What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #1,821
My "meat connection" got me a case of restaurant t-bone steaks from his friend, a restaurant supplier. The restaurant they were for will only buy fresh steaks and they didn't need all that he had, so my friend asked me if I wanted some. Not a great deal, but not bad, $8 for a 20 ounce steak, top quality.

Of course to hear the Evo Child describe it "mommy, you bought a box of meat out of the trunk of someone's car? Hey, he supplies that jalapeno sausage that you crave so much.

It's been so long since I've cooked a steak that I'm afraid of ruining them. You only have one chance with a steak.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,822
When we first moved into this house a old guy with a freezer on the back of a old truck came by to sell "meat". I was really horrified at the thought of what kind of meat it may ...or may not be.
Then I noticed neighbors buying it, so I asked them about it, they said about the same thing as you, Evo. He gets it from a restaurant {of course we don't really know how he gets it} and its great quality at a great price.

• #1,823
Evo said:
My "meat connection" got me a case of restaurant t-bone steaks from his friend, a restaurant supplier. The restaurant they were for will only buy fresh steaks and they didn't need all that he had, so my friend asked me if I wanted some. Not a great deal, but not bad, $8 for a 20 ounce steak, top quality.

Of course to hear the Evo Child describe it "mommy, you bought a box of meat out of the trunk of someone's car? Hey, he supplies that jalapeno sausage that you crave so much.

It's been so long since I've cooked a steak that I'm afraid of ruining them. You only have one chance with a steak.

How do you like your steak cooked?

Me - rare. Like, still mooing.

• #1,824
lisab said:
How do you like your steak cooked?

Me - rare. Like, still mooing.
Mooing is good. :!) Mostly rare is perfect, but it's hard to get "mostly rare".

• #1,825
I am a bit under the weather, but my wife and I are celebrating 34 years together tomorrow (though she has to spend most of that day taking care of her mother with dementia). I spent today making a large batch of hot pizza sauce, and peeling and de-veining a pound of jumbo shrimp. I made a nice marinade/basting sauce to soak those rascals in and we'll have a nice meal tomorrow with those shrimp. Tonight, we had some nice roll-up snacks consisting of the pizza sauce mixed with sauteed, hamburg, onions, garlic, peppers, mushrooms, mozzerella, ground Romano, etc, cooked in wont-ton wrappers, and even more that were built in halved, cleaned jalapenos. Mmm!

• #1,826
Happy Anniversary, turbo - 34 years is quite an accomplishment!

• #1,827
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3OPQqH3YlHA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3OPQqH3YlHA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Not many 93-year-olds have their own Facebook account, let alone a blog and a wildly popular show on YouTube. But Clara Cannucciari's got all three, and she's also got the rapt attention of budget-conscious, Internet-savvy cooks everywhere who can't get enough of "Great Depression Cooking with Clara." On the show, she shares the recipes she learned from her mother for dishes that kept the family nourished when times were even leaner than they are today.

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/food/2009/02/27/2009-02-27_clara_cannucciari_is_a_youtube_sensation.html

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,828
lisab said:
Happy Anniversary, turbo - 34 years is quite an accomplishment!
Thanks, basil! It didn't seem to take any effort. After a while it just happened. I love my wife and our marriage didn't come with an expiration-date.

• #1,829
Evo said:

Alton Brown has a pretty good take on steak, and it works well with good cuts. Here's how it goes:

Let the steak come to room temperature, oil lightly and season with salt and ground black pepper.
Put your skillet in the oven and pre-heat it to 500 deg.
When oven comes to 500 deg, remove skillet and place on burner on "high" and put steak in skillet.
Cook the steak for 30 seconds without moving it, then flip it with tongs and cook for another 30 seconds.
Put pan and steak back into the oven for 2 minutes, then flip the steak and put back in for another 2 minutes. (This is for medium-rare - I don't use this much oven-time)
Remove from oven, put the steak on a room-temperature dish, cover loosely, and let the steak rest for a couple of minutes before serving.

I'm usually a "throw seasoned steak into pre-heated frying-pan kind of guy", but Brown's method works, and I use it with good cuts (especially with thick cuts).

