Register to reply

Violation of entropy?

by SarcasticSully
Tags: entropy, violation
Share this thread:
SarcasticSully
Mar30-14, 08:36 PM
P: 13
Ok so entropy cannot be destroyed, right? So let's say you have a reaction that decreases entropy (s<0) but it also is exothermic (h<0) and that overpowers the entropy decrease so it is spontaneous (ie h-ts=g<0). If that happens, where does the entropy go?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
Chemists develop new formulation for the generation of green flames
Four billion-year-old chemistry in cells today
Simon Bridge
Mar30-14, 09:20 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,447
If that is a closed system, then you have just described a net increase in entropy.
Possibly it is the imprecise use of words that is confusing you - or you are pulling my leg.
Redo the description, and describe it more carefully.
russ_watters
Mar30-14, 09:40 PM
Mentor
P: 22,239
"destroyed" is an odd term to use here: entropy is energy. It doesn't get destroyed, it gets counted. And I don't think it is possible for a negative entropy reaction to be exothermic. Do you have any examples?

Borek
Mar31-14, 02:30 AM
Admin
P: 23,370
Violation of entropy?

If I put glass of water into the fridge it will "spontaneously" freeze. This process is both exothermic and has a decreasing entropy. But it so blatantly obvious where the entropy "goes" I am not even going to mention it.

Register to reply