How can I handle the singularity in my integrand equation?

• Thread starter Teg Veece
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Singularity
In summary: So you could set r = c and solve for c.In summary, the equation relates two variables - x and x' - and if x' is kept constant and x is actually the set of every real number, then the function can be expressed as the integral where the integrand relates x' to the integration variable u between the interval of minus infinity to infinity. However, when x' is integrated from minus infinity to infinity, the integrand goes to infinity and the solution to the equation may require evaluation of a function h when x' is also integrated from minus infinity to infinity.
Teg Veece
I have an equation that relates two variables:
[tex]k(\mathbf{x},\mathbf{x}') =exp(-(\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}')^2)[/tex]
If I want to determine the value of this equation where x' is kept constant and x is actually the set of every real number then I can express the function as the integral where the integrand relates x' to the integration variable u between the interval of minus infinity to infinity:
[tex]f(\mathbf{x}') = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} exp(-(\mathbf{u}-\mathbf{x}')^2) d\mathbf{u}[/tex]
and the solution to this will be some sort of error function.

Now, a slight variation on this. I need to include an additional term that's like a weighting term which decays with distance from x. So I'm trying to find a solution for the following equation:
[tex]g(\mathbf{x},\mathbf{x}') = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{exp(-(\mathbf{u}-\mathbf{x}')^2)}{|\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{u}|} d\mathbf{u}[/tex]
The problem I'm having is that when [tex]\mathbf{u} = \mathbf{x}, [/tex]
then the integrand goes to infinity. I think I can get around it by possibly converting to spherical coordinates (all of vectors here are 3-D vectors) but I also need to evaluate the function, h, when x' is also integrated from minus infinity to infinity and a second weighting term is introduced:
[tex]h(\mathbf{x},\mathbf{x}') = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{exp(-(\mathbf{u}-\mathbf{v})^2)}{|\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{u}||\mathbf{x}'-\mathbf{v}|} d\mathbf{u}d\mathbf{v},[/tex]
and here the spherical coordinate approach doesn't seem to help.

How do I deal with this singularity? Someone suggested complex analysis but I'm not very familiar with that area.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can post how I evaluate g(.,.) using spherical coordinates if people think it'd help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Teg Veece and welcome to the forums.

One suggestion is to use a distance metric plus a constant. So instead of |x-u| you scale it by say |x-u|+c where c is a preferably positive number (unless you want the behaviour of a negative). Something like c = 1 seems like a good initial one to try.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Wouldn't adding a constant to the denominator not have a significant effect on the final result depending on what I set c to be? Like c = 0.01 would be a very different solution from c=10.

I know that they have a similar problem with singularities when calculating gravitational potential but they get around that by using spherical coordinates:

[tex] \Phi(\mathbf{x}) = -G \int \frac{\rho(\mathbf{x}')}{|\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}'|}d \mathbf{x}'[/tex]

I think you can do a change of variables and, when you convert to spherical polar, the r^2 that appears above the line cancels with the denominator to leave you with just a r term multiplying the numerator.

1. What is a singularity in an integrand?

A singularity in an integrand is a point where the function being integrated becomes undefined or infinite. This can occur when the function has a vertical asymptote, a discontinuity, or a pole.

2. How does a singularity affect the integration process?

A singularity can cause the integration process to become more complex or even impossible. It can lead to undefined or infinite values in the integral, making it difficult to calculate accurate results.

3. Can singularities be avoided in integration?

In some cases, singularities can be avoided by using a different integration method or by breaking the integral into smaller parts. However, in many cases, singularities are inherent in the function and cannot be avoided.

4. Is it possible to integrate a function with a singularity?

Yes, it is possible to integrate a function with a singularity, but it requires special techniques such as contour integration or the use of Cauchy's principal value. It may also require the use of numerical methods instead of analytical methods.

5. How can singularities be identified in an integrand?

Singularities can be identified by analyzing the function and looking for points where it becomes undefined or infinite. They can also be identified by graphing the function and looking for jumps, breaks, or asymptotes. In some cases, they can also be found by using mathematical techniques such as finding the roots of the denominator of a rational function.