Want to get into microcontrollers

• Thread starter ranger
  • Start date
In summary: I've used a lot of Intel microcontrollers in the past, and they can be hard to learn for beginners. ARM processors are definitely a step up in terms of power and usability.
ranger
Gold Member
I'm currently using the BASIC Stamp (basic stamp 2) from Parallax Inc. But one module is expensive and the entire setup is rather bulky. Dont get me wrong, nothing is wrong with it. In fact since this is my first use of microcontrollers, I found that the basic stamp is a very effective in demonstrating how a microcontroller can be used in place of circuits. This particular uC uses pbasic (parallax basic). But I'm more a depth with C/C++. Is there any uC that uses C/C++ and isn't as bulky and expensive as the basic stamp. The thing I hate about the stamp is that the module must always be inserted in the programming board (BOE) for the uC to function. I really want a uC where I can just remove the uC from the programming board and insert it into a IC socket and have it function how I programmed it. Is there any such one?

--thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are literally thousands of microcontrollers that are cheap, can be programmed in C/C++, and an be programmed by general-purpose flash programming tools. You might want to look into the Motorola 68HC11, which is pretty much the world's most common microcontroller.

- Warren

Just another quick question. The C/C++ language that these use, are they the standard format or do they have a special structure? I'm asking this cause I don't see how the object oriented programming I'm doing can work for uC.

Well, the C/C++ support has nothing to do with the actual hardware you're trying to use. All that matters is your compiler, which you'll be running on a PC. If your compiler is ANSI-compliant and supports your target instruction set, then you can write ANSI-compliant C/C++ code and it'll compile and run just fine.

- Warren

In addition to the Motorola uCs, Microchip has the very popular PIC line of uCs:

http://www.microchip.com/

And then stepping up in horsepower, you cal look at the Atmel ARM processors:

http://www.atmel.com/products/product_selector.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, I think some of the coolest microcontrollers around (from a usability standpoint) are the Cypress EZ-USB micros.

They're basically just Intel 8051 microcontroller cores, augmented with built-in flash and USB transceivers. The 8051 is very popular, and there are many, many tools which you can use with it. The benefit of the USB transceiver is probably obvious: you can plug it directly into your PC and program it via USB.

- Warren

I would like to get an STK-500 and start playing with Atmel uC's. I have spent many hours programming an intel 8085 in hex and am ready to move on to something else. As far as I know the Atmels are very powerful..but what is the ARM architecture about? Berkeman mentioned it above...I was just planning on using an Atmega or something. Thanks for any help

triden said:
I would like to get an STK-500 and start playing with Atmel uC's. I have spent many hours programming an intel 8085 in hex and am ready to move on to something else. As far as I know the Atmels are very powerful..but what is the ARM architecture about? Berkeman mentioned it above...I was just planning on using an Atmega or something. Thanks for any help

I haven't used the ARM processors myself, but our software guys have been migrating designs to them. I think it has to do with the ease of use of some of the debugger features, coupled with a fair amount of power in a reasonably-priced part.

good job

good job on programming the HEX 8085 there.

1. What is a microcontroller?

A microcontroller is a small computer on a single integrated circuit that is designed to control electronic devices. It contains a processor, memory, and input/output peripherals, making it a complete computing system on a chip.

2. What can be done with a microcontroller?

Microcontrollers can be used to control and automate a wide range of electronic devices, such as appliances, robots, and industrial equipment. They can also be used in various projects and prototypes for prototyping, testing, and data collection.

3. What programming language is used for microcontrollers?

The most commonly used programming language for microcontrollers is C or C++, although some microcontrollers also support other languages such as Python and Java. It is important to choose a language that is supported by the specific microcontroller being used.

4. Do I need special equipment to work with microcontrollers?

Yes, you will need a programmer and a development board to work with microcontrollers. A programmer is used to transfer the program from the computer to the microcontroller, while a development board provides a platform for testing and debugging the code.

5. Can I learn how to work with microcontrollers without any prior experience?

Yes, it is possible to learn how to work with microcontrollers even without any prior experience. There are many online resources, tutorials, and courses available that can help beginners learn the basics of microcontroller programming and circuit design.