What is the heat current from the sun to a unit area on Earth?

In summary, the heat current emitted by a radiating body is given by the formula ##\frac{dQ}{dt}=H=A e \sigma T^4##. To calculate the H from the sun to a unit area on earth, you can use ##H_{earth}R_{earth}^2=H_{sun}r_{sun}^2## where R is the orbital radius of Earth and r is the radius of the sun. A represents the surface area of the sun, while e is the emissivity factor, which is always less than 1. To find the total radiated power, divide by the surface area of the sphere around the sun at the distance of the earth, and multiply by the area
Pepealej
I'm recently studying heat transfer processes. I saw that the heat current emited by a radiating body is given by:

[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt}=H=A e \sigma T^4[/tex]

I was wondering how to calculate the H from the sun to a unit area here on earth. How should I do it? I've seen exercises where they use this formula and for A they use the area of the body in question, but they never do it like:

What H from the sun do we receive here on earth? I guess it's not the same being on the surface of the Earth and being on that of the sun, right?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Based on Hsun and the surface area of the sun, you can calculate the total power of the sun. In a distance of 1 AU (=the distance earth-sun), this power is distributed over a sphere with a radius of 1 AU, which allows to calculate the intensity.

Simplified: ##H_{earth}R_{earth}^2=H_{sun}r_{sun}^2## where R is the orbital radius of Earth and r is the radius of the sun.

Hi Pepealej! :smile:

A is the area that is radiating, ie the surface area of the whole sun (4πr2).

(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_radiation#Radiative_power)

e (or ε) is the emissivity factor, always less than 1, because the sun is not a perfect black body radiator …

I don't know where to find the value of ε.

That gives you the total radiated power …

at the Earth's surface, that covers the whole sphere round the sun at the distance of the earth, so you have to divide by the surface area of that sphere, and multiply by the area of the bit of Earth you're interested in (usually 1 square metre). :wink:

1. What is heat current from the sun?

The heat current from the sun, also known as solar radiation, is the transfer of heat energy from the sun to the Earth and its atmosphere.

2. How does heat current from the sun reach the Earth?

The sun emits electromagnetic radiation, including infrared, visible light, and ultraviolet rays. These rays travel through space and reach the Earth, where they are absorbed by the Earth's surface and atmosphere.

3. What factors affect the amount of heat current from the sun?

The amount of heat current from the sun that reaches the Earth's surface is affected by factors such as the Earth's tilt, the distance between the Earth and the sun, and the composition of the Earth's atmosphere. These factors can change the amount and intensity of solar radiation that reaches the Earth.

4. How does heat current from the sun impact the Earth's climate?

The heat current from the sun is a major driver of the Earth's climate. It warms the Earth's surface, causing temperature variations and influencing weather patterns. Changes in solar radiation can also impact the Earth's climate over long periods of time.

5. How is heat current from the sun used as a renewable energy source?

Solar energy, which is harnessed from the sun's heat current, is a renewable energy source that can be used to generate electricity. Solar panels, which contain photovoltaic cells, convert solar energy into electricity that can power homes and businesses.