What are those bubbles in my beer?

In summary, the active ingredient in alcohol takes up a lot of space and has a considerable vapor pressure, so some ethanol is evaporating out of the solution but not as fast as carbon dioxide. Carbonation may help slow down reactions that would make the beer taste bad, and people prefer the taste of a carbonated beverage. The majority of what evaporates is likely o=c=o and a small amount of CH3-CH2-OH, with the ethanol possibly being slightly higher due to its strong smell.
Brock
I heard alcohol evaporates, also the carbon dioxcide pop does the samething, am I loseing alcohol percentage when I let my beer stand?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Judging by your typing skills, I'd venture you're still getting plenty.

- Warren

No. It would take a very, very, very long time for any chemical reaction to take place. People often forget that alcohol isn't like other drugs like THC or Ex in which the active ingredient has a very small mass...Alcohol takes up a lot of space. In some spirits (100 proof) the alcohol itself takes up 50% of the volume. Unless your beer is shrinking, I'd say you're safe.

Brock said:
I heard alcohol evaporates, also the carbon dioxcide pop does the samething, am I loseing alcohol percentage when I let my beer stand?

Most of it is carbon dioxide, ethanol has a considerable vapor pressure so yes, some ethanol is evaporating out of the solution, however not as fast as the carbon dioxide although I wonder just what role carbon dioxide has, if any, in keeping the ethanol in the solution.

Im pretty sure its carbonated just like soda pop to help slow down the reactions that might occur that would make it taste bad before you had a chance to drink it. Also I think that people prefer the taste of a carbonated beverage over a "Flat" one because it has a taste people relate to "fresh".

I would have to guess that 99.9 percent or so is o=c=o and the other .01% CH3-CH2-OH of what evaporates by the time you drink it. Actually the EtOH is probably a bit higher because i know beer smells really strong sometimes.

I could be wrong though on the first part... oh look at the time its beer thirty. Time to go drink!

Last edited:

1. What causes the bubbles in beer?

The bubbles in beer are primarily caused by carbon dioxide gas, which is a byproduct of the fermentation process. During fermentation, yeast converts sugars into alcohol and carbon dioxide. The carbon dioxide then rises to the top of the beer, creating bubbles.

2. Why do some beers have more bubbles than others?

The amount of bubbles in beer can vary depending on the type of beer and how it was brewed. Beers with higher levels of carbonation, such as lagers and some ales, will typically have more bubbles. The temperature and glassware used can also affect the amount of bubbles in beer.

3. Do bubbles affect the taste of beer?

Yes, bubbles can affect the taste of beer. The carbon dioxide in bubbles helps to release aromatic compounds, which can enhance the overall flavor and aroma of the beer. Additionally, the carbonation can add a refreshing and crisp sensation to the beer.

4. Can the bubbles in beer indicate its quality?

The bubbles in beer do not necessarily indicate its quality. However, if a beer has a consistent and steady stream of bubbles, it can be a sign of a well-brewed and properly carbonated beer. On the other hand, if a beer has no bubbles or very few bubbles, it may indicate a problem with the fermentation process or a lack of carbonation.

5. How do you pour beer to get the perfect amount of bubbles?

To get the perfect amount of bubbles in your beer, it is important to pour it correctly. Start by tilting the glass at a 45-degree angle and pour the beer slowly down the side of the glass. As the glass fills up, gradually tilt it upright and continue pouring. This will help to release the carbon dioxide and create a nice, foamy head on the beer with a good amount of bubbles.