Comparison between metals and semiconductors

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a comparison between a normal conductor and a semiconductor, while also addressing the limitations of classical understanding in explaining how a semiconductor works. The topic of additional electrical properties of semiconductors, aside from decreasing resistivity at higher temperatures, is also brought up. It is mentioned that the use of band theory is not allowed in the assignment, but a historical overview leading up to band theory may still provide relevant information. The importance of researching and understanding the classical theory of conduction is emphasized.
002088iverson
Hey guys I've got an assignment. I need a comparison between a normal conductor and a semiconductor and why a classical understanding isn't enough to explain how an SC works. Also are there any electrical properties of an SC besides decreasing resisitivity at higher temps?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Review the classical treatment of how conduction and resistance happens.
Look up "band theory of solids" for how conductors, semi-conductors, and resistors get classified.

Semi-conductor behavior can get very complicated.
There are lots of properties besides the temperature dependence of resistivity.

im not allowed to use band structures :/

002088iverson said:
im not allowed to use band structures :/

Yet, you neglected to state this in your original post. Care to list out any further constraints to this assignment before one of us wastes our time and effort giving you a response that you can't use?

BTW, is this a school-related work that should have been done in the HW/Coursework forum instead?

Zz.

I apologise, this is the first time I've used a forum. I just saw solid state physics so I thought it'd go in there

band-theory as a search term will get you the information you need even though you cannot use the band theory itself. You will want some sort of historical overview leading up to band theory - that should actually tell you why band theory is needed.

You still need to spell out the classical theory of conduction and look for properties of semi-conduction that do not fit.

1. What is the main difference between metals and semiconductors?

The main difference between metals and semiconductors is the number of free electrons they have in their outermost energy level. Metals have a larger number of free electrons, making them good conductors of electricity, while semiconductors have a smaller number of free electrons, making them poor conductors.

2. Which types of elements are considered metals and semiconductors?

Metals are typically found on the left side of the periodic table, while semiconductors are found in the middle and right side of the periodic table. Common metals include iron, copper, and gold, while common semiconductors include silicon, germanium, and gallium.

3. How do metals and semiconductors differ in terms of band structure?

Metals have a partially filled valence band and a completely filled conduction band, allowing for easy movement of electrons. Semiconductors have a small band gap between the valence band and the conduction band, and can be easily manipulated to either conduct or resist electricity through doping.

4. Which material is better for electronic devices, metals or semiconductors?

It depends on the specific application. Metals are better for conducting electricity and are often used in wiring and circuitry. Semiconductors are better for controlling and manipulating electricity and are commonly used in transistors, diodes, and other electronic components.

5. How are the properties of metals and semiconductors affected by temperature?

As temperature increases, the conductivity of metals increases because more electrons are able to move freely. In semiconductors, the opposite is true - as temperature increases, the conductivity decreases due to the breaking of electron bonds. This is known as the negative temperature coefficient.