Are the Rules of This Forum Hindering Scientific Progress?

• Complaint
  • Thread starter freemind
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the rules of the forum and how they prevent individuals from sharing personal theories and ideas. The person speaking brings up the comparison to the inquisition and questions the purpose and effectiveness of the forum's rules. The other person clarifies that the forum's purpose is to discuss and teach mainstream, peer-reviewed science, and suggests that the individual can still pursue their ideas and theories outside of the forum.

are you aware that galileo had personal theories that challenged mainstream theories

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

• unsure

• Total voters
freemind
hi,
after checking the box to be able to post i have to say that i do not agree to the rules of this forum and i stand against such rules in the most strongly terms.
i came to this forum after i searched something related to 2012. i discovered that the thread was locked and decided to contact an admin regarding that. then i also saw the forum rules. i have to wonder if humanity have learned anything from history. maybe its time for the admins of this site to stray into the realm of history and see that the rules set in this forum are really similar to the rules that prevented many thinkers throughout the ages to theorize and make discoveries -i wonder if the admins have heard of the inquisition? i wonder if they are just trying to follow its rules against science itself or they just ignore the parallels? when a controller organization or individual start banning certain theories such is starting to be dogmatic and unscientific, perpetuating persecution against free minded scientists and individuals. how are discoveries to be made if established science is not challenged? how errors in it are going to be corrected if its not challenged? i strongly suggest to the rule setters to consult an expert on the inquisition to probe the rules for this forum and to read the time period of the scientific revolution and the trials the inquisition made against scientists with novel theories challenging established science. it perplexes and mesmerizes me the rules of this forum as unscientific, dogmatic and an insult to great thinkers like galileo and Newton.

thank you for your attention.

Physics news on Phys.org
freemind said:
i have to say that i do not agree to the rules of this forum

So don't post here, you don't have to.

Thank you.

You seem to have missed the point of this forum, a common mistake. Whilst it is flattering to assume that we represent some authority over the scientific community we actually aren't, our banning personal theories does nothing to stop someone developing and publishing that theory in peer reviewed journals (which incidentally would give it the status necessary to be discussed here).

The purpose of this site it to teach and discuss peer-reviewed, mainstream science. That is all. We may never be able to say "that paradigm altering theory was party developed here" but that's a price we're willing to pay from preventing discussions that detract from out stated purpose.

One final point you seem to have confused our banning of personal theories as some sort of blanket statement on our part that all these theories are wrong. This is a fallacy, it could very well be that there are personal theories out there just waiting to revolutionise their field but that doesn't change the fact that this is not the place for them.

Last edited:
41Y7UQUmkWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Put him on the rack!

freemind said:
... maybe its time for the admins of this site to stray into the realm of history and see that the rules set in this forum are really similar to the rules that prevented many thinkers throughout the ages to theorize and make discoveries -i wonder if the admins have heard of the inquisition?...
But our forum does not prevent you from developing your ideas and getting them published in a scientific journal. We simply don't allow your ideas to be posted here, at this one out of many internet venues, until they are published in a qualified journal. We do not try to put you in jail or apply any physical harm to you. So this comparison of our forum to the inquisition is quite unwarranted.

1. What are the specific rules that may hinder scientific progress in this forum?

The rules that may hinder scientific progress in this forum can vary, but some common examples include restrictions on the types of research topics or methods that can be discussed, limitations on the sharing of data or resources, and strict guidelines for how scientific findings can be presented or interpreted.

2. How do these rules impact the ability of scientists to freely exchange ideas and collaborate?

These rules can limit the ability of scientists to freely exchange ideas and collaborate by creating barriers or restrictions that hinder the open and free-flowing exchange of information. This can stifle creativity and innovative thinking, and limit the potential for collaboration and progress.

3. Are there any benefits to having rules in place for scientific discussions in this forum?

Yes, having rules in place for scientific discussions in this forum can help maintain a level of professionalism and ensure that discussions are based on sound scientific principles. These rules can also help prevent the spread of misinformation or pseudoscience, and promote a respectful and constructive environment for scientific discourse.

4. How can scientists work within the rules to continue making progress in their research?

Scientists can work within the rules by carefully following the guidelines and restrictions set forth by the forum, while also finding creative ways to communicate their ideas and findings within those parameters. They can also actively engage in discussions and seek out collaborations with other scientists who may have different perspectives or expertise.

5. Are there any steps that can be taken to improve the rules and promote scientific progress in this forum?

Yes, the rules can be periodically reviewed and updated to ensure they are in line with current scientific practices and promote open and respectful discussions. Additionally, forum administrators can actively encourage and facilitate collaborations and discussions among scientists to promote progress and innovation.