Modeling Wave Dynamics in a Cylinder on a Fulcrum

In summary, the conversation discusses the modeling of waves in a cylinder filled with fluid and put in motion. The speakers consider the importance of boundary conditions and the material properties of the cylinder in determining the behavior of the waves. They also mention the use of constraints in infinitesimal mechanics and the differing opinions on the wave's behavior when it hits the boundary.
JPBenowitz
Suppose I have a cylinder on a fulcrum that is filled half way with a fluid, how would I model the waves in the cylinder if it were put in motion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey JPBenowitz.

I don't know much about this, but wouldn't you supply boundary conditions for the edge of the cylinder and also the fulcrum to get the behaviour?

Also with regards to infinitesimal mechanics, if you can make the constraints holonomic then you can deal with the theory that utilizes these constraints.

chiro said:
Hey JPBenowitz.

I don't know much about this, but wouldn't you supply boundary conditions for the edge of the cylinder and also the fulcrum to get the behaviour?

Also with regards to infinitesimal mechanics, if you can make the constraints holonomic then you can deal with the theory that utilizes these constraints.

I talked to a professor in computational fluid mechanics and he said the wave function is essentially destroyed when it hits the boundary then I talked to a physics professor and he said the wave is simply reflected in the cylinders reference frame so I really don't know where to begin.

I think its going to depend on the material as well and this depends on how the material absorbs the wave and whether it absorbs it completely or reflects it.

If the medium absorbs the wave then you have one set of conditions and if it reflects it, then you have another set of conditions.

Do you know about the material properties of the cylinder?

chiro said:
I think its going to depend on the material as well and this depends on how the material absorbs the wave and whether it absorbs it completely or reflects it.

If the medium absorbs the wave then you have one set of conditions and if it reflects it, then you have another set of conditions.

Do you know about the material properties of the cylinder?

The material is a metal so it reflects the wave. Although the wave cannot be perfectly reflected because the cylinder is in motion about the fulcrum.

1. What is the purpose of modeling wave dynamics in a cylinder on a fulcrum?

The purpose of this type of modeling is to understand and predict the behavior of waves in a cylindrical structure that is supported by a fulcrum. This can have applications in various fields such as engineering, oceanography, and fluid dynamics.

2. How is the wave dynamics in a cylinder on a fulcrum modeled?

The wave dynamics in this system can be modeled using a combination of mathematical equations and computer simulations. The equations used are based on the principles of fluid mechanics and structural mechanics, and the simulations are run to visualize the behavior of the waves.

3. What factors affect the wave dynamics in a cylinder on a fulcrum?

There are several factors that can affect the wave dynamics in this system, including the size and shape of the cylinder, the material properties of the cylinder and fulcrum, the angle of the fulcrum, and the properties of the surrounding fluid.

4. What are the potential applications of studying wave dynamics in a cylinder on a fulcrum?

Studying wave dynamics in this system can have practical applications in various fields. For example, understanding the behavior of waves in offshore structures such as oil rigs or wind turbines can help with their design and maintenance. It can also have applications in oceanography for predicting how waves will interact with underwater structures.

5. What are the limitations of modeling wave dynamics in a cylinder on a fulcrum?

Like any modeling approach, there are limitations to modeling wave dynamics in this system. Some of these limitations include the assumptions made in the mathematical equations, the accuracy of the computer simulations, and the simplifications made to the system in order to make it more manageable for analysis.