Where can I find application notes for electronic components?

In summary, Application Notes can be a helpful supplement to textbooks, and some places have a wider variety of notes than others.
Jiggy-Ninja
I'm attempting to accumulate as many Application Notes from as many places as possible, and I would like some suggestions about where to get them. I've found them to be an enormously helpful supplement to the textbooks at school, sometimes explaining certain concepts clearly where the books miserably failed. Littelfuse's thyristor notes were great when the book didn't give us enough information to make sense of our lab assignment.

If there's an aggregator site, that would be awesome, but even just a list of manufacturer sites is good enough. If they specialize in a particular product, a note about that would be nice too.

Here's a list of the places I've already got on my list (I'll edit as stuff comes in):

Analog Devices
Atmel - AVRs
Fairchild Semiconductor
FTDI - USB protocol converters
Freescale Semiconductor
Linear
Littelfuse - Thyristors and circuit protection
Maxim Integrated
Microchip - PIC
NXP
ON Semiconductor
Texas Instruments

Engineering news on Phys.org
Application notes to what field of study ?

For automation products www.Rockwell.com has tons of references and application notes for VFD's, PLC's, solid state devices etc.

Fluke also has some excellent application notes for a variety of common problems such as Harmonics.

www.controlguru.com has some excellent application notes on process control

Agilent has HP T&M classic app notes

Jiggy-Ninja said:
... Application Notes from as many places ... I've found them to be an enormously helpful supplement to the textbooks at school, sometimes explaining certain concepts clearly where the books miserably failed.
I agree that they are very helpful. Back when there was no internet, you had to go to "trade shows" (e.g. http://www.canontradeshows.com/expo/spack13/) where chip companies were happy to hand out their goodies. I can't say how much I enjoyed and learned from having them. I have, among many others, these hard cover http://www.signetics.com/en/ ones. They have a copyright of 1974, two years after Signetics Corp. introduced the 555 timer chip.

$%28KGrHqR,!kwFBV9f1tJZBQ%281%29%29Mp2w~~60_35.JPG
$%28KGrHqZ,!rgE-dKvgiFNBPzPkLlJIg~~60_35.JPG

Don those two are treasures. Best explanation of PLL's ever.

Neat metal detector in the thin one...

and a VOR receiver ...

When working as a Field Engineer for an Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) manufacturer in 1976 we all considered the "General Electric SCR Manual" as an essential reference for the design, operation, and maintenance of our power converters (rectifiers and three phase inverters).

Edit:
Found this on VCRs:
Siliconix AN105, FETs as Voltage Controlled Resistors
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...gMhAL2diZjzR_zH5A&sig2=TnDE_BxI576Wmt6EywZFIw

and

here is a collection of Ap Notes covering many types of circuits:
Aaron's Synth DIY Datasheet and Ap Note Collection
http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~lanterma/sdiy/datasheets/

Last edited:
Mordred said:
Application notes to what field of study ?

For automation products www.Rockwell.com has tons of references and application notes for VFD's, PLC's, solid state devices etc.

Fluke also has some excellent application notes for a variety of common problems such as Harmonics.

www.controlguru.com has some excellent application notes on process control
I'll take a look at pretty much anything you can recommend.

As good as Control Guru looks, I'm mainly looking for PDFs that I can download and read on my tablet. The book on there seems to be in all HTML.
gnurf said:
Collection of app notes by Jim Williams that includes what older and more knowledgeable people than me refer to as "classics" such as High Speed Amplifier Techniques (AN47) and Switching Regulators for Poets (AN25):

Unitrode seminars on anything Switch Mode Power Supply related:
I've already got Linear on my list. That includes a lot of the Jim Williams stuff. In fact, both of the notes you specifically linked to are already on my drive. I will take a good look at those seminars.

1. What is an application notes site?

An application notes site is a website that provides technical documentation and information about specific applications or products. These notes can include instructions, tips, and troubleshooting advice to help users better understand and utilize the application.

2. How can application notes sites benefit scientists?

Application notes sites can benefit scientists by providing them with valuable information and resources related to their specific research or experiments. These sites can also help scientists troubleshoot any issues they may encounter while using a particular application.

3. Are application notes sites reliable sources of information?

It depends on the site and the specific application being discussed. It is always important to carefully evaluate the source and credibility of the information provided on an application notes site before using it in your research or experiments.

4. Can anyone contribute to an application notes site?

Typically, only authorized users such as the developers or experts of the application can contribute to an application notes site. However, some sites may allow users to submit their own notes or suggestions for consideration.

5. Are application notes sites free to access?

It varies from site to site. Some application notes sites may be free to access, while others may require a subscription or payment to access certain information or features. It is important to check the site's terms of use before accessing any information.