How Do I Find the Time for Halibut Biomass to Reach 10% of Carrying Capacity?

In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the time it takes for the biomass of halibut to reach 10% of its carrying capacity, using the formula y(t)= 8x10^7/(1+3e^-.71t). The variables involved are M (carrying capacity), t (time), and y(t) (population). The goal is to determine the value of t when y(t) is within 10% of M. There is confusion about how to find t without knowing y(t), but it is suggested to start with t=0 and use that to find the other value of t. The starting time for this problem is not specified.
Bionerd

Homework Statement

This problem is driving me crazy because it seems so simple yet I can't get the right answer. We're looking for how long it takes for the biomass of halibut to get within 10% of carrying capacity (look below).

Homework Equations

We have to use this formula: y(t)= 8x10^7/(1+3e^-.71t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know. How do I find t without knowing y(t)? Everyone I've asked so far has said, "Just plug in". Just plug in what? I know M needs to be changed, and that's about it. The correct answer is 4.6. I'm so confused. Help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are y and t?
What is "carrying capacity"?
What is M?

M is carrying capacity (10% of 8x10^7), t is time (which I'm looking for), and y(t) is the population. I'm confused because I don't have t or y(t).

Well, how does biomass relate to anything? Proportional to population, I suppose? You should name the constant of proportionality, if it's going to be relevant.

The carrying capacity is 10% of 8 * 10^7? That seems an odd definition; why the 10%? Anyways, I suppose from context that it's a measure of biomass.

Well, you know what 10% of the carrying capacity is. (right?) That seems like a place to start.

Last edited:
Biomass is just the math book's way of saying population.

So I'm looking for the time at which population, y(t), is within 10% of carrying capacity (M, which equals 8.7x10^7). My problem is that I don't know y(t), so how do I find t? Should I plug in, say, t=0 and find y(0), then use that to find the other t? That doesn't make sense to me, since population is changing, but it's the only way I can phathom.

Well, you do know a the value of

y(the time when the biomass is within 10% of the carrying capacity),

right?

I guess since you're trying to answer "how long", you need a starting time and an ending time. The ending time would presumably be

the time when the biomass is within 10% of the carrying capacity,

does the problem give an indication of the starting time? With no other information, I'd probably guess that you start waiting when time = 0.

1. What is logistic differentiation?

Logistic differentiation is a mathematical model used in population ecology to describe the growth of a population over time when resources are limited. It takes into account the carrying capacity of a habitat, or the maximum number of individuals that can be supported in a given area.

2. How is logistic differentiation different from other population models?

Logistic differentiation differs from other population models, such as the exponential growth model, in that it takes into account the limiting factors of resources and competition. This makes it a more realistic and accurate representation of population growth in natural environments.

3. What are the key components of logistic differentiation?

The key components of logistic differentiation are the initial population size, the carrying capacity of the habitat, and the growth rate of the population. These factors interact to determine the growth trajectory of the population over time.

4. How is logistic differentiation used in scientific research?

Logistic differentiation is commonly used in scientific research, particularly in ecology and biology, to model and predict population dynamics. It can also be applied to other fields, such as economics and sociology, to study the growth and decline of human populations.

5. Can logistic differentiation be used to predict the future of a population?

Yes, logistic differentiation can be used to make predictions about the future growth or decline of a population. By inputting data on the initial population size, carrying capacity, and growth rate, scientists can use the model to estimate how the population will change over time and under different environmental conditions.