Is There a Derivative for Our Own Lives?

• Thread starter mathscience
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
C is:C= [A/(1+BA)]If A is good, B is good, then C is the result.If A is bad, B is good, then C is a good result, but only if one doesn't consider the cost of implementing B. If A is good, B is bad, then C is bad.If A is bad and B is bad, then C is bad, but not as bad as if B were good.In summary, the conversation discussed the idea of applying the principles of calculus to one's own life. Some people believed that this could be useful in understanding and improving oneself, while others argued that human behavior is too complex and unpredictable for calculus
mathscience
Newton discovered the derivative of a function. But what if we used that same methodology and applied it to our own lives?

What I mean is, what if there were a specific derivative to our own life?

Just a thought.

Physics news on Phys.org
That would help you with integrating in society.

I always try to derive pleasure from life, avoid going down any slippery slopes, and have regular functions. My life has been increasing exponentially though so taking the derivative won't change anything.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I always try to derive pleasure from life, avoid going down any slippery slopes, and have regular functions. My life has been increasing exponentially though so taking the derivative won't change anything.

It's those regular functions that are the most important. I just HATE it when my functions go irregular on me.

I prefer my functions to be discrete rather than continuous.

If the specific derivative is effective enough to change the way you function, it usually becomes a controlled substance.

jtbell said:
I prefer my functions to be discrete rather than continuous.

I prefer they be discreet as well as discrete.

mathscience said:
Newton discovered the derivative of a function. But what if we used that same methodology and applied it to our own lives?

Just a thought.

It's just a matter of defining it :smile:

mathscience said:

Just a thought.

do offspring count?

Pythagorean said:
do offspring count?

:rofl: that's a funny thought - introducing your children as your derivatives...

lisab said:
:rofl: that's a funny thought - introducing your children as your derivatives...

So my parents are integrals??

micromass said:
So my parents are integrals??

they were definitely integral to your derivative

Pythagorean said:
they were definitely integral to your derivative

That makes them really smooth.

At least one of them had to be. The other probably had to set limits.

Pythagorean said:
At least one of them had to be. The other probably had to set limits.

I know they were very open about things. They rarely had divergent thoughts.

micromass said:
That makes them really smooth.

Yes. If they didn't integrate, and instead used the trapezoid rule, they'd be step parents.

life being a state of never-ending growth and change, it's the second derivative we ought to watch.

Yeah but don't go too far with that. If you bring up the third derivative, you're going to sound like a jerk.

Ygggdrasil said:
Yeah but don't go too far with that. If you bring up the third derivative, you're going to sound like a jerk.

But it can be reversed by a fourth mention. Jerks can change.

I'm so sad I read this forum post...

PRodQuanta said:
I'm so sad I read this forum post...

What? You mean to say you didn't derive any pleasure from it?

Think think think...

uh, slope, area under the curve, partial derivative, "as time goes to infinity," "as my patience approaches zero," ...

dang it, something's there, but I can't put it together!

Chi Meson said:
Think think think...

uh, slope, area under the curve, partial derivative, "as time goes to infinity," "as my patience approaches zero," ...

Maybe your deriver's license has expired.

Chi Meson said:
Think think think...

A man's got to know his limits.

lisab said:
Maybe your deriver's license has expired.
d'oh!

Jimmy Snyder said:
A man's got to know his limits.
d'oh/d't!

Last edited:
Calculus for dummies?

Dummy variables are often useful in calculating an integral or a derivative. You just have to explain carefully what they're doing, so they don't get confused.

I thought for sure this was going to be a locked thread by now. That was a trollish question it seemed. OP? Are you there?

Chi Meson said:
I thought for sure this was going to be a locked thread by now. That was a trollish question it seemed. OP? Are you there?

A drive-by it would seem, which is a shame since we have provided so much that he could integrate into his thought process.

Maybe we derove him out of his mind.

This was not a troll question. It's only a General Discussion type question.

I'm sure anyone who has studied Calculus has at some point applied some of the principles to their own life, probably to relate to it and understand it better.

That's hardly controversial.

Oh there you are! Do forgive me, the question had the earmarks of a "set up" where the poster would come back and say something like "all aspects of life ultimately derive down to one constant, [deity]" Glad to see that's not the case. Though it was a good response thread...

Well then you deserve an honest answer to your question... ahem...

no. I find myself applying calculus principles all the time, but only to figure out quantifiable problems. The core of calculus requires that you know the functions, the proportionalities, of interacting variables. Although our biophysical responses in our brains could be ultimately described as functions, they'd be so complicated and inter-dependent with outside variables they'd be unpredictably chaotic. A simple task such as choosing a toothpaste would be described as the most complicated differential equation
Edward Witten has ever seen.

But isn't the thread closed if it remains within its proper bounds?

""I'm sure anyone who has studied Calculus has at some point applied some of the principles to their own life, probably to relate to it and understand it better. ""

Calculus is logical. Human behavior is illogical.

Life is lived forward but understood backward , so in that regard life is a feedback loop.

Math of feedback loops is its own field and i find feedback theory far more directly applicable to life than is calculus, though feedback is pretty intense in its use of calculus..

I recommend "Psychocybernetics" by Maxwell Maltz. It is a book that suggests applying feedback principles to everyday life.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0671700758/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Also TI's introduction to feedback,
http://www.ti.com/lit/ml/sloa077/sloa077.pdf

If A describes one's behavior
and B describes self examination and adjustment of behavior

feedback theory says the result is A / (1 + A*B) which will be normally smaller than A.

so when life is undergoing wild and crazy swings, i apply some introspection and feedback.

old jim

Last edited by a moderator:
One math principle that might apply to life is the slope. If your life is going poorly, you have a negative slope. If your life is going well, you have a positive slope.