Global Child Labor in Decline - ILO Reports

• News
  • Thread starter loseyourname
  • Start date
In summary, child labor is declining globally and could be eradicated within a decade according to the International Labor Organization. There are many factors contributing to this decline, such as the introduction of new laws and enforcement. Child labor is still prevalent in some parts of the world and requires continued efforts to be eradicated.
loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
GENEVA (Reuters) - Child labor, especially the worst forms where children's lives can be at risk, is declining for the first time globally and could be eradicated within a decade, the International Labor Organization (ILO) said on Thursday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060504/ts_nm/un_children_labour_dc

I figured the forum could use a little good news for a change. I don't really have a comment on this, but I wonder what everyone thinks. What's the simple solution to this? Is eradication of child labor by 2016 realistic? Can the rates of decline hold?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's an interesting article. My personal opinion is that, I'm skeptical on whether child labour (including the worst forms) can be completely eradicated by 2016.

This is a detailed report made in 2003 on bonded child labor in India's silk industry by the Human Rights Watch.

http://www.hrw.org/reports/2003/india/"

I think many of the topics covered in the report, such as problems faced in enforcing the law, still applies today.

Also, from my personal experience, too many children in India are still employed in various forms of work even in the major cities, and are denied the opportunity for basic education.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is the first time it declined, 10 years ain't happening.

Well, as long as people buy jewelry paved with melee stones (tiny faceted gemstones), child labor will go on - at least in India. Next time you see some rap star with a diamond-encrusted gold pendant as big across as your hand, think of the forced labor of the children who cut all those melee diamonds.

loseyourname said:
Is eradication of child labor by 2016 realistic? Can the rates of decline hold?
I believe we will continue to see a decline for the next few decades - largely due to the fact that some of the developing countries are the most populated (China, India, Brazil). Eradication (or reduction below the level of say, 20 million, or about 1% of all the children) will not happen anytime soon - certainly not by 2016.

While Child Labor may be in decline, it is nevertheless persistent in parts of the world.

Africa’s World of Forced Labor, in a 6-Year-Old’s Eyes
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/29/world/africa/29ghana.html

KETE KRACHI, Ghana — Just before 5 a.m., with the sky still dark over Lake Volta, Mark Kwadwo was rousted from his spot on the damp dirt floor. It was time for work.

Shivering in the predawn chill, he helped paddle a canoe a mile out from shore. For five more hours, as his coworkers yanked up a fishing net, inch by inch, Mark bailed water to keep the canoe from swamping.

He last ate the day before. His broken wooden paddle was so heavy he could barely lift it. But he raptly followed each command from Kwadwo Takyi, the powerfully built 31-year-old in the back of the canoe who freely deals out beatings.

“I don’t like it here,” he whispered, out of Mr. Takyi’s earshot.

Mark Kwadwo is 6 years old. About 30 pounds, dressed in a pair of blue and red underpants and a Little Mermaid T-shirt, he looks more like an oversized toddler than a boat hand. He is too little to understand why he has wound up in this fishing village, a two-day trek from his home.

But the three older boys who work with him know why. Like Mark, they are indentured servants, leased by their parents to Mr. Takyi for as little as $20 a year.

Until their servitude ends in three or four years, they are as trapped as the fish in their nets, forced to work up to 14 hours a day, seven days a week, in a trade that even adult fishermen here call punishing and, at times, dangerous.
We still have a long way to go to change this. :frown: :grumpy:

1. What is the definition of child labor?

Child labor is defined by the International Labour Organization (ILO) as work that deprives children of their childhood, their potential and their dignity, and that is harmful to their physical and mental development. It refers to work that is mentally, physically, socially or morally dangerous and harmful to children, and interferes with their schooling by depriving them of the opportunity to attend school or by requiring them to leave school prematurely.

2. How is child labor measured?

The ILO uses a statistical measure called the "child labor prevalence rate" to measure the extent of child labor in a country. This rate is calculated by dividing the number of children engaged in child labor by the total number of children aged 5-17 years old in the population. The ILO also uses other indicators, such as the number of hours worked and the type of work performed, to determine the severity and forms of child labor.

3. What are the main reasons for the decline in child labor?

The ILO reports cite several factors that have contributed to the decline in child labor globally. These include increased access to education, economic growth and development, improved social protections for families, and increased awareness and enforcement of laws against child labor. Additionally, global initiatives and partnerships aimed at addressing child labor, such as the Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Agreement, have also played a role in reducing child labor.

4. Which countries have seen the biggest decrease in child labor?

The ILO reports show that the Asia and Pacific region has seen the biggest decrease in child labor, with a 40% decline from 2000 to 2016. Other regions, such as Latin America and the Caribbean, have also seen significant reductions in child labor. However, some countries in Africa and the Middle East continue to have high levels of child labor.

5. What are the challenges in completely eradicating child labor?

Despite the decline in child labor, there are still challenges in completely eradicating it globally. These include poverty, lack of decent work opportunities for adults, inadequate social protection systems, and inadequate enforcement of laws and policies against child labor. Additionally, cultural and traditional practices, as well as armed conflict and disasters, can also contribute to the persistence of child labor in certain regions and countries.