Accepting a position not related to physics

In summary, the conversation discussed a recent physics graduate's job search and a potential job offer at a company that manufactures various products for different industries. The graduate expressed a desire for a more technical position and asked for advice on how their first job out of college could affect their future opportunities. The conversation also touched on the current job market and the importance of adapting to reality. The specific job offer was for a position on the assembly line with a union and a salary of $21.00/hour. The group advised the graduate to gather more information and consider taking the job if no other offers were available.
CalcYouLater
I graduated with a BA in physics in December 2012 in the United States and am currently searching for a job.

I have a connection at a company that manufactures bearings, seals, and rings among other things for a variety of industries. Some examples of these industries are: medical systems, semiconductor, heavy machinery, aerospace and defense, and renewable energy.

I was offered a position at this company to work on the assembly line. The position was advertised to me as an opportunity to get my foot in the door.

I feel as though I should attempt to find a more technical position that requires a background in science/engineering.

Does anyone here have any experience or insight as to how your first job out of college has affected your future job choices/opportunities?

As of now, my resume is pretty blank as far as work experience goes (only restaurant jobs) and I am anxious to replace my current work experience section.

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally, I would take it. There is no such thing as jobs related to physics (besides being a physicist). Technical positions require specific technical skills. Being able to calculate eigenvalues is not one of them. ;) One of the few technical skills that physics undergrad often develop is programming. That is probably the most "sciencey" skill new grads have to market. Otherwise, if you want an engineering job consider getting an engineering degree.

ModusPwnd said:
Personally, I would take it. There is no such thing as jobs related to physics (besides being a physicist). Technical positions require specific technical skills. Being able to calculate eigenvalues is not one of them. ;) One of the few technical skills that physics undergrad often develop is programming. That is probably the most "sciencey" skill new grads have to market. Otherwise, if you want an engineering job consider getting an engineering degree.

Thanks for the advice. I can certainly agree with your post.

I think you should take it, too.

First jobs are almost never glamorous.

Bachelors in physics to become a factory worker? i must live in a bubble...no idea the jobmarket was that bad.

Can you tell us more about the specifics of the job? A position to work on the assembly line could mean a lot of different things. If you're just doing manual labor for low pay then that's really bad. But if you're running high-tech machinery, getting paid well, and have a union that could actually be a great job.

lisab said:
I think you should take it, too.
First jobs are almost never glamorous.

Thanks for the reply. I feel that I have a grandiose idea of what a first job would be like. I realize that it is silly to day-dream about my first job in that way, and it is helpful to read your post.

EternityMech said:
Bachelors in physics to become a factory worker? i must live in a bubble...no idea the jobmarket was that bad.

While I would like to believe the same, I do not have any experience in the job market other than the limited time that I have been searching for jobs. It would be nice to expect that a great position that suites me is out there waiting. However, I think it is much better for me to adapt to reality and deal with the choices that are directly in front of me rather than what may or not be.

pi-r8 said:
Can you tell us more about the specifics of the job? A position to work on the assembly line could mean a lot of different things. If you're just doing manual labor for low pay then that's really bad. But if you're running high-tech machinery, getting paid well, and have a union that could actually be a great job.

I can gather more information about the specifics of the job, just not at the current moment. I will post again in a day or two with more information as soon as I get in touch with someone that knows more. I can tell you that the position pays around $21.00/hour (around $43000/year), and has a union. I am not sure about the machinery or any other details at this time.

Thanks for all the replies, it really helps to have others opinions. It is making this part of the decision process much more clear to me.

CalcYouLater said:
I can gather more information about the specifics of the job, just not at the current moment. I will post again in a day or two with more information as soon as I get in touch with someone that knows more. I can tell you that the position pays around $21.00/hour (around $43000/year), and has a union. I am not sure about the machinery or any other details at this time.

This seems like a decent job. If you don't have any other offers it seems prudent to take it. Not knowing what company this is, I cannot tell you what kinds of opportunities you may find later. However, it is not unknown to move into a technical position from the manufacturing floor at a later date in the company I work for, so it is possible. Even if that is not the case here, this position will allow you to support yourself and gain experience.

1. Why would a physicist consider accepting a job not related to physics?

There could be a variety of reasons why a physicist might choose to accept a job that is not directly related to physics. It could be due to a lack of available job opportunities in their specific field, a desire for a change of pace or career path, or a need for financial stability. Additionally, many skills and knowledge gained from studying physics can be applied to other industries, making physicists qualified for a range of job opportunities.

2. Will accepting a non-physics job hinder my future career prospects in physics?

It is unlikely that accepting a job not related to physics will hinder your future career prospects in the field. In fact, having a diverse range of experiences and skills can often make you a more well-rounded and desirable candidate for future physics positions. Many physicists also pursue careers outside of academia, so gaining experience in other industries can open up new opportunities.

3. How can I explain my decision to accept a non-physics job to potential employers in the future?

Be honest and transparent about your reasons for accepting a non-physics job. Emphasize the transferable skills and knowledge you gained from your physics background and how they can be applied to the position you are applying for. Employers value a diverse range of experiences and will likely see your decision as a strength rather than a weakness.

4. Will I still be able to use the skills and knowledge I gained from studying physics in a non-physics job?

Absolutely. Studying physics involves developing critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are highly transferrable to other industries. Additionally, many non-physics jobs require a strong foundation in mathematics and science, making physicists well-suited for these roles.

5. Are there any challenges or drawbacks to accepting a job not related to physics?

There can be challenges or drawbacks to accepting a job not related to physics, just as there can be with any job. For example, you may have to learn new skills or adapt to a different work environment. However, these challenges can also provide valuable learning experiences and can help you grow both personally and professionally.