• #1,830
turbo-1 said:
Alton Brown has a pretty good take on steak, and it works well with good cuts. Here's how it goes:

Let the steak come to room temperature, oil lightly and season with salt and ground black pepper.
Put your skillet in the oven and pre-heat it to 500 deg.
When oven comes to 500 deg, remove skillet and place on burner on "high" and put steak in skillet.
Cook the steak for 30 seconds without moving it, then flip it with tongs and cook for another 30 seconds.
Put pan and steak back into the oven for 2 minutes, then flip the steak and put back in for another 2 minutes. (This is for medium-rare - I don't use this much oven-time)
Remove from oven, put the steak on a room-temperature dish, cover loosely, and let the steak rest for a couple of minutes before serving.

I'm usually a "throw seasoned steak into pre-heated frying-pan kind of guy", but Brown's method works, and I use it with good cuts (especially with thick cuts).
Oh, that sounds good!

Yes, the trick is to get it very hot immediately so it doesn't start "roasting". I used to broil my steaks, but not all ovens are good for broiling.

Happy Anniversary!

• #1,831
Evo said:
Oh, that sounds good!

Yes, the trick is to get it very hot immediately so it doesn't start "roasting". I used to broil my steaks, but not all ovens are good for broiling.

Happy Anniversary!
Yeah, we have an older gas range that does a poor job at broiling, so if I don't feel like firing up the grill, I cook steaks this way.

And thanks! My wife will be at her mother's starting this afternoon, but our noon anniversary meal will center around spicy grilled shrimp. Mmm!

• #1,832
Evo said:
Mooing is good. :!) Mostly rare is perfect, but it's hard to get "mostly rare".

Remember my trick. Put the meat in a plastic bag in warm/hot water, ~90-100F for half an hour. Then bake for a minute or less. That's how you spell delicious+

• #1,833
turbo-1 said:
my wife and I are celebrating 34 years together tomorrow

Congratulations to both of you, tell Beth your postcard pal sends his best regards :wink:

• #1,834
I have been trying for years to make really good bread. The kind that you can only get from certain bakeries. With a thick hard crust and soft chewy center. Not the crap you get at the supermarket. The last time I found a bakery that made that kind of bread it was from the Bronx Bakery in NY. There is one or two in Paris that ship but I don't want to pay 60 dollars for a loaf of bread, even if it's to die for which it is from all reports.

It just so happens I found a recipe online a couple weeks ago and it is the answer to my dreams. Not only does it make the most incredible loaf I have ever had, it is also the easiest thing to make in the world. It can be made in 5 minutes and doesn't require kneading. It sounds too good to be true but it is. The first time I made it, it came out EXACTLY like in the article. I use nothing but All-Clad cookware, you can put it in the oven at any temp. I used a saucepan and I thought that it was going to stick because I followed the recipe with nothing in the pan to prevent sticking and there is no oil or fat in the bread. It always pops right out. Incredible.

http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2007/09/10/no-knead-bread-revisited

If you like GOOD bread, you will love this.

One of my cooking rules is ALWAYS follow the recipe the first time, then experiment. Don't expect it to come out the same if you use all-purpose flour instead of bread flour either.

Last edited:
  • #1,835
Thanks, nottheone! My wife makes some wonderful bread, but this one sounds great, an next time I decide to make bread, I'll give this one a whirl.

• #1,836
This recipe was already posted several months ago, it has its own separate thread if I recall correctly.

• #1,837
Borek said:
Congratulations to both of you, tell Beth your postcard pal sends his best regards :wink:
Thanks, Borek! Every year SHE is the one that asks ME how long it has been. :tongue:

Edit: Your postcard and envelope have a place of honor in her "special" keepsake box, along with my hand-drawn and hand-painted 1975 Valentine's Day card in which I asked her to marry me.

Last edited:
  • #1,838
Oh man, my meat connection gave me a large container of the restaurant's dry rub for the steaks. This stuff is killer. Not so hot that you can't take it, but a nice heat.

