Chem Rxn Help: Na_2SO_4 + Ba(NO_3)_2 -> BaSO_4 + NaNO_3

• Thread starter PhysicsinCalifornia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, the book's answer for the net ionic form of the chemical reaction Na2SO4 (aq) + Ba(NO3)2 (aq) → BaSO4 (s) + 2NaNO3 (aq) is [Ba·NO3]+ (aq) + SO4^2- (aq) ⇌ BaSO4 (s) + NO3^- (aq) and this could be due to the fact that the solubility product of Barium Nitrate is low and it is assumed that the second Nitrate ion does not disassociate significantly. The slow reaction time of the barium sulfate precipitate formation could also be a factor.
PhysicsinCalifornia
I just needed help understanding the concept of this chemical reaction

[tex]Na_2SO_4 (aq) + Ba(NO_3)_2 (aq) \rightarrow BaSO_4 (s) + 2NaNO_3 (aq)[/tex]
This is the conventional equation, and I wrote the net ionic form to be:

[tex]SO_4^{2-} (aq) + Ba^{2+} (aq) \rightarrow BaSO_4 (s) [/tex]

However, the answer in the back says:
[tex] [Ba \cdot NO_3]^+ (aq) + SO_4^{2-} (aq) \rightleftharpoons BaSO_4 (s) + NO_3^- (aq) [/tex]

Can anyone tell my why the books answers it like that?

I did the experiment on this and the barium sulfate precipitate took several minutes to form (a slow reaction) Is that why?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
According to my CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics,
the solubility product of Barium Nitrate (Ba(NO3)2) is about 4.64 E-3. This Ksp value is not exceptionally high, meaning that Ba(NO3) is a weak electrolyte.
This Ksp value corresponds to the degree of which Ba(NO3)2 will break into BaNO3+ and NO3- ions in solution,
Ba(NO3)2 (s) <===> BaNO3+ (aq) + NO3- (aq)

If the Ksp value for the neutral Ba(NO3) is so low, it would be expect to drop even lower (disassociate even less) when one is talking about the 2nd Nitrate ion disassociating,
BaNO3+ <===> Ba+2 (aq) + NO3- (aq)
Although I don’t have the value for this Ksp, it is probably much less than the first Ksp.

So to get back to your question,
your book may be assuming that the Ba(NO3)2 does not break up into Ba+2 ions to any significant quantity, but rather, stays as BaNO3+ after loosing the first Nitrate.

The conventional equation and the net ionic form you wrote are correct for the reaction between sodium sulfate (Na2SO4) and barium nitrate (Ba(NO3)2). However, the answer in the book is showing the formation of a complex ion, [Ba · NO3]+, which is formed when barium nitrate is dissolved in water. This complex ion is responsible for the slow reaction and the formation of the barium sulfate precipitate. The reaction between the complex ion and sulfate ions produces the solid barium sulfate and releases nitrate ions into the solution. The slow formation of the precipitate is due to the formation of the complex ion and the need for the ions to come into contact with each other in the solution. This is a common phenomenon in chemical reactions, where the formation of intermediate species can affect the rate of the reaction.

What is the balanced chemical equation for this reaction?

The balanced chemical equation for this reaction is: 2Na2SO4 + Ba(NO3)2 → BaSO4 + 2NaNO3

What type of reaction is this?

This is a double displacement reaction, also known as a metathesis reaction.

What are the products of this reaction?

The products of this reaction are barium sulfate (BaSO4) and sodium nitrate (NaNO3).

What are the reactants in this reaction?

The reactants in this reaction are sodium sulfate (Na2SO4) and barium nitrate (Ba(NO3)2).

What is the purpose of balancing a chemical equation?

The purpose of balancing a chemical equation is to ensure that there are equal numbers of atoms of each element on both the reactant and product side of the equation, following the law of conservation of mass. This also allows for accurate calculations and predictions in chemical reactions.