allows you to view PDF files, but I hear there is a full version of Acrobat that allows you to edit the PDF files...I wonder if you can open your file with such version and have an easier time editing or copying them.

There is, but it's primarily for mark-up / commenting, and light editing (non-reflowed insertion of text, basic geometry, etc.) I've heard conflicting reports of whether or not you can paste in images (of say, an equation generated using a LaTeX to image program / website).

Larger-scale edits are easier using Illustrator (assuming you have a Creative Suite, and not just stand-alone Acrobat Pro).

1. How do I convert equations in a PDF to a Word document?

To convert equations in a PDF to a Word document, you can use a specialized PDF to Word converter software or an online converter tool. These tools can accurately recognize and convert equations from a PDF into editable Word format.

2. Can equations be converted from a scanned PDF to a Word document?

Yes, equations can be converted from a scanned PDF to a Word document using Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology. This technology can recognize and convert scanned images of equations into editable text in a Word document.

3. Will the equations retain their formatting after conversion?

Most PDF to Word converters will retain the formatting of equations during the conversion process. However, it is always a good idea to check the converted document and make any necessary adjustments for formatting.

4. Are there any limitations to the types of equations that can be converted?

The ability to convert equations from a PDF to a Word document may vary depending on the complexity of the equations and the software or tool used for conversion. Some converters may have limitations on the types of equations they can accurately convert.

5. Do I need special software to convert equations from a PDF to a Word document?

While there are specialized PDF to Word converter software available, there are also many free online converter tools that can effectively convert equations from a PDF to a Word document. These tools are usually user-friendly and do not require any special software or technical skills.