Why is 1 always equal to 1 in mathematics?

• Thread starter ghostmonkey
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of equations and their representation of 1, with examples such as F=ma, a=a, and E=MC^2. The question arises of how to build complex equations from 1=1, and the difficulty of gaining information rather than losing it. The conversation also touches on the idea of the fundamental state of the universe and the importance of understanding differentiation in mathematics. The recommendation is made to read Frege's On Sense and Reference for a better understanding of the topic.
ghostmonkey
Is every conceivable equation not simply a circular representation of 1? If F=ma, then F=F and 1=1. If a=a, then 1=a/a=1. If E=MC^2, then E=E=1=1. How is mathematics an infallible language then? We should ultimately be able to conjure up even the most complex of equations, all being equatable to 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
ghostmonkey said:
Is every conceivable equation not simply a circular representation of 1? If F=ma, then F=F and 1=1. If a=a, then 1=a/a=1. If E=MC^2, then E=E=1=1. How is mathematics an infallible language then? We should ultimately be able to conjure up even the most complex of equations, all being equatable to 1.
What information do you get out of 1=1? You can pull out that there is an identity element, where 1 denotes a multiplicative element. Anything else? maybe... but not much.

Now take something like, [itex] e^{i \pi} +1 = 0 [/itex].

You get a lot of information here in a small package. You get [itex] e [/itex] from calculus, pi from geometry, fundamental operations (+, x), and complex numbers.

So how do you build up the most complex equations from 1=1? How do you gain the knowledge to add information from nothing?

Last edited:
ghostmonkey said:
No, because in going from F= ma, to F= F you are dropping information. I could as easily say that F= ma2 and derive F= F from that, even though F= ma2 is untrue. I note you say "We should ultimately be able to conjure up even the most complex of equations, all being equatable to 1" but every example you give goes the other way. It's easy to lose information. The hard part is gaining it. If I am given 2 and 3 I can say, without question, that 2+ 3= 5. But that does not help me solve the problem "if x+ y= 5 what are x and y".

0=1-1

Okay, I can appreciate the loss of information in going from complex to simple terms. But, regarding the x+y=5 equation, the trouble that I have is that if the sum of x and y is equal to 5, then (x+y) and 5 are identical statements, which is to say that (x+y)=(x+y) and 5=5, or 1=1.

What information is there to be gotten out of 1=1? Probably nothing, if you're looking for differentiation. Otherwise, maybe 1=1 gives us the fundamental state of the universe, which is to also say that 0=1-1. So everything in the universe is binary? Meh...

Well, whenever you present a x=y one can always compare it to 1=1.
But all you are doing is comparing different eqaulities, which is completely meaningless.
For example, that x=y and 1=1 could just as easily be stated as "x=y and 7.968=7.968"
Therefore, than can be no benefit in that type of comparison.

ghostmonkey said:
What information is there to be gotten out of 1=1? Probably nothing, if you're looking for differentiation.

What do you mean when you say: "looking for differentiation"?

ghostmonkey said:
Otherwise, maybe 1=1 gives us the fundamental state of the universe, which is to also say that 0=1-1

What would the fundamental state of the universe be? I don't understand... like do you mean it's age?

Last edited:
ghostmonkey, I hate to do this to you, rather than straightforwardly answer the question myself, but you will understand the difficulty you are having much better after reading Frege's On Sense and Reference.

loseyourname said:
ghostmonkey, I hate to do this to you, rather than straightforwardly answer the question myself, but you will understand the difficulty you are having much better after reading Frege's On Sense and Reference.

Interesting article loseyourname.

ghostmonkey said:
But, regarding the x+y=5 equation, the trouble that I have is that if the sum of x and y is equal to 5, then (x+y) and 5 are identical statements, which is to say that (x+y)=(x+y) and 5=5, or 1=1.
Absolutely not! The first statement tells me how x and y are related; neither of the latter statements does.

Also, more specifically :
then (x+y) and 5 are identical statements
No, they are terms (or quantities, if you like); they are not statements.

1. What does 1 = 1 = 1 mean?

When we say 1 = 1 = 1, it means that three different values (1, 1, and 1) are all equal to each other. In other words, they have the same numerical value.

2. How can 1 equal 1 and also equal 1?

1 can equal 1 in two different ways: as a mathematical expression or as a logical statement. In mathematics, 1 = 1 is a basic principle of equality, meaning that any number is equal to itself. In logic, 1 = 1 is a tautology, meaning that it is always true regardless of the values of the variables involved.

3. Is there a deeper meaning behind 1 = 1 = 1?

The statement 1 = 1 = 1 may have a deeper meaning in different contexts. In mathematics, it can be seen as a basic principle of equality and a starting point for more complex equations. In philosophy, it can be interpreted as a statement about the nature of identity and the concept of oneness.

4. Can 1 = 1 = 1 be false?

No, 1 = 1 = 1 is always true and cannot be false. As mentioned earlier, it is a tautology, meaning that it is always true regardless of the values involved. In mathematics, false statements are those that contradict known facts or violate logical rules, and 1 = 1 = 1 does not fall into either category.

5. How does 1 = 1 = 1 relate to scientific research?

In scientific research, 1 = 1 = 1 can be used as a guiding principle to ensure consistency and accuracy in measurements and data analysis. It also highlights the importance of reproducibility, where the same results should be obtained when an experiment is repeated. Additionally, the statement can be applied in statistical analysis to determine if two or more groups are significantly different from each other.