Proving that a sequence is confined to a certain interval

In summary, the sequence 1-(-1/2)^n is eventually confined to [0,a]. We must prove this, but we can ignore the negative sign for even powers.
Claire84
In class we were given the following sequence-

(0,1 1/2, 3/4, 1 1/8, 15/16, 1 1/32 ...)

So it's alternating about zero. We're told then that given any number a>1 it s true to say that the sequence (xn) is eventually confined t [0,a]

We now have to prove this...

Inworked out the formula for the sequence t be 1- (-1/2)^(n-1) but I'm not sure if that was necessary or not.

Then I set about getting the poof by working backwards to get an idea of what it was going to be like, but I'm confuse because it's an alternating sequence and we haven't done any like that yet. I asked one o the phd guys about it and they looked at it for half an hour and couldn't do it, but it's only a level 1 problem so can someone else give some feedback on it? Here's what I've come up with so far for my idea for the proof...

Since we have n>no

1- (-1/2)n-1 > 1-(-1/2)^(no-1) for even powers...

so we have a> 1- (1/2)^(n-1)

(-1/2)^(n-1)>1-a

since it's an even power you could then have-

1/2^(n-1)> 1-a

2/(2^n)>1-a

so you could then start the proof with a number (1-a)/2>0

Hoqwever, I don't know what to do for uneven powers because then wouldn't 1-(-1/2)^(n-1) < 1- (-1/2)^(no -1)

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track.

Let a_n be the sequence 1-(-1/2)^n as given

we must show that for all a>1, a_n<a for all n sufficiently large.

Given a, let N be chosen such that 2^(-N)<a-1, which can be done (by eg archimedes' axiom)

|a_n| <= 1+(1/2)^n for all n (ie we can ignore the minus sign) and if n>N then |a_n| < 1+(1/2)^N < a

Last edited:
|a_n| <= 1+(1/2)^n for all n (ie we can ignore the minus sign)

is this because this would have bee like the odd power and therefore the 2 minuses cancel out? And then you don't really need to think about the even power thing I dscribed because it's obviously going to be less than one? Would you still need to go through the even power situation? Sorry, this is all a bit new to me but I'm glad I actually managed to do something relatively logical in my first post.:smile:

yep, (-x)^n = -(x^n) if n is odd, so the signs cancel. you at least need to state that the n even case is clearly always less than 1

Aha, thanks for that! Suddenly feeling very brainy! *cough* ell a least it shows I'm enthusiatsic that I'm doing Maths on St.Patrick's day!

1. How do you determine if a sequence is confined to a certain interval?

To determine if a sequence is confined to a certain interval, you must first examine the values in the sequence. If all the values fall within the given interval, then the sequence is confined to that interval.

2. What is the importance of proving that a sequence is confined to a certain interval?

Proving that a sequence is confined to a certain interval is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the sequence and make accurate predictions about its future values. It also helps us to identify any patterns or trends within the sequence.

3. What methods can be used to prove that a sequence is confined to a certain interval?

There are several methods that can be used to prove that a sequence is confined to a certain interval. These include using the squeeze theorem, the monotone convergence theorem, and the Cauchy convergence criterion.

4. Can a sequence be confined to more than one interval?

Yes, a sequence can be confined to more than one interval. This means that all the values in the sequence fall within multiple intervals, rather than just one.

5. What are the potential consequences if a sequence is not confined to a certain interval?

If a sequence is not confined to a certain interval, it may exhibit unpredictable behavior and become unbounded. This can make it difficult to analyze or make predictions about the sequence, which can hinder our understanding of the phenomenon that the sequence represents.