Solving Laplace's Equation: Problem With Boundary Conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the Laplace equation and boundary conditions, where the speaker uses separation of variables to solve for T(x,y,z). The X- and Z-parts of the solution are correct, but there are concerns about the periodicity of the Y-part. The speaker suggests breaking the problem into four separate parts and then combining the solutions. However, the other person in the conversation does not understand this approach.
Logarythmic
I have a problem solving

[tex]\nabla^2 T(x,y,z) = 0[/tex]
[tex]T(0,y,z)=T(a,y,z)=0 [/tex]
[tex]T(x,0,z)=T(x,b,z)=T_0 \sin{\frac{\pi x}{a} [/tex]
[tex]T(x,y,0)=T(x,y,c)=const.[/tex]

I use separation of variables and get

[tex]X_n (x) = \sin{\frac{n \pi x}{a} [/tex]
[tex]Y_n (y) = \cosh{\sqrt{\frac{n^2 \pi^2}{c^2} + \frac{n^2 \pi^2}{a^2}}y} + \sinh{\sqrt{\frac{n^2 \pi^2}{c^2} + \frac{n^2 \pi^2}{a^2}}y} [/tex]
[tex]Z_n (z) = \cos{\frac{n \pi z}{c} [/tex]
[tex]T(x,y,z) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n X_n (x) Y_n (y) Z_n (z)[/tex]

where I have used the boundary conditions for x and z. Is this correct?
If it is, I'm having problems to wrap this up. I suppose I can use the condition for T(x,0,z) to get the constants. My calculations gives me

[tex]a_n = \frac{T_0}{\cos{\frac{\pi z}{c}}}[/tex]

but then I can't get it toghether with the condition for T(x,b,z)...
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first of all, the "y" part of the solution must be periodic, but I'm afraid sinh & cosh are not...The same with the "z" & "x" part.

Daniel.

So the X- and the Z-part are correct, but not the Y-part?

That is easiest to do as 4 separate problems, each having 5 sides grounded.
Then add the 4 solutions.

Sorry, I do not understand.

1. What is Laplace's Equation and why is it important?

Laplace's Equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a scalar field in space. It is important because it has many applications in physics and engineering, such as in electrostatics, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer.

2. What are boundary conditions and why are they important in solving Laplace's Equation?

Boundary conditions are the conditions that must be satisfied at the boundaries of the domain in which the equation is being solved. They are important because they provide the necessary information to uniquely determine the solution to the equation.

3. Can Laplace's Equation be solved analytically?

Yes, Laplace's Equation can be solved analytically using various techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier series, and complex analysis. However, in many cases, numerical methods are used to approximate the solution.

4. What are some common techniques for solving Laplace's Equation with boundary conditions?

Some common techniques for solving Laplace's Equation with boundary conditions include the method of images, the method of conformal mapping, and finite difference methods.

5. Are there any practical applications of solving Laplace's Equation with boundary conditions?

Yes, there are many practical applications of solving Laplace's Equation with boundary conditions. Some examples include determining the electric potential in a conducting material, calculating the temperature distribution in a heat transfer problem, and predicting the flow of a fluid around an obstacle.