• #1,839
Evo said:
Oh man, my meat connection gave me a large container of the restaurant's dry rub for the steaks. This stuff is killer. Not so hot that you can't take it, but a nice heat.
Ooh! I never do that to good steaks! Hot stuff on the side maybe, but the locally-raised Black Angus steaks are treated with gentle care. I serve hot stuff very early on as appetizers, or as snacks afterward, but after paying premium prices for premium cuts, I am not going to overwhelm the taste of those steaks. Are you sure that you're dealing with someone who know what he's doing? Seems like such a waste...

• #1,840
It's a national steak restaurant chain. I'm using my regular seasoning on it, but will sprinkle some of this on afterwards, it's very tasty.

I'm the same, I don't like to destroy the taste of a good steak. I CANNOT believe that people use things like A-1 sauce which makes any cut of meat taste like vinegar and nothing else, or catsup. OMG are you people nuts?

• #1,841
Evo said:
It's a national steak restaurant chain. I'm using my regular seasoning on it, but will sprinkle some of this on afterwards, it's very tasty.

I'm the same, I don't like to destroy the taste of a good steak. I CANNOT believe that people use things like A-1 sauce which makes any cut of meat taste like vinegar and nothing else, or catsup. OMG are you people nuts?
Really! Steak sauce?! How many ways can you find to ruin a good cut of meat?

• #1,842
BTW, about the only difference I can find between good steaks bought at Ruth's Chris steakhouses and the ones that I produce at home is that the chain seems to want to drench them in butter. I can do better than that.

• #1,843
I sent The Evo Child out to buy sesame oil. She came back with some natural crap that was $9 a bottle that's endorsed by Jacgues Pepin. What a sellout! This is disgusting! It's called "refined" Sesame oil. It has no odor, no taste and I seriously cannot tell the difference between it and Crisco.

You buy sesame oil for the fragrance and the tase it gives. WTH?

Last edited:
  • #1,844
Evo said:
I sent The Evo Child out to buy sesame oil. She came back with some natural crap that was $9 a bottle that's endorsed by Jacgues Pepin. What a sellout! This is disgusting! It's called "refined" Sesame oil. It has no odor, no taste and I seriously cannot tell the difference between it and Crisco.

You buy sesame oil for the fragrance and the tase it gives. WTF?
That is SO wrong! Oils for cooking/eating should not be refined. I can get "refined" olive oil dirt-cheap, but my wife (who does all the food shopping) pays extra money for extra-virgin (first cold-pressing) olive oil from reliable suppliers. People who don't know how to cook don't have a clue, and I'm afraid that category fits 99+% of the American public.

• #1,845
BTW, here is a tip that I have shared before, but that bears repeating. When I make pizza sauce, I start from a basic set of ingredients using fresh tomatoes in season or canned if not, and simmer all day to thicken. I do this in a stainless-steel stock-pot over a gas burner. If you don't want to stand there for hours stirring to avoid scorching, put an aluminum tray or pizza-pan over the burner and then set the stock-pot on top of that. The aluminum distributes the heat more evenly to the bottom of the stock-pot, and you won't have bad hot-spots. It's much easier to get acceptable thickness in your sauce this way without risking bad taste from scorching.

• #1,846
Borek said:
This recipe was already posted several months ago, it has its own separate thread if I recall correctly.

I searched this thread for no knead and didn't get a hit. Oh well, it's good enough that if someone new sees it they'll be happy too. :smile:

• #1,847
nottheone said:
I have been trying for years to make really good bread. The kind that you can only get from certain bakeries. With a thick hard crust and soft chewy center. Not the crap you get at the supermarket. The last time I found a bakery that made that kind of bread it was from the Bronx Bakery in NY. There is one or two in Paris that ship but I don't want to pay 60 dollars for a loaf of bread, even if it's to die for which it is from all reports.

It just so happens I found a recipe online a couple weeks ago and it is the answer to my dreams. Not only does it make the most incredible loaf I have ever had, it is also the easiest thing to make in the world. It can be made in 5 minutes and doesn't require kneading. It sounds too good to be true but it is. The first time I made it, it came out EXACTLY like in the article. I use nothing but All-Clad cookware, you can put it in the oven at any temp. I used a saucepan and I thought that it was going to stick because I followed the recipe with nothing in the pan to prevent sticking and there is no oil or fat in the bread. It always pops right out. Incredible.

