Determining height of powerline by throwing ball upward

In summary, the height of the power line is 6.3 m and the initial speed of the ball is 11.1 m/s. However, there may be an error in the calculation of the initial speed and it is recommended to double check this value.
PhySci83

Homework Statement

To find the height of an overhead power line, you throw a ball straight upward. The ball passes the line on the way up after 0.80 s, and passes it again on the way down 1.6 s after it was tossed. What is the height of the power line and the initial speed of the ball?

Homework Equations

y = y0 + v0 + 0.5*a*t^2
v^2 - V0^2 = 2*g*(y_final - y_initial)

The Attempt at a Solution

To find when the ball was at the peak of the throw, I found the mid-point of 0.80 s and 1.6 s which is 1.2 s.

I calculated the maximum height of the ball by using the equation y = y_max + v0 + 0.5*a*t^2, where:
y = 0
y_max = desired
v0 = 0
a = -9.8 m/s^2
t = 1.2 s

Plugging these in, I got a maximum height of 7.056 m

Next, since I am looking for the height of the wire, I calculated the height difference between the maximum height of the path and the wire using the same equation, but using 0.4 s for time since from the height of the path to the ball passing the wire, it took 0.4 s. Again, I used the equation y = y_diff + v0 + 0.5*a*t^2, where:
y = 0
y_diff = desired
v0 = 0
a = -9.8 m/s^2
t = 0.4 s

Plugging these in, I got a differential height of 0.784 m.

To find the height of the line, I subtracted the difference from the maximum height:

7.056 m - 0.784 m = 6.272 m = 6.3 m (sig figs)

Then to find initial speed, I used the equation v^2 - v0^2 = 2*a*(y_final - y_initial), where:
v = 0
v_0 = desired
a = -9.8 m/s^2
y_final = 6.3 m
y_initial = 0

Plugging these in, I get an answer of 11.1 m/s.

I am submitting this into an online homework database and it tells me that my signs are wrong. I was under the assumption that speed and height are always positive since they are not vectors and it is only their counterparts, velocity and displacement, that carry the possible negative values.

Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
PhySci83 said:
Then to find initial speed, I used the equation v^2 - v0^2 = 2*a*(y_final - y_initial), where:
v = 0
v_0 = desired
a = -9.8 m/s^2
y_final = 6.3 m
y_initial = 0
I see no problem with the sign of your answers, but you've made an error in calculating the initial velocity. The height at which v = 0 is the maximum height, not the height of the powerline.

I think your signs are fine, but the magnitude of your initial speed seems to be off by a bit. Perhaps you can double check that.

1. How do you determine the height of a powerline by throwing a ball upward?

To determine the height of a powerline, you will need to first measure the distance from where you are standing to directly underneath the powerline. Next, stand in an open area and throw a ball directly upward as high as you can. Measure the distance the ball travels and then use the formula: height = (distance)^2 / 8. This will give you an estimate of the height of the powerline.

2. Why is throwing a ball upward used to determine the height of a powerline?

Throwing a ball upward is used because it allows for a direct and accurate measurement of the distance the ball travels. This distance can then be used in a formula to estimate the height of the powerline. Additionally, throwing a ball upward is a relatively simple and cost-effective method compared to other techniques, such as using a measuring tape or laser rangefinder.

3. How accurate is the method of throwing a ball upward to determine powerline height?

The accuracy of this method depends on several factors, such as the skill of the person throwing the ball, the type of ball used, and any external factors that may affect the trajectory of the ball. In general, this method can provide a rough estimate of the powerline height, but it may not be as precise as other measurement techniques.

4. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when using this method?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when using this method. Be sure to stand in an open area away from any obstacles or people. Use a ball that is not too heavy or hard, as it could cause injury if it falls back down. It is also recommended to have someone else assist with the measurement process to ensure accuracy and safety.

5. What are the limitations of using this method to determine powerline height?

There are a few limitations to using this method. As mentioned before, the accuracy may vary depending on external factors. Additionally, this method may not be suitable for determining the height of powerlines that are located on uneven terrain or in areas with limited space for throwing the ball upward. It is also important to note that this method provides an estimate and may not be as precise as other measurement techniques.