Ghent & Leuven University: Pros & Cons

• Schools
  • Thread starter Swatje
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for advice on which university to choose for studying physics in Belgium. Two options, Ghent University and Leuven University, are being considered and the person is asking for the pros and cons of each. The speakers discuss the cities and the quality of education in both universities, with one suggesting Ghent and the other mentioning the research opportunities at Leuven. VUB is also suggested as an option. Ultimately, the person is advised to go for Ghent University due to its reputation and location.
Swatje
Hey guys,

I'm planning on studying physics next year, here in Belgium, now I don't know if you guys would even know one of these universities.

I'm considering:

Ghent University
and
Leuven University

If any of you lads would know pro's and con's, or even know one at all, it would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Both are nice places to be a student -- have lived in Leuven and been to conferefences in Ghent.

Ghent's one of my favourite Belgian towns -- good food and beer :smile:

Leuven is easier to get too -- practically a stop from Brussel :smile:

How well do you know Belgium? I could go into more specifics if you don't know it geographically -- including the location of the unis.

ps: marlon ( https://www.physicsforums.com/member.php?u=13790 ) will know a hting or two about Leuven.

Last edited:
Well, I live not far from Ghent, but a load of my friends are going to Leuven, so I wouldn't have a clue which one to pick. The distance doesn't really matter, what matters is the quality of the education, maybe the morevalue of the diploma if there is one, or maybe the research going on.

I really don't think you could go wrong by picking either of them -- I know that Leuven has a lot of spin-off companies/research places, eg. IMEC where marlon studies.

However, I've always been impressed with the quality of Ghent -- is it not one of the oldest unis in the world?

Have you considered VUB? They have some really good optics people.

Swatje said:
Hey guys,

I'm planning on studying physics next year, here in Belgium, now I don't know if you guys would even know one of these universities.

I'm considering:

Ghent University
and
Leuven University

If any of you lads would know pro's and con's, or even know one at all, it would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

Indeed, there is not really a big difference between the UGent and the KUL. I went to the Ugent and now, i do my phd in the KUL and IMEC. If i were you , i would go for Ghent, which is a fantastic city to live in, but i am sure you already know that.

marlon

marlon said:
Indeed, there is not really a big difference between the UGent and the KUL. I went to the Ugent and now, i do my phd in the KUL and IMEC. If i were you , i would go for Ghent, which is a fantastic city to live in, but i am sure you already know that.

marlon

Yes, they both seem to be fantastic cities. Thanks for the advice anyhow! I think we visited the IMEC with the class. Not shure though. :D

1. What are the main advantages of attending Ghent and Leuven University?

Some of the main advantages of attending these universities include their highly-ranked academic programs, multicultural and diverse student population, opportunities for international exchange and collaboration, and strong connections to industry and research institutions.

2. Are there any drawbacks to studying at Ghent and Leuven University?

Some potential drawbacks could include a competitive admissions process, high tuition fees for international students, and potential language barriers for non-Dutch speakers. Additionally, the workload and academic expectations may be challenging for some students.

3. What are the areas of study that Ghent and Leuven University are known for?

Ghent and Leuven University are both well-known for their programs in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM), as well as social sciences, economics, and business. They also have strong programs in the arts and humanities.

4. Are there opportunities for research and practical experience at Ghent and Leuven University?

Yes, both universities offer numerous opportunities for students to engage in research projects and gain practical experience through internships, co-op programs, and industry partnerships. They also have state-of-the-art facilities and resources for research and experimentation.

5. How does the cost of attending Ghent and Leuven University compare to other universities in Europe?

The cost of attending these universities may be higher compared to some other universities in Europe, particularly for international students. However, they also offer a range of scholarships and financial aid options to help students with their expenses. Additionally, the high quality of education and opportunities for career advancement may make it a worthwhile investment.