One of my cooking rules is ALWAYS follow the recipe the first time, then experiment. Don't expect it to come out the same if you use all-purpose flour instead of bread flour either.
Ehehehe, this is the no-knead pizza dough recipe I've used for ages. A great trick is to pour olive oil over it before baking, make sure you heavily coat all sides, it gives the dough a fried taste and texture that is out of this world.

• #1,848
that's funny about the sesame oil. probably refined because it comes from inedible dregs.

• #1,849
Evo said:

You buy sesame oil for the fragrance and the tase it gives. WTH?
Evo, you need to start your own line of foods and ingredients. :biggrin: and host your own show.

My daughter's boyfriend cooked a really nice soup last night. He browned some italian sausage and added some bacon. To this he added onions and potato, and kale. It was really good for a cold night.

It made me think of potato-leek soup.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/leek-potato-soup-recipe/index.html

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/POTATO-AND-LEEK-SOUP-11599

Boy, I strongly dislike the pop-ups and advertisements on these commercials sites. Anyway, there are some good recipes there.

One could do variations on kale, swiss chard and/or leek, and add bacon and/or italian sausage. I find soups and stews are much better the next day.

• #1,850
nottheone said:

O...M...G...

That website has a recipe for http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2007/07/03/sunday-morning-family-tradition-german-oven-pancakes-2" ...

I used to eat those all the time at a local restaurant. Think crepes married with pancakes with just a light topping of butter, powdered sugar, and lemon.

What a delight!

683629111_57f8fc3e6a.jpg

And thank you for the bread recipe. I've yet to make bread...

• #1,851
OmCheeto said:
O...M...G...

That website has a recipe for http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2007/07/03/sunday-morning-family-tradition-german-oven-pancakes-2" ...

I first tried these out from my grandma's church cookbook. I was quickly addicted. Still make one for myself when I need a comfort-food breakfast just for me.

• #1,852
Supper tonight centered around some cheap previously-frozen haddock fillets. The frozen stuff loses the sweetness of the fresh, so you've got to tinker with them. My wife came up with this last week, and it was wonderful tonight. Layer filets in a covered baking dish, spread chopped spinach (bird's eye frozen is good) on the fillets and top with crumbled feta cheese. Add another layer of fillets, and use a spatula to smear a layer of mayonnaise over the top, season lightly with salt and pepper, and bake. Uncover for the last 5-10 minutes if you want the top surface of the dish to be browned. We had ours with a baby-spinach salad, baked potatoes, and some steamed asparagus (on sale for $1.99/lb a few days ago). A VERY nice supper, especially if you have no ready access to fresh haddock or if you find the previously-frozen fillets on sale. Ours were $3.99/lb which is very cheap for good protein like fish.

• #1,853
Most posts have been about some nice dishes or even complicated recipes. How about a really simple one that lots of people can get wrong?

I like to make scrambled eggs in the morning for a quick and easy breakfast, and there are lot of ways to ruin them. Here's a method that is fool-proof. Pre-heat a cast-iron skillet and while it is heating up, crack a couple of eggs into a high-sided mixing bowl, season with black pepper, and add about an egg's worth of volume of warm water to the eggs. (I use 2:1 eggs:water as a guideline). Whisk briskly, mixing everything up and entraining some air into the mix. Throw a pat of butter into the pre-heated pan (it should sizzle), distribute the butter with a spatula and dump in the egg mix. Don't disturb the cooking eggs too frequently, but lift them from the skillet and flip them, working your way around the pan until they are done (soft, light, and moist) and get them onto a plate ASAP. You can season lightly with salt after the eggs are cooked, but do not add salt before cooking - that will make the eggs tough and rubbery, as will the addition of no water or too little water. I like to have my scrambled eggs with buttered toast and home-made tomato-based salsa. Fastest, tastiest on-the-go breakfast ever. It takes me longer to eat it than to make it.

Last edited:
  • #1,854
Oooh, I'm going to make that! I love spinach and feta!

• #1,855
Evo said:
Oooh, I'm going to make that! I love spinach and feta!
It is really good Evo, and it can make even a flat-tasting fish fillet (previously-frozen) into a treat. It is so easy and fast, you won't believe it.

Edit: I'm having some refrigerator-cold as a snack right now, and it is great.

Last edited: