Making a simple hi-speed camera

• Thread starter Mins
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Camera
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of making a simple hi-speed camera or a multiple flash making machine. The speaker suggests using a camera with a high shutter speed and a strobe flash to capture rapid movement. They also provide a link to information about strobe lights and suggest trying a small camera-flash circuit first to avoid potential electrocution. The conversation ends with the speaker responding to the idea of being electrocuted with disbelief and warning about the dangers of working with high voltage equipment.
Mins
Just curious...

How can you make a simple hi-speed camera or a multiple flash making machine(?)?

If there is a way, do tell :biggrin:.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm going to assume here that you're referring to a still camera that can capture rapid movement, rather than a movie camera with a high frame-rate.
I don't know the specific details, but you should have a camera with the highest shutter speed available, along with a strobe flash that can be triggered by the event that you want to capture. A dark environment helps. In a lightless room, though, you can just leave the shutter open and rely entirely upon the flash for your exposure duration. You might need more sensitive film than usual because of the shortness of exposure. There are a lot of excellent photographers in PF, so some of them can probably help you a lot more.

Here's a short introduction to strobe lights at wikipedia, and you might find more useful info at one of the references listed (or just do a google search on strobe lights):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strobe_light

Mins said:
I was trying to MAKE a strobe light,(because it's expensive, can't afford it) but I think it's impossible.

You think it's impossible to make a strobe light? I don't understand. Show me some of the google hits that you've gotten that show detailed schematics, and tell me what is impossible about them.

berkeman said:
You think it's impossible to make a strobe light? I don't understand. Show me some of the google hits that you've gotten that show detailed schematics, and tell me what is impossible about them.

http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/strobe.asp

Maybe not impossible, yes it's certainly possible, but it looks complicated to me.
And how those parts cost, I wonder?

$20 at Radio shack would be my guess. If you've never seen a circuit drawing maybe it looks complicated, but there aren't even a dozen components there. You should be able to assemble it and solder it together in about an hour, on the first try.

Warning: That strobe light worked on 110V - I recommend trying a small camera-flash circuit first. A big strobe light can kill you.

Warning: That strobe light worked on 110V - I recommend trying a small camera-flash circuit first. A big strobe light can kill you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. You mean I can be electrocuted? Great///

Mins said:
Warning: That strobe light worked on 110V - I recommend trying a small camera-flash circuit first. A big strobe light can kill you.

Thanks. You mean I can be electrocuted? Great///[/QUOTE]

You are kidding around, right? Of course you can get a lethal shock from what you are workin with...

1. How does a hi-speed camera work?

A hi-speed camera works by capturing a sequence of images at a very high frame rate, typically much faster than the standard 24 frames per second in film or video. These images are then played back at a slower frame rate, allowing for slow-motion playback. The camera uses advanced sensors and processing technology to capture and store these high-speed images.

2. What are the benefits of using a hi-speed camera?

Hi-speed cameras are beneficial for capturing fast-moving or high-speed events that cannot be seen by the naked eye. They allow for detailed analysis of motion and can help with troubleshooting and improvement of processes. They are also used in various industries such as sports, science, and filmmaking to capture unique and visually stunning footage.

3. What are the key components of a hi-speed camera?

The key components of a hi-speed camera include an advanced image sensor, a fast shutter speed, a high frame rate, and a large memory capacity for storing the high-speed images. The camera may also have additional features such as adjustable exposure and resolution, as well as the ability to synchronize with other devices for precise timing.

4. Can I make my own hi-speed camera?

Yes, it is possible to make a simple hi-speed camera using readily available components such as a digital camera, a high-speed memory card, and a computer with video editing software. However, creating a professional-quality hi-speed camera with advanced features would require specialized knowledge and equipment.

5. What are some tips for using a hi-speed camera effectively?

Some tips for using a hi-speed camera effectively include understanding the camera's capabilities and limitations, using proper lighting and shutter speed settings, and experimenting with different frame rates to achieve the desired effect. It is also important to have a clear plan and purpose for using the hi-speed camera to ensure the best results.