Discussions on answer of a problem

• Thread starter neelakash
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the time taken for a particle to slide down a smooth inclined plane in an elevator with an upward acceleration. There is a discrepancy between the calculated accelerations in an inertial frame and a non-inertial frame, leading to a discussion about the normal reaction force and potential mistakes in the equations. The conclusion is that the acceleration in the elevator frame should be greater due to the added acceleration of the elevator.
neelakash
I want to discuss the answers (what I get and what is given) of the following problem:

A particle slides down a smooth inclined plane of elevation θ,fixed in an elevator going up with an acceleration a.The base of the incline has a length L.Find the time taken by the particle to reach the bottom.

Working from an inertial frame I got the acceleration down the incline as (g-a) sinθ whereas working from elevator frame(non-inertial) one gets the acceleration down the incline as (g+a) sinθ.Why is there a difference?
Normally,when we see an object from outside an elevator and from the elevator,we se that the normal reaction force to be the same.So,what is making the difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
You do know which equation doesn't contain a mistake, right?

I think that there is some mistake that I am making.Otherwise the forces should be the same...
when I get it I will post that.

The second one is correct. Since the elevator is accelerating upward, the acceleration adds to gravity.

The first answer is with respect to the ground.Show me that it is incorrect!

Because it is obviously unphysical for the solution to pass through zero as the upward acceleration increases.. The particle should slide faster, not turn around and go up the slope.

Yes...I had done a mistake...
Now it is clear...

What is the purpose of discussing the answer to a problem?

The purpose of discussing the answer to a problem is to gain a deeper understanding of the problem and its solution. By engaging in discussions, different perspectives and approaches can be shared, leading to a more comprehensive and well-rounded understanding of the problem.

How do discussions on the answer of a problem help in the scientific process?

Discussions on the answer of a problem can help in the scientific process by promoting critical thinking, encouraging collaboration and teamwork, and allowing for the exploration of alternative solutions. This can lead to a more thorough evaluation of the problem and its potential solutions.

What are some common methods for conducting discussions on the answer of a problem?

Some common methods for conducting discussions on the answer of a problem include group discussions, debates, brainstorming sessions, and peer reviews. These methods allow for the exchange of ideas and can help in identifying strengths and weaknesses of different solutions.

How can discussions on the answer of a problem be used to improve scientific research?

Discussions on the answer of a problem can be used to improve scientific research by providing valuable insights and feedback on the research process and its findings. This can help in identifying potential flaws or limitations in the research and can lead to new ideas for further investigation.

What are some potential challenges that may arise during discussions on the answer of a problem?

Some potential challenges that may arise during discussions on the answer of a problem include differences in opinions, conflicts among team members, and difficulty in coming to a consensus. It is important to have a facilitator or mediator to ensure that discussions remain productive and respectful.