Compressing Water: Can It Be Done?

In summary: You are trying to compress a gas with a shockwave, which can cause it to turn into a liquid. This is because water needs energy to vaporize. If you don't provide the energy, then it will just stay a liquid.
Falgata
Okey I know that this title is somewhat misleading.

Here we go

Me and a friend started to discuss what would happen if someone took one unit of water and turn it into a gas and then rapidly compressed the gas before then cooling it down to room temperature.

I know that one can not compress water, but by doing this would it be possible to compress the gases and then allow it at a time off ones own choising uncompress the gas and let it go into a liquid state.

Physics news on Phys.org
Falgata said:
Me and a friend started to discuss what would happen if someone took one unit of water and turn it into a gas and then rapidly compressed the gas before then cooling it down to room temperature.

I know that one can not compress water, but by doing this would it be possible to compress the gases and then allow it at a time off ones own choising uncompress the gas and let it go into a liquid state.
If I understand correctly what you mean, you are wondering if you can transform liquid water into a gas, compress the gas into a volume less than that of the liquid water, and then let the gas condense into a liquid again, effectively resulting in a compressed liquid? Short answer: no! The boiling point varies with pressure. If you try to compress the gas too much (at constant temperature), it will transform into a liquid (or even into a solid, depending on the conditions).

Falgata said:
Okey I know that this title is somewhat misleading.

Here we go

Your argument is not clear, but I think I follow it up to the last part of the last sentence. There, you lose me completely. Water vapor will not "go into a liquid state" on its own. It must be either cooled or compressed or both. At room temperature, liquid water will naturally vaporize unless the ambient vapor pressure is at the equilibrium pressure or higher. This vaporization requires energy. If no energy is provided (heating), then the water will draw the enthalpy of vaporization from its surroundings.

I'm not sure what end you have in mind. Or, is this a thought problem? If so, it needs restating.

You can compress water. The shock hugoniot is well known for water.

I can confirm that it is not possible to compress water. Water is considered an incompressible substance, meaning it cannot be compressed into a smaller volume. This is due to the strong intermolecular forces between water molecules, which resist any attempts at compression.

However, it is possible to compress the gases that are produced when water is turned into a gas. These gases, such as steam, can be compressed and then cooled down to room temperature, resulting in the formation of liquid water. This process is commonly used in industrial and scientific applications, such as in steam turbines or distillation.

So while it is not possible to directly compress water, it is possible to manipulate its gaseous form to create a liquid. However, this process still requires a significant amount of energy and specific conditions to be successful. Overall, compressing water is not a feasible or practical method for creating liquid water.

1. Can water be compressed?

Yes, water can be compressed to a certain extent, but it is difficult to compress because of its molecular structure.

2. How is water compressed?

Water can be compressed by applying high amounts of pressure. This forces the water molecules to come closer together, reducing the space between them and resulting in a decrease in volume.

3. What happens when water is compressed?

When water is compressed, its density increases and its volume decreases. This is because the molecules are pushed closer together, making the water more compact.

4. What is the maximum amount of compression that water can undergo?

The maximum amount of compression that water can undergo is about 4.4% of its original volume. This is achieved at a pressure of about 10,000 atmospheres.

5. Is it possible to compress water into a solid state?

Yes, water can be compressed into a solid state under extreme pressure and low temperatures. This results in the formation of ice, which is a solid form of water. However, this is not a practical method for compressing water.