Chandrashekhar paper on white dwarf

In summary, the conversation is about finding a link to the original paper by Chandrasekhar that derived the limit for white dwarf stars. The person also asks for suggestions for other good papers on the topic. The response provides a link to a paper on the history of the Chandrasekhar limit and suggests checking his Nobel Prize lecture for clarification. The person also mentions needing time to work through the equations in the paper and plans to come back with more questions.
clumps tim
dear friends, can I get a link to the original paper by Chandrashekhar where he derived the limit for white dwarf? also you can suggest me other good papers deriving the limit.
regards

Astronomy news on Phys.org
clumps tim said:
dear friends, can I get a link to the original paper by Chandrashekhar where he derived the limit for white dwarf? also you can suggest me other good papers deriving the limit.
regards

This article contains an extensive list of references for the work of Chandrasekhar and others on white dwarf stars:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandrasekhar_limit

It's not clear which paper you are referring to, since Chandrasekhar published several papers at roughly the same time in different journals. Perhaps his Nobel Prize lecture clears up which paper is first.

that paper on white dwarf seems pretty informative and it will need me few days to re derive the equations, thanks a lot for the link, i will come back with other questions soon.
regards

Dear friend,

Thank you for your interest in Chandrashekhar's paper on white dwarfs. The original paper, titled "The Maximum Mass of Ideal White Dwarfs" was published in the Astrophysical Journal in 1931. You can access it through this link: https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1931ApJ....74...81C/abstract.

In addition to this paper, I would also recommend reading "The Structure of White Dwarfs" by Chandrashekhar, published in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society in 1934 (https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1934MNRAS..94...12C/abstract). This paper further expands on the concept of the maximum mass of white dwarfs and provides a more detailed analysis.

Other notable papers on this subject include "The Maximum Mass of White Dwarfs" by Landau and Lifshitz (https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1932ZPhy...71..211L/abstract) and "The Maximum Mass of White Dwarfs" by Oppenheimer and Volkoff (https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1939PhRv...55..374O/abstract).

I hope these resources are helpful in your research on white dwarfs. Best of luck in your studies.

Sincerely,

1. What is the Chandrashekhar paper on white dwarf?

The Chandrashekhar paper on white dwarf is a groundbreaking scientific paper published by Indian-American astrophysicist Subrahmanyan Chandrashekhar in 1931. It proposed the theory of white dwarf stars and explained their formation and properties.

2. What is the significance of the Chandrashekhar paper?

The Chandrashekhar paper was significant because it challenged the widely accepted belief at the time that all stars eventually collapse into a state of infinite density called a "singularity." Chandrashekhar's theory showed that there is a limit to how massive a white dwarf star can be, known as the Chandrashekhar limit.

3. What is a white dwarf star?

A white dwarf star is a small, dense star that is the final stage in the life cycle of most stars, including our own sun. It is made up of the leftover material from a star's core after it has burned through all of its fuel and shed its outer layers.

4. How did Chandrashekhar come up with his theory?

Chandrashekhar was studying at Cambridge University when he became interested in the behavior of stars. He studied the equations of stellar structure and used them to predict how a star would behave at different stages of its life cycle. His calculations showed that stars with a mass greater than 1.4 times that of the sun would not be able to support their own weight and would collapse into a white dwarf.

5. Has Chandrashekhar's theory been proven?

Yes, Chandrashekhar's theory has been proven through various astronomical observations and experiments. For example, in 1967, astronomers discovered a white dwarf star with a mass of 1.44 times that of the sun, exactly at the Chandrashekhar limit. This provided strong evidence for the validity of his theory. Today, the Chandrashekhar limit is an important concept in astrophysics and is used to understand the behavior of white dwarf stars and other objects in the